CHI YOU $27 clone from Fasttech, more on that battery warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Militancy

Feb 24, 2013
Huntsville, AL
I'm a little late to the thread here, but I thought I'd point out that one could simply insert the CGR18650CH backwards (positive post facing button) to prevent shorting. Button throw is normal length (slightly longer if you've slightly crushed the small not-quite-button-top positive face overzealously tightening a telescope) and no matter how hard I shake it and wiggle it, I cannot get it to auto-fire.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I'm a little late to the thread here, but I thought I'd point out that one could simply insert the CGR18650CH backwards (positive post facing button) to prevent shorting. Button throw is normal length (slightly longer if you've slightly crushed the small not-quite-button-top positive face overzealously tightening a telescope) and no matter how hard I shake it and wiggle it, I cannot get it to auto-fire.

Excellent idea

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
It is generally recommended that you don't flip batteries.
Problem is if the wrap on the battery becomes damaged with the battery flipped, you get in instant hard short.
You really don't want that happening.
With the battery negative down, if the wrapper becomes damaged, worst thing that happens is the mod will fire.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
It is generally recommended that you don't flip batteries.
Problem is if the wrap on the battery becomes damaged with the battery flipped, you get in instant hard short.
You really don't want that happening.
With the battery negative down, if the wrapper becomes damaged, worst thing that happens is the mod will fire.
Well said and quite correct

Militancy

Feb 24, 2013
Huntsville, AL
The wrapper would have to be significantly and obviously damaged. Nicks and small chunks are still held from the wall by what wrap remains. One of my panny's is in pretty rough shape with large gouges and cuts In the wrapper and it doesn't short. Far from ideal, but not as unsafe as one would think.

Either way, it would only hard short with the button pressed. The button getting painfully hot as soon as you push it is generally a good indication that something's off.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
I took my bench buffer to my CYC with the hope of removing the logos, well while it is painted the paint is on top of an etched pattern so now I have very "light" logos as seen in this picture.
999577_685972874760273_1803425884_n.jpg

USinchains

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
The Terrordrome, FL
www.myspace.com
That vid erks me a bit because I don't agree that it really hurts the original designer, especially in the ecig modding industry where updates have always come as fast as new software. The people with this highly vocal argument are almost always disgruntled owners or designers of the real product, I guarantee none of them ever have or ever will show you proof that counterfeiting has put a modder out of bussiness. Anyone selling a real Chi will still get the full, inflated value.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Here is the finished bottom cap, the insulator is held in place with a bit of contact cement and I built the contact screw head back up with silver bearing solder. I replaced the original positive contact screw also. I'm now able to use all 18650 batteries in the 65 mm length even the Panasonics with the bare bottoms (don't have any though)
1377438_675200199170874_2024364121_n.jpg
I finally got around to doing the same thing to one of my brass Chi clones, I'd take a picture but trust me it looks exactly the same except for the brass. One more to go. This mod allows for the battery to fit more solidly without the screw almost falling out.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Now on the other end there is a problem of a different nature but easily remedied, the adjustable screw for the telescoping 510 center pin doesn't have enough length to fit a 65 mm 18650 without having the screw ready to fall out. A 67mm 18650 like the one below will fit just fine.

So here's my fix for that although I will have to replace my screw with the original to use 67 mm batteries but I don't see that as happening. The screw I used is what a computer motherboard is mounted into a case on, there are maybe four different thread sizes that have been used by various manufactures over the years so you have to find the one that fits. I had to cut it down some on both ends.
    1375135_672799466077614_1797545351_n.jpg

For longer pins
    Costs $7.99 at FatDaddyVapes.com
    449513_orig.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread