Status
Not open for further replies.

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
Exploding mechs are by far more common than most people would like to admit.

Do a Google image search for "exploding mechanical mods" and take a look.....

And these are just images (and videos) that people are willing to show. Forget about the other 90% or more that are too embarrassed to show their stupidity publicly.

And then, there's these guys...

New iStick 50w fire with photos • /r/electronic_cigarette

Missing facts:

1. Where did you buy it?
2. Did you verify the serial number on the box with the manufacturer?
3. Did you buy a clone?
4. Did you use the factory charging cable?
5. What were you using with it?

Has anyone ever seen a blaze-orange 50W istick before?

VLxyX7R.jpg

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
How many people were 'lucky' enough to see this idiot in action?

0UBxET9.png

This was a YT video showing EXTREME stupidity!
(And yes, that's a baby-cradle behind him to the left)
Just watching the video is scary.
He's using 26650's and his mod gets so HOT that he has to hold it with a towel.
And I don't think that I have to tell you what happened, but I will anyways.

A MASSIVE EXPLOSION!

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Yes, the auto-firing is actually a pretty common flaw with many devices and there are quite a few videos on YT showing the "zombie-effect". But in the worst case scenarios, peeps fry their coil....NOT their face.
You don't see explosions, mods turning into RPG's or flaming rockets....like you see with mechs.
That's what happens when you're aware of the auto fire. If it auto fires when it isn't being watched it can and has led to fires and batteries going thermal.

Exploding mechs are by far more common than most people would like to admit.

Do a Google image search for "exploding mechanical mods" and take a look.....

And these are just images (and videos) that people are willing to show. Forget about the other 90% or more that are too embarrassed to show their stupidity publicly.

And then, there's these guys...

New iStick 50w fire with photos • /r/electronic_cigarette

Missing facts:

1. Where did you buy it?
2. Did you verify the serial number on the box with the manufacturer?
3. Did you buy a clone?
4. Did you use the factory charging cable?
5. What were you using with it?

Has anyone ever seen a blaze-orange 50W iStick before?

VLxyX7R.jpg
You really have drunk the koolaid haven't you?
"From 2009 to January 2016, the Food and Drug Administration identified 134 US incidents of e-cigarette batteries overheating, catching on fire or exploding."

That's all incidents, mechs and regulated, even including cigalikes that burst into flames while charging. Even if there are 10 times that many that were unreported, it's not an epidemic.

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
That's what happens when you're aware of the auto fire. If it auto fires when it isn't being watched it can and has led to fires and batteries going thermal.

You really have drunk the koolaid haven't you?
"From 2009 to January 2016, the Food and Drug Administration identified 134 US incidents of e-cigarette batteries overheating, catching on fire or exploding."

That's all incidents, mechs and regulated, even including cigalikes that burst into flames while charging. Even if there are 10 times that many that were unreported, it's not an epidemic.

Show me the actual FDA results and not a quote from CNN, please.
I don't trust our media when it comes to gathering "facts".

134 incidents here is not an epidemic?
Mmm, hmm...and how many Ebola cases actually occurred here until the entire country was in fear?
Ebola virus cases in the United States - Wikipedia
11; 2 died and 9 recovered.

Also, the FDA only accounts for USA incidents...not "all" worldwide stupidity.
Mech's are too dangerous and should either be banned outright or people that choose to use them be licensed to use them, just like any other form of potential explosive device.

Last edited:
Reactions: WillyZee

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Show me the actual FDA results and not a quote from CNN, please.
I don't trust our media when it comes to gathering "facts".
Also, the FDA only accounts for USA incidents...not "all" worldwide stupidity.
Okay, how about you show me an actual number of incidents. Not google search results, actual numbers. In 2014 the U.S. Fire Administration reported 25 incidents to date. The 134 is one of the highest numbers I've seen on the subject. You're not really getting the point though. Even if it were 1,340 that would be a relatively low number.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK

That's a good day where I come from. (We growz 'em real stoopid here). :)

Mmm, hmm...and how many Ebola cases actually occurred here until the entire country was in fear?
Kind of a stretch... comparing a 70% fatal disease with no cure to mainly "pilot" errors.

And the FDA epitomizes fake news.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Ebola virus cases in the United States - Wikipedia
11; 2 died and 9 recovered.
134 non-fatal incidents over a period of 7 years, no, it's not an epidemic.
TVs tip over on toddlers with surprising frequency, causing injuries and deaths

Ebola is a bit different, not that that situation wasn't overblown as well. Ebola is a contagious disease, if left unchecked it will spread and cause an ACTUAL epidemic.

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
Ebola is a bit different, not that that situation wasn't overblown as well. Ebola is a contagious disease, if left unchecked it will spread and cause an ACTUAL epidemic.

Okay, ya got me. :laugh:

But don't use the word epidemic next time you wanna make a valid point and you might get a valid response. :pervy:

But for the record, vaping stupidity seems to be a real contagion here with cloud-chasers.

Last edited:

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Mech's are too dangerous and should either be banned outright or people that choose to use them be licensed to use them, just like any other form of potential explosive device.

Yeah, like licensing drivers keeps all the idiots off the road :facepalm:

Didn't mean that to be snarky Shrek, just the first thought that came to mind when I read your post.

I am somewhat surprised to hear you come down so hard on mechs, inciting the slippery slope of government regulation (which admittedly we are already well on the way down).

Good to see ya, it's been awhile :)

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
You know, if people are really only interested in clouds, they're going to use a multiple battery 200+ watt mod, not a single 18650 mech. Reality doesn't really seem all that important though.

It really shouldn't surprise me anymore when I see the "my way is the right way to vape and everyone else is wrong" attitude, but for some reason it still does. We're all vapers, if we all learn to use our chosen equipment properly the number of accidents should be kept to a minimum.

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
Yeah, like licensing drivers keeps all the idiots off the road :facepalm:

Didn't mean that to be snarky Shrek, just the first thought that came to mind when I read your post.

I am somewhat surprised to hear you come down so hard on mechs, inciting the slippery slope of government regulation (which admittedly we are already well on the way down).

Good to see ya, it's been awhile :)

Driving isn't a good comparison since we're talking about a potential handheld bomb.
I meant an explosives license where the user would have to pass stringent and rigorous testing before being allowed to use a mech.

Surprised?
Really? ;)

Reading that FB clown's comments alone really shows the attitude of a great multitude of cloud-chasers.
The guy had no idea that his device was potentially dangerous....ZIP! So who actually caused his ignorance?
Was it him just being a dumbazz and not paying attention to the seller, not educating himself properly or did the seller fail to do their part and thoroughly walk this clown through the dangers?

There's no way to know since he provided zero facts, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the vendor is partially responsible. This just can't be allowed to occur anymore and something drastic NEEDS to be done.
And I say that to SAVE vaping from the idiots that post explosion images on FB and claim they're innocent and did nothing wrong. It's precisely why someone needs to step in and provide accountability where none exists.

So if that means banning mechs or requiring an explosives license, then yeah...absolutely...do it. Cuz it'll make SAFE vaping available for the rest of us that use it the way it was intended.

Good to see you too snark....uuuh, B2L. :D
Has it been that long? :?:

Last edited:

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
For the record, let's compare...

Google image search for "mod explosions"

mod explosions - Google Search

Images in order from left to right.

1. Ego batt:
E-Cigarette Reportedly Explodes In Atlanta
Cause?
A. User error; wrong charger, charging from computer USB port.
B. Failure of the vendor to explain the dangers?
C. User didn't educate herself first or didn't read the instructions?

2. Unknown device
Exclusive: Man Severely Injured After eCigarette Blows Up In His Face
The extent of his injuries would certainly point to a mech.

3. A mech...in pieces.

4. A mech.
Guy in Florida Blows a Hole in His Face When Mechanical Mod Explodes - VaporVanity.com

5. A mech.
Mech Mod Explosion Leaves Man in Medically Induced Coma | E-Cigarette Reviews and Rankings

6. Video about batteries venting in mechs.

7 - 20. MECHS

This is just Google images and only the first 20....

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
For the record, let's compare...

Google image search for "mod explosions"

mod explosions - Google Search

Images in order from left to right.

1. Ego batt:
E-Cigarette Reportedly Explodes In Atlanta
Cause?
A. User error; wrong charger, charging from computer USB port.
B. Failure of the vendor to explain the dangers?
C. User didn't educate herself first or didn't read the instructions?

2. Unknown device
Exclusive: Man Severely Injured After eCigarette Blows Up In His Face
The extent of his injuries would certainly point to a mech.

3. A mech...in pieces.

4. A mech.
Guy in Florida Blows a Hole in His Face When Mechanical Mod Explodes - VaporVanity.com

5. A mech.
Mech Mod Explosion Leaves Man in Medically Induced Coma | E-Cigarette Reviews and Rankings

6. Video about batteries venting in mechs.

7 - 20. MECHS

This is just Google images and only the first 20....
And the video going around the last couple of weeks of the guy at the liquor store was using a multi battery regulated mod, what's your point? Top results in google don't tell you anything other than number of clicks or relevance to keywords.

When people misuse their mods and/or batteries, bad things happen. This notion that only mechs are dangerous is in itself dangerous, it gives people a false sense of security. The component of a vapor product that holds the potential for danger is the battery. All mods use batteries.

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
And the video going around the last couple of weeks of the guy at the liquor store was using a multi battery regulated mod, what's your point? Top results in google don't tell you anything other than number of clicks or relevance to keywords.

I haven't seen nor heard of the video you're referring to. Can you post it?

When people misuse their mods and/or batteries, bad things happen. This notion that only mechs are dangerous is in itself dangerous, it gives people a false sense of security. The component of a vapor product that holds the potential for danger is the battery. All mods use batteries.

Mechs are clearly FAR more dangerous than regulated devices, they're not even in the same ballpark as everything else having built-in protection.

And I'm sure that you won't be surprised when I disagree, Less.
The potential danger isn't the battery...it's the idiot that doesn't know what they're doing.
So in order to protect everyone else from the idiots, the weapon will either have to be removed or an explosives license required.
Something needs to be done, cuz these people are a real threat to others around them.

Just finished reading about the lady and her exploding Efest battery (image holding up her purse). But as you read, multiple unanswered questions immediately arise for the 'educated'.

Mum left with horrific leg burns after e-cig battery EXPLODES in handbag

"The battery that exploded was an EFEST battery which hadn’t been attached to an e-cig and had just been kept in Janna’s handbag as a spare.
Paul added: “How it could just combust I have no idea but people need to be warned about these batteries as they’re a popular brand."

Yea...blame the battery, let's just conveniently leave out that she probably dropped a bare cell into her bag along with her spare change rolling around with it.

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I haven't seen nor heard of the video you're referring to. Can you post it?

Mechs are clearly FAR more dangerous than regulated devices, they're not even in the same ballpark as everything else having built-in protection.
I guess it was more than a few weeks ago Yet another explosion

Mechs and regulated mods are both potentially dangerous, in different ways, but for the same reason, they use batteries. The main difference to me is, with a mech, if you're aware of how to be safe, and actually practice safe habits, you can minimize your risk. A regulated mod's chip failing causing a catastrophic failure is just an unlucky break.

Reactions: Verb

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
I guess it was more than a few weeks ago Yet another explosion

Mechs and regulated mods are both potentially dangerous, in different ways, but for the same reason, they use batteries. The main difference to me is, with a mech, if you're aware of how to be safe, and actually practice safe habits, you can minimize your risk. A regulated mod's chip failing causing a catastrophic failure is just an unlucky break.

I absolutely agree Less...but it's also my primary point.

Mechs: "If you're aware of how to be safe..."

It's the people that are either not aware, don't care enough to be aware or those that are completely brainless altogether....this is my primary argument.

Protected devices greatly reduce those inherent risks, but mechs....eh-eh.
A mech in the hands of an idiot is not a question of "if" but "when" + "how much damage"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread