Status
Not open for further replies.

DiggerP

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
Louisiana
Chronology of a Noob

1) Pre-purchase - heard an advertisement, did a little research. Yeah, like this will work (heavy sarcasm). Still depressed that I've invested hundreds (more likely a few thousand $$ over the years) in stop-smoking failures.

2) Decision made - what the heck. I've tried everything else and the fact is I'm a smoker and probably always gonna be. At least I can use this for a bridge. Gotta buy something that looks and tastes like a cig, after all that is what I'm replacing whenever I'm going to use this. I mean, after all, this e-cig thing is only a crutch when I can't have the real thing.

3) Purchase made - Probably another $75.00 down the tubes. Cheaper than Chantix at least. It'll arrive eventually.

4) Stuff is here. Now, how the #$%# does this stuff fit together?

5) First puff (cough, cough, cough)... doesn't taste like a cig. It's not terrible though. Maybe it will at least work when I can't get outside to grab a cig. I'll try it a little.

6) Next day a little more research... I must not be doing something right. How do I know when this thing is empty?
a) Found ECF. HUGE amounts of information. Complete nutcases though (like I'll EVER smoke a waffle LOL!!!). These boneheads are smoking out of mufflers and wooden boxes!
7) Crap. So that's what it tastes like when a carto is empty. I won't have a problem identifying THAT problem again!

8) Grabbed an analog - uh, oh. That now tastes horrid in comparison. This little e-cig thingy might have something to it.

9) Day 2 - panic sets in. I have 3 cartos left. Analogs taste horrible. I need cartos! I'll order from 3 suppliers... one of them is bound to ship quickly!

10) Day 5 - PHEW! A shipment got here just in time. I did NOT want to smoke a regular cig. Can't believe it's been 3 days without one - this is pretty cool. And, nice vendor too - two free samples.
a) ARG! This vendor is slick. I LOVE this espresso! Makes the pretend tobacco flavor from my first vendor taste horrible. What did I order from the other guys? When is that coming in? Doesn't matter - GOTTA order some of this espresso stuff.

b) Hey, I read somewhere I can refill these do-hickies. Now, where was that thread?
11) Day 6 - Another shipment arrived. More tobacco flavors. Why didn't I order something else? Cool. There's a massive sale at this other vendor. Let's try a sampler. Also, I need one of those pass through things. If one of these batteries break, I'm doomed. In fact, let me order another battery too.
a) Note to self: when dropping a PV in your lap while driving it is no longer necessary to nearly wreck the car before it burns your nether regions. I guess old habits die hard.
12) Day 7 - Can't believe I haven't smoked an analog for days!. Got another shipment in (with samples of course). There is something to vaping Fried Apple - who woulda thought? And wouldn't you know it, the other free sample is - Waffle - how ironic! Oh well... gotta at least try it.
a) Crap. The waffle IS actually awesome. Another order going in.
13) Day 9 - More stuff arriving. I have enough juice to last for weeks, maybe -- well a while now. Have batteries. Have a pass through. I may need to buy more pre-filled cartos though. I'm not real good at this filling stuff but I do know the taste of liquid on the tongue. Some of mine last 7 minutes and I think I have some flooded. How many drops is in a mL? What end do I use to re-load these things again? I have about 8 unlabeled cartos on my desk and I've forgotten what flavor is in which one. Who designed black cartos anyways!!! Can't write on them suckers! Gotta look up labeling on ECF. WAIT - there's a sale at.... nope, I'm going to control myself.

14) Day 11 - so THAT's how you fill these doggone things. This is AWESOME! Note to self though - do NOT refill a clove carto with banana. Where are those tackle boxes in the garage? I need some organization here.

15) Day 12 - Tobacco flavor in the morning with coffee (There are some decent tobacco flavors - my first vendor could take a lesson there!). A chocolate espresso or a spicy blend through the day -- and mint or clove at night. I've found my niche.
a) Ran after the postman today and didn't cough up a lung. Plus side - can already breathe better and energy level much better. Wife apparently loves the no-smoke smell in the house and on me (another note to self, buy some Vitamin E). Minus side - I think my postman is considering a restraining order for me.
16) Day 16 - There's a mod on sale! Gotta try one! And more flavors. Now I can get my personal menu down pat.

a) found the "fart" thread on ECF. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. In fact I haven't laughed that hard without a coughing fit in decades.

b) I am learning a completely new language -- some hybrid speak between numbers, abbreviations and gibberish - but it works. I now know that a 901 will fit an 808 if it was made between 1979 and 1985 and not retrofitted with a two piece rear main seal from a GM USB port. I sure wish someone had told me all of this earlier LOL!
17) Day 17 - Started my new labeling system. Also purchased a 50-count ammunition box. They're like plastic tackle boxes but made perfectly for carto's (and really cheap) I can now carry 2 cartos each of 25 flavors with me wherever I go. Can someone say OCD?

Also started a list of flavors to (a) definitely buy again, (b) maybe buy again and (c) never buy again. The "banana" flavor is going on the "c" list through no fault of the vendor. At first I put it in a used "clove" carto (see above - NOT good). But the killer was my three year old walking out of my office and saying "Dad's in there smoking his banana." -- something SOOOO not right there. One flavor for the PIF ("Pass it Forward") box...

18) Day 18 - Increased my organizational and re-fill skills dramatically. Just laid everything out and went at it. Fill one end, top off the other, cap, set. Blow through one end, then the other to clear - test on my trusty passthrough.

After about 20 cartridges (all lined up in my nifty, smaller "to go" ammo case) I'm ready.

Also, after tasting 14 flavors in preparing these carto's, my wife is unsure whether she is kissing the corner fruit vendor who's been drinking coffee and wearing perfume or the Krispy Kreme delivery man a bit tipsy on Amaretto. Either way, works for me.

To be continued...

Last edited:

DiggerP

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
Louisiana
Thank ya folks... but it's you guys that have been awesome. Who would honestly imagine that we can stop those cancer sticks and actually feel happy while doing it? And all the above is just the truth as it has happened for me so far. I was re-reading my daily journal last night and just took some excerpts

I'm just trying to keep a record of this awesome adventure. I want to remember my frames of mind and "PV maturity" so I can help others find this sense of freedom as well. The decisions a noob is trying to make is based on perception and his or her experience up to that point.

All of us are getting better physically and mentally and there is a great deal of happiness in helping others get here to. Regretfully, it comes with a few obstacles along the way: some shoddy product, some sub-standard vendors, and a learning curve in materials and preparation.

But all can be overcome. Compared to analogs where we KNEW we had a product that was going to slowly deteriorate our health, was grossly overpriced, sold often in disgusting stores resembling that area slightly behind my toilet and the wall. Most of us when we started "smoking" went through that learning curve willingly LOL!

Bottom line - I'm truly grateful for all of you at ECF for the journey thus far. I'm off to create an artistic creation with the 4 billion lighters I've found in the house over the last two weeks. Funny how I couldn't seem to find a spare one in the last 30 years and voila! They were all right there.

lasttango

What would Freud say?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Wilmington, DE / Ithaca, NY
www.last.fm
a) Found ECF. HUGE amounts of information. Complete nutcases though (like I'll EVER smoke a waffle LOL!!!). These boneheads are smoking out of mufflers and wooden boxes!

LOL.

Thanks for the laugh ;-)

You'll be smokin' french toast, peanut butter cookie dough and celery ice cream before long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread