Child Lock the new trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romenov

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
there just a tank named kangertech CLtank appeared.

Looks like this Child Lock feature is going to be popular in those Chinese manufacturers' design?
Following the AIO all in one pen by Joyetech, now Kanger seems joined the game.

this tank looks not so good for me and so far it's not yet on Kangertech website, 4mL sub-ohm,
with max juice level mark outside the tank.

Do vapers really need this feature? at least there must be children around :)
and if they're around, I prefer keep the device away from them..

EDIT:
from manufactures' standpoint, it's a move to save the business, but it's also saving the vaping rights as if there's no devices pass the harsh regulations, vapers will have few choices in the market.
I know Phil and Dimitris and senator duncan and so many people including giants in the industry had tried so hard to save the vaping world for us and I really appreciate it, but looks like the law makers are still keeping their stance, a child proof so far today makes less impact on vaping experience but it may lead to further steps much more harsh and bring much more negative impact on convenient vaping experience, as an alternative that helped so many reduced tobacco harm, it's not a good trend :(

Kanger-CLTANK-500x500.jpg

cigabuy
365daymall

Last edited:

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Do vapers really need this feature? at least there must be children around :)
and if they're around, I prefer keep the device away from them..
I don't have kids in the house, my pets don't have thumbs, and I don't like childproof ANYTHING.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
I don't have kids in the house, my pets don't have thumbs, and I don't like childproof ANYTHING.

I've never seen anything "childproof". Adultproof yes, childproof no.
Reminds me of the days when families would go to the store together and you would hear the father say to the child, " we'll buy the more expensive VCR if you promise to show your mother and I how to program it."

Younger members call your parents if you don't know what a VCR is. Your mom says you don't do it enough anyway. :pervy:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
When a toddler enters a room I'm in under his own power I'm automatically looking for anything that could get him into trouble and moving it. (Move stuff when his back is turned so he won't get annoyed.) Then find a couple of things he can play with and put them on the floor. If he doesn't notice get down on the floor and handle the items. He'll be over in a flash. Once he's playing on the floor the cool grownup stuff may drop off his radar. How is this not in everybody's genetic makeup?

All this child proofing stuff is pointless interference by people who benefit from tobacco taxes. If they want to protect children from household chemicals there are other way more important ones that cause a lot more problems.

brummyjon

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Birmingham, England
The EU regulations, some of which come into force on May 2016, require amongst other things, child proof tanks, leak proof filling systems, and a maximum juice capacity of 2ml.

This is far from a gimmick. This is to make sure that products are available for the European market.

Forget how good the Cubis looks. Soon it looks like it will be illegal to offer it for sale in the EU.

brummyjon

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Birmingham, England
I've never seen anything "childproof". Adultproof yes, childproof no.
Reminds me of the days when families would go to the store together and you would hear the father say to the child, " we'll buy the more expensive VCR if you promise to show your mother and I how to program it."

Younger members call your parents if you don't know what a VCR is. Your mom says you don't do it enough anyway. :pervy:
I couldn't agree more. But if they can put any mechanism on here that will satisfy the regulators, and not be too difficult to operate, I'm all for it. I don't wish to stop vaping. It is probably only a matter of time before these type of tops are also a requirement in the US. Then this will be all you can buy.

brummyjon

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Birmingham, England
To all US residents, pay attention to what is happening in the rest of the world. We may end up with something similar in the future.

Almost certainly. But even if that is not the case, Chinese manufacturers would be crazy to ignore the requirements of the European market. It's quite a big market.

Americans don't need to be offended that products are becoming available that they don't yet need to buy. ;)

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
Not necessarily weird. The liquid level probably goes up when you screw on the top?

Could also be that they introduced something to take up some of the volume to comply with EU regs, and can be removed for other markets. That way they only produce one product for several markets.
Some firearms manufacturers did that in the US for rifle magazines. Produced same magazine, but introduced a plate to limit capacity. (remove plate, new spring, Trix happy. And perfectly legal).

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2015
I don't remember seeing any child locks on traditional cigarettes.

Cripes, remember when they started requiring those stupid safety dealies on disposable lighters?

I'm imaging geriatric vapers trying to deal with a tank like that and it ain't pretty. Heck, you don't even have to be decrepit - my arthritis (only in my fifties) makes a lot of tanks hard for me to use.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
Think of it from their standpoint, you're a multi-million maybe even billion dollar company in an industry full of scrutiny and under heavy watch. Regulations are about to pass which require you to make some pretty heavy changes.

What would you do?

It's not that big of a deal really and it really doesn't matter whether I have children as the item wasn't made solely for me it's a mass-produced item so it has to fit the needs of the masses. I'm fine with it honestly and yes it's needed as some vapers do have little kids that love to grab things, a small security feature isn't the end of the world, just like juice bottles should have protective caps so should tanks as they contain the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread