Chest pain, GERD symptoms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann74

Jun 19, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm posting here because I've reached peak frustration levels with some mystery symptoms that have yet to be diagnosed by medical doctors, and I thought maybe someone would have a similar experience and could offer insights.

I smoked cigarettes for about 20 years, quit for 2 years, started again like an idiot and smoked for a year, and then discovered Juul (5% menthol) and quit tobacco completely for more than a year now. Started out moderately, but pretty soon I was Juuling at my desk during all waking hours, so I knew I needed to cut down, but kept doing it.

About 3 months ago, I started noticing mild pain/tightness in my left chest area. The main spot is in my left pectoral region, right around my left breast, over to my left neck area, armpit and shoulder, and down my left ribs, left arm and left hand, and left side of my back. It's not super painful, but it almost feels like a giant bruise or bad muscle strain on that left side. And whenever I vaped, it got tighter and more intense in that area, along with feeling like my heart was racing or fluttering.

So I cut down on vaping, and even tried to switch to lower or no-nicotine liquids. But no matter what, the symptoms got worse whenever I vaped. I even bummed a cigarette to see what would happen (I know, so stupid, but I didn't start again!), and that caused the symptoms to become worse. So I tried switching to nicotine lozenges or nicotine gum (2mg). That caused the pressure/tightness to become worse, too. Finally, I just quit everything and I've had zero nicotine products, vaping, etc. for 11 days now. It's hard to enjoy when you feel like you're having a heart attack, so I figured I'd use my fear of death to finally just quit cold turkey.

Problem is, even without vaping or smoking or using the lozenges, the symptoms still remain. Going on 2 weeks with zero nicotine, and I'm still waking up with a tight feeling in my left chest area.

And now, for the past 3 days, I'm also having a burning acid reflux feeling, and issues swallowing and feeling like there's food caught in the middle of my chest when I eat. I'm trying not to freak out and assume it's esophageal cancer or something, but it's hard not to imagine worst-case scenarios when you don't know what is going on and you keep googling symptoms. There's a chance all my anxiety about this stuff is causing GERD.

I have already been to the emergency room 3 times, and every time my EKG is normal. In the past 2.5 months, I have had a chest X-ray, an MPI, a nuclear stress test, a lung function test, a cardiac monitor (5 days), a CTA of the chest, a thyroid ultrasound, a bunch of blood tests, and none of these show any signs of heart or lung problems. Perfectly healthy.

Next week I'm getting a cardiac PET scan and another type of CTA to make sure it's not weird microvascular issues. I don't think that's it, though, because the cardiologist gave me nitroglycerin as a trial, and it didn't do anything to ease the soreness in the chest.

And I'm going to request an upper endoscopy to make sure there's not some big issue with my esophagus or GI system.

Anyway, this is my health saga. If anyone has had a similar experience that finally just went away, please let me know. I'm trying to alleviate my anxiety by posting here, which is probably a mistake, but I thought maybe someone out there has had similar symptoms, and maybe you'll say: "Oh, that's just GERD, don't worry!" :)

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Northstar6

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2019
Nicotine can exacerbate acid reflux, as well as diet - caffeine, coffee, chocolate, tomatoes are all culprits, too.

Sleeping with your head propped up a bit more can help if you expirience it a lot at night.

If it persists definitely see a doctor but there are numerous OTC remedies; Prilosec has been used for years and works well if you have frequently problems. If it's less frequent and severe, Tums and Rolaids give quick, short term relief.

• Agree

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I get similar symptoms when my body is out of wack. I use stretching and visit a chiro. For me, it's muscle tension in upper back and neck. And yeah, prilosec. Although, you can get Gerd easily from your body being out of wack structurally. If you don't trust a chiro, you can visit an MD for the same reason and maybe physical therapy.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2019
    London
    I had a lot of those symptoms and despite numerous tests concluding my heart and lungs were fine they persisted. I pestered my health service for around two years. I ain't just gonna go away and stay quiet because the experts say I'm fine. Which is what they were saying.

Turned out I have a hiatus hernia and part of me stomach pops up above the diaphragm from time to time causing all sorts of problems, invariably leaving me feeling like death is imminent. It's not life threatening but it's a bugger to live with.

Don't go away just because the doctors can't find the cause of the problem.

Ann74

Jun 19, 2019
    I had a lot of those symptoms and despite numerous tests concluding my heart and lungs were fine they persisted. I pestered my health service for around two years. I ain't just gonna go away and stay quiet because the experts say I'm fine. Which is what they were saying.

Turned out I have a hiatus hernia and part of me stomach pops up above the diaphragm from time to time causing all sorts of problems, invariably leaving me feeling like death is imminent. It's not life threatening but it's a bugger to live with.

Thank you, this sounds like something to definitely investigate. I get VA health benefits and they have a new thing where you can email your doctor, so I will share this theory with him (I am driving all the doctors nuts trying to figure this out, but the comments here are more helpful than anyone I've talked to in the past 3 months). As Mick Jagger says, what a drag it is getting old...

Ann74

Jun 19, 2019

I had an endoscopy yesterday and guess what? I have a hiatal hernia. Thank you very much for the tip! If you google it, you can find lots of YouTube videos with various exercises to help. I just tried these and it actually seems to help relieve the symptoms.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2019
    London
    I had an endoscopy yesterday and guess what? I have a hiatal hernia. Thank you very much for the tip! If you google it, you can find lots of YouTube videos with various exercises to help. I just tried these and it actually seems to help relieve the symptoms.

Glad you've had some progress. The thing is as you will have already noticed, every time it plays up you think you're gonna die. Happy days.

Ann74

Jun 19, 2019
    Glad you've had some progress. The thing is as you will have already noticed, every time it plays up you think you're gonna die. Happy days.
    Yes, the most disturbing symptom is feeling like a heart flutter/chest pain. Of course the doctors automatically think I need to take anxiety meds. Turns out, it's just a symptom of this stupid hernia. Glad I kept pushing for answers vs. just popping another pill.

Northstar6

ECF Veteran
    May 16, 2019
    Yes, the most disturbing symptom is feeling like a heart flutter/chest pain. Of course the doctors automatically think I need to take anxiety meds. Turns out, it's just a symptom of this stupid hernia. Glad I kept pushing for answers vs. just popping another pill.
    In some cases with an issue like that something like a beta blocker might be more effective than an anxiety med, especially something like a benzo if there's no real anxiety symptoms present.

Ann74

Jun 19, 2019
    Thanks again everyone. Probably TMI here, but I also found out I have thrush on my esophagus. So basically "vaper's tongue" most likely spread to my esophagus. I'm taking an anti-fungal pill for that and quitting all forms of nicotine or anything you have to inhale (besides air, LOL).

Just too many weird symptoms, feels like my whole system is out of whack, like I'm coming off speed or something. Not worth it.

Granted, I may have been masking some things with the smoking and then the constant vaping, and now it's all hitting me at once -- whatever the case, it's time to reset. Probiotics, stretching, exercise, fresh air, cutting out sugar and gluten and refined foods for awhile. Wheeee. :)

Last edited:

Ann74

Jun 19, 2019
    Ach one of those healthier life style kinda things. Meh. :D
    Haha, yes, I've been trying to avoid a health kick for awhile but the time has come :) I tend to go to one extreme or the other. If you can vape in moderation, it's great. If you hit the Juul all day long for a year, you might end up with some issues, especially if you tend to get sick easily.

Last edited:
    • Optimistic
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread