Progress report on wrapping coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
My first ever coils, made a few days ago used the 24 ga Kanthal wire that came with the coilmaster kit, and I'm still using them. They are 8/7 wraps, 3MM dia and ended up at .66 ohms each. The legs didn't line up with the terminals in the Zeus X, so I spaced out the wraps so there is maybe one mm space between each wrap. They vape nicely at 40W and give good flavor. Some slight crackling, but it doesn't bother me.

I just received two 100' spools of 22ga Kanthal A-1 and am in the process of making a bunch of coils 7/6, 3mm dia. Steam Engine projects them to be about 0.4 ohms each.

Looks like I can get 3 coils per foot of wire. The cost of the wire, plus shipping was $25 from Amazon. $25.00/600 coils works out to 4 cents per coil. Pretty reasonable, huh?

Next up, I'm waiting for a delivery of single core clapton wire.

The only question I have is "why did I wait so long to try it?"

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
Oh, I forgot. At first I tried to visually count the wraps as a form of quality control, but my eyes just couldn't do it, even with a magnifying glass. But I learned that you can count the wraps by running a micro screwdriver along the coil and counting the bumps by feel.

Feeling good about this. lotsa nic in the freezer, making DIY juice, and now making coils was the last piece of the puzzle!

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Good for you! Sounds like you have a great start. I have debated about spaced vs contact coils and (like you) I found spaced just helps them fit better on some builds (and no hot spots to deal with) Some really small build decks you have to use contact coils. I can't really say which is better over all (have had success with both) I also had success today on my new RTA (had mostly good luck with my others but some leaking issues) Is that a single or dual coil build? 22 ga is pushing it but IMHO maybe better than super fancy wires and simple claptons are always a good choice (I use those too) There is also rectangular wire like 0.9 mm x 0,3 mm. It feels good to not be a slave to "drop-in" coils (save money, no worris about being out of stock and freedom to experiment. Big green smile... :D

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Looks like I can get 3 coils per foot of wire. The cost of the wire, plus shipping was $25 from Amazon. $25.00/600 coils works out to 4 cents per coil. Pretty reasonable, huh?

Yes, this is one way you can make vaping cheap, that and DIYing your juice. At that point, any amount you do spend on vaping becomes almost negligible - assuming you don't give into shinyitis and buy every mod/tank/rda on the market :lol:

Just so you know, a good place to buy Kanthal A1 and other vape wire is Temco Industrial. 250 ft of 22AWG Kanthal A1 for $22 shipped.

CaveFurby

ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2015
    There is alot of satisfaction from teaching yourself how to make coils, and realizing you aren't tied to buying overpriced coils, or even premade coils. The CoilMaster is my friend. Like you folks I found I liked slightly spaced coils with my kanthal roundwire. Kanthal had always been my favorite and I'm back to using it again and enjoying it. Temco is a great place to get it. Did you know they have odd sizes in Kanthal? Like 24 but don't want to go to 22g....try 23g...they have it. They're in the States, in case you are also, good prices, great wire.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
    Sep 29, 2019
    Vaper 1960: It's a dual coil setup in the Zeus X. Haven't tried the 22 ga coils yet. Hate to take out perfectly good coils just to try something new. Patience, Patience, Patience.

I swear by the top air RTAs - the Zeus and Dead Rabbit. (slight edge to the Zeus in terms of quality, but DR has a better build deck.) If they do leak, at least it's contained and doesn't get all over the mod and your hands. Waiting for an OBS Engine in the mail from China. waiting, waiting, waiting.

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    Last edited:

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    I've seen that video before (and recommend it to beginners) I just use the second method (and you don't need a coiling tool just a nail, screwdriver... any rod will do)
    Those methods definitely work. Another method is to wrap a parallel contact coil then separate it into two single wire coils.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
    Sep 29, 2019
    $41.59 Authentic Avidartisan Daedalus Pro Clapton Wire DIY Tool V2 Coil Jig Kit - 2*18650 at FastTech - Free Shipping

Ed please look at this seriously. Out of all the vape tools I have the Avidartisan Daedalus is the one I love the most. I can do claptons by hand but this tool makes it SOOOOOO simple. It's worth every penny at twice the price. Trust me.

Thanks! Don. I'm going to check it out. Is FastTech from China?

edit: Those spool tamers look good too. Found out real quick how unruly a spool of wire can be. And that was with a 10' roll. I hate to think of the mess that a 100' roll could cause.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread