Chest pain from variant angina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann74

Jun 19, 2019
I agree with you, once again. It helped me to quit, but in the process, I got super addicted and used it way too much, justifying it and making excuses because it's a safer alternative. I never claimed that vaping caused any of this 100%. In my original post, I'm clearly sharing the information for anyone with similar symptoms that started after a lot of heavy vaping, who can't figure out what is happening. I went through a year of major anxiety and a crapload of testing to figure it out, and I wish someone had mentioned variant angina from the get-go, since there is a test for it, and in the meantime, doctors will look at you like you're nuts because all the other tests say you are fine. It would have saved me a lot of time and money. I blame myself for smoking, for bad stress management, and for using the juul at my desk at all waking hours. That isn't good for anyone.
And the same goes for esophageal motility issues. Again, I don't blame vaping 100%, but when you're sucking down vapor with flavoring and high nicotine all day, every day, it can't be great for the esophagus, especially if you are already prone to issues.

Ann74

Jun 19, 2019
i can say it saved my life ..but wouldn't touch a juul .. i've been vaping 9-10 yrs..
in much better health now than i was ..
but why high nic ? i do 10mg..
I wish I would have started with lower nicotine. You have the right idea. Unfortunately, now I get symptoms from every level of nicotine. Even nicotine gum gives me spasms.

Reactions: stols001

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Through the tone of your discussion, it appears you want to believe that "Juuling" (despise that term) caused or contributed to your medical condition(s). Something that caught my attention in your OP was that you started vaping a Juul during a very stressful time. Did it ever occur to you that stress can kill, and it's death through coronary stress, believe it or not. While you make an observation about potential vaping harm, be sure to open your perception beyond a tunnel. It does no service to declare a potential medical harm without scientific research, nor a degree in medicine. Thanks, though.

Ya know, now that I think about it, your terminology of "Juul" lends another topic; you are aware that there are countless, superior choices to get your vaping fix, right?

Ann74

Jun 19, 2019
Through the tone of your discussion, it appears you want to believe that "Juuling" (despise that term) caused or contributed to your medical condition(s). Something that caught my attention in your OP was that you started vaping a Juul during a very stressful time. Did it ever occur to you that stress can kill, and it's death through coronary stress, believe it or not. While you make an observation about potential vaping harm, be sure to open your perception beyond a tunnel. It does no service to declare a potential medical harm without scientific research, nor a degree in medicine. Thanks, though.

Ya know, now that I think about it, your terminology of "Juul" lends another topic; you are aware that there are countless, superior choices to get your vaping fix, right?
Yes, I know. Juul just happened to be the most like a cigarette for me, which made it very easy to quit tobacco. However, I just way overdid it with the Juul and overall nicotine levels. Then when I tried vaping on other devices or with other liquids, I had already built up a sensitivity (and I tried numerous devices, PG/VG ratios, flavors, no flavor, etc.). I get coronary spasms when I vape or use any nicotine. That is a fact. Maybe it wasn't caused by the Juul, maybe it was partly Juul and partly stress, but it's here now and I have to either stop vaping or get spasms (or go to no-nicotine liquid, which I don't really enjoy and get other issues from). I chose to stop.

I wish I had never posted this on this forum, because now I'm going to have finger wagging from avid vapers over my lack of a medical degree and the incorrect use of terminology (for who knows how long). "Well, actually...." style vape-splaining. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to delete anything on this forum, nor to delete your account.

I was simply trying to share the symptoms of variant angina (in the health and safety forum), since it's an extremely hard condition to diagnose, and I've seen multiple people who vape here and on Reddit complaining about similar symptoms. I think there are people who do well with vaping, and those who don't. I'm one of the latter people.

Last edited:

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
You could try meditation to help with your stress. Anxiety can be treated with mild pharamaceuticals and natural remedies, as well.

I don't think you have to worry too much about members "tagging" you as "the palpitator" lol. ECF is a very caring, friendly place. Good luck with your treatment! :toast:

Ann74

Jun 19, 2019
You could try meditation to help with your stress. Anxiety can be treated with mild pharamaceuticals and natural remedies, as well.

I don't think you have to worry too much about members "tagging" you as "the palpitator" lol. ECF is a very caring, friendly place. Good luck with your treatment! :toast:
Thank you. I have found that the vape community is very helpful, and believe me, I have tried just about every combo of devices and liquids because I really do enjoy vaping. Unfortunately, I just have to come to terms with the fact that my body reacts very negatively to nicotine. I wish I had started vaping with very low nicotine to quit smoking, but that probably wouldn't have worked anyway.

martin1001

Jul 22, 2020
thank you so much @Ann74 for your post. It's an important post. I do believe there exists a psychological process to justify to yourself that vaping is ok, unfortunately: it kids you into thinking that it's never vaping that is causing your condition. It's part of the addiction IMO, IMO ! I ended up in A&E with stabbing pains a few weeks ago that was diagnosed as pleurisy - and antibiotics had no effect. I still have lower chest discomfort/pain. I tried reducing nicotine concentration (from 18mg to 12mg) , lowering the power of my device to 5W :) and changing the mix of PG/VG. I have only vaped nic/PG/VG with no flavour. There is no doubt in my mind that MY pleurisy and lung discomfort/pain is caused by vaping. The pleura is quite high up the chest cavity, actually - and the discomfort/pain stretches from MY lower pleura to further down my back. Today I gave up vaping altogether

Human Anatomy and Disease in Interactive 3D | BioDigital Human Platform

Reactions: Ann74

Ann74

Jun 19, 2019
thank you so much @Ann74 for your post. It's an important post. I do believe there exists a psychological process to justify to yourself that vaping is ok, unfortunately: it kids you into thinking that it's never vaping that is causing your condition. It's part of the addiction IMO, IMO ! I ended up in A&E with stabbing pains a few weeks ago that was diagnosed as pleurisy - and antibiotics had no effect. I still have lower chest discomfort/pain. I tried reducing nicotine concentration (from 18mg to 12mg) , lowering the power of my device to 5W :) and changing the mix of PG/VG. I have only vaped nic/PG/VG with no flavour. There is no doubt in my mind that MY pleurisy and lung discomfort/pain is caused by vaping. The pleura is quite high up the chest cavity, actually - and the discomfort/pain stretches from MY lower pleura to further down my back. Today I gave up vaping altogether

Human Anatomy and Disease in Interactive 3D | BioDigital Human Platform
Thank you! I'm sorry to hear about your medical issues and hope you recover fully soon! Yes, I was definitely one of the people who pounced on everyone for daring to blame vaping for anything (do you have a medical degree? how dare you say anything bad about my favorite addiction?)... that is, until I got a bunch of weird-... crap happening to my body after a year of heavy vaping. It's one thing to use it for quitting smoking. It's another thing to vape all day, every day, with high levels of nicotine, and yell at anyone who says it might be causing some health issues. That is classic addictive behavior and anyone who acts that way is totally in denial. Good luck to you and thanks for responding.

• Agree
Reactions: martin1001

martin1001

Jul 22, 2020
Hey @martin1001 , hi. That sounds terrible!
How long did you vape for and how long did you smoke for.

Thanks, @Jebbn - I smoked for many years and had given up for 10 years before I decided to start vaping. I started vaping on 9th May 2019 - so vaped for 14 months until today - and vaped heavily - nearly all the time - 18mg, no flavour, 70% PG, 30% VG for the first 12 months until I got the symptoms I describe - then tried making adjustments for the last 2 months

Ann74

Jun 19, 2019
You hadn't Smoked for 10 Years?
I never said I hadn't smoked for 10 years. That was another person who is having health issues. Do you have no better way to spend time than doing "gotchas" that aren't even directed to the right person? Anyway, I never criticized anyone for vaping. All I was doing was sharing my symptoms, which are related to vaping, no matter how many times you come back here to tell me they aren't. Have a lovely night.

Reactions: taukimada

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I never said I hadn't smoked for 10 years. That was another person who is having health issues. Do you have no better way to spend time than doing "gotchas" that aren't even directed to the right person? Anyway, I never criticized anyone for vaping. All I was doing was sharing my symptoms, which are related to vaping, no matter how many times you come back here to tell me they aren't. Have a lovely night.

My Mistake.

Mixed up the Red Avatars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread