Cleaning a Joyetech Carto or a Joyetech Ego Carto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sashwa

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Alcatraz
Has anyone tried to clean a joyetech 510 carto or the Ego carto? If so, how did you do it and what were your results?

I really like them but would like to be able to clean them so that they will last longer if possible. I have 3 510's and 1 Ego carto that I've been using since around 11/4 and they are starting to taste burnt sometimes even when I know they are filled.

arjay55

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2010
- ɹəpun uʍop -
Can't help you there 'sashwa' but I would like to know as well.

The last 3 (510's) I've tried haven't been too good actually.
1. Dead
2. Only took .5ml then started to overfill - bigtime. Slightly burnt taste after 3 'vapes' (not drags)
3. Will not take more than .4 to .5ml, then bubbles out the top and bottom.

The 10 or 12 before that worked pretty good I thought, but none would have lasted as long as yours and still taste OK.

upStomp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2010
North Central Mass
I'm getting about 10-12 fills out of mine before they really start to sour. If you can get them to last that long, I don't think cleaning is worth it - if it's even possible. I do know that dry burning is out of the question. Not because of the filler, but because the atty seems especially sensitive to overheating. You can blow them out (you can push a soft-tip from a Boge carto down into the mouthpiece to cover the vent hole and blow out the filler), but I'm not sure how effective that is.

I haven't had the problems that arjay is having. I do find that after 5-6 fills, they start to take less liquid. I think part of that may just be me getting cocky with the filling process. Sometimes a quick Taryn Spin will help to squeeze some more in.

Maybe you got a bad batch, arjay? Also, what PG/VG mix are you using?

sashwa

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Alcatraz
I guess I should have said that the joyetech cartos are only being filled once a day via a syringe most of the time. Once in a while I'll do a bottom drip refill but most of the time it's via the syringe. Also the juices I've been using are mainly 70PG/30VG.

Is there any reason I can't blow them out with the mouth piece already on them? Or am I not understanding what you are saying, upStomp?

upStomp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2010
North Central Mass
You can blow them out with the Joye mouthpiece on, it just won't blow the filler out. In theory, that should be all that's needed to "clean" the atty anyway. When I mention the method with a soft tip pushed into the mouthpiece, I'm talking about blowing the filler itself out to get rid of old juice that might be stuck there. Again, I'm not sure how effective any of this is because I've never done it to an atty that wasn't already giving me trouble. In theory, blowing them out is more preventative maintenance rather than a fix for a caked-up atty.

70/30 in and of itself shouldn't give you any grief. I've been vaping both cheap Dekang stuff and 50/50 from FSUSA out of mine. I think the Dekang flavor might actually start to turn the atty quicker, but I have no real evidence to back that up. I just know that the premium juices seem to keep mine usable for longer and may even revive soured cartos a little, even with the thicker mixes. My next order will be for 70/30 from BWB. I hope I can get similar results from it.

srcowell

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Kansas City, KS
I use the Joye 510 cartos exclusively, and I've used them for about two months. I've bought about 50 of them, and maybe 10 have died in that time from one cause or another. I've dissected them, performed autopsies if you will, and I've picked up some maintenance tips, and even developed a few myself.

If the carto tastes burnt, even with plenty of fresh juice in it, it's most likely because it got vaped until it was dry at some point and the wick of the atomizer has gotten scorched, perhaps some of the filler next to the atomizer too. If that's been scorched, any delicate flavors will probably have a scorched taste in that carto from now on. You might still get some mileage from it with a heavier flavor or something that wouldn't taste bad with a little scorch in the background. That is one thing with these cartos, you really have to be careful to stop vaping them as soon as the flavor gets weak or scorchy-tasting. If you are careful to avoid scorching, they can last a good long time and may never need cleaning. Remember, cartomizers are intended to be disposable, so getting a few weeks good use from them is still money ahead.

If you want to wash out the Joye 510 carto, including the filler material, there are several methods. DO NOT BOIL THEM! Boiling will cause several problems with them. You'd want to be sure and remove the mouthpiece and the little barrier piece so that air and liquid can pass through the fill port where you put the syringe. Some people open them up like that then let them soak in warm water overnight, then blow them out, using varioius methods.

When I want to clean mine, I use a plastic syringe made for giving liquid medicine to infants. It comes with a rubber cone that attaches where a needle would otherwise go. This syringe is available at most any pharmacy. That rubber cone is a perfect snug fit for the 510 carto. Just put the carto into the rubber cone and draw warm water through the carto with the syringe, then push it back out. Do this several times until you consider it flushed out adequately. Then you can pump the syringe into the sink a bunch of times, like maybe 50 times, to force the water out of the filler material. Some people then place them in front of a fan, or in a sunny spot, or on something warm for a day or two until they are dry.

I've also used this same flushing method but using Everclear grain alcohol. Sometimes I do both in one session. The Everclear will dissolve anything the water doesn't. The alcohol also dries very quickly, as alcohol does. It will even dry out the water if you do water first then alcohol. Some people think the alcohol leaves a bitter taste, and some have said they do the alcohol first, then flush it out with water.

I've also used a bicycle air pump to force air through the wet carto, and there are other ways you might devise or adapt to dry out the filler material before re-using the carto.

Overall, I'm not at all sure it's worth all the trouble to clean them, unless you are really tight on money. I figure I could use all brand new cartos one time and toss them and still save money compared to what I spent on analogs. But I am refilling all my cartos for myself and my wife every week, and they are getting refilled at least 10 times on average, maybe lots more because I've kind of lost track. But they last quite awhile if you don't scorch them.

sashwa

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Alcatraz
Thanks again, upStomp. I've been using BWB's juices in them - Dulce de Leche, Carmel Cappacinno, Vanilla Bean, and Menthol Tobacco. I'm about to start up a new carto with Vaperite's Organic Carmel Cream with a VG/PG 70/30 mixture. This one seem thicker than BWB's juices.

I need to order some soft-tip Borge cartos for blowing out the old juice from the Joyetech cartos. In the meantime, I'm going to try blowing out the attys on them before refilling and see if that helps them last longer.

Edit: Ooops, I missed your reply, srcowell. Thanks for the cleaning tips. I might try them. You are right, I think, in saying it might be more trouble than it's worth cleaning them. But I think doing the maintaince on them that upStomp talks about might help them last longer and that would be a good thing.

Last edited:

upStomp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2010
North Central Mass
Thanks again, upStomp. I've been using BWB's juices in them - Dulce de Leche, Carmel Cappacinno, Vanilla Bean, and Menthol Tobacco. I'm about to start up a new carto with Vaperite's Organic Carmel Cream with a VG/PG 70/30 mixture. This one seem thicker than BWB's juices.

I need to order some soft-tip Borge cartos for blowing out the old juice from the Joyetech cartos. In the meantime, I'm going to try blowing out the attys on them before refilling and see if that helps them last longer.

Edit: Ooops, I missed your reply, srcowell. Thanks for the cleaning tips. I might try them. You are right, I think, in saying it might be more trouble than it's worth cleaning them. But I think doing the maintaince on them that upStomp talks about might help them last longer and that would be a good thing.

No problem at all. I'm more than happy to share my experience so far. Srcowell makes a lot of good points too, and he's been using these carts about a month longer than I have. I'll try his method of cleaning them at some point too. I've got about 10 of these cartos sitting in a zip-loc out of circulation. None of them taste burnt, but they definitely have that caked-atty flavor (what I refer to as "sour").

70% VG might give you more problems. From what I've read, higher VG content can cake up atties as well as most types of cartos quicker. Even at 50/50 my juices seem to hang back in the filler quite a bit. I'm not saying don't try it, just be aware. BWB at 30% VG seems like it might be the perfect ratio. I can't wait to try it.

Those Boge cartos are good to have around. They're easy to use and come in a close second in the flavor/vapor/TH department. They just don't last very long.

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
Overall, I'm not at all sure it's worth all the trouble to clean them, unless you are really tight on money. I figure I could use all brand new cartos one time and toss them and still save money compared to what I spent on analogs. But I am refilling all my cartos for myself and my wife every week, and they are getting refilled at least 10 times on average, maybe lots more because I've kind of lost track. But they last quite awhile if you don't scorch them.

It's not worth cleaning them! I've decided after experimenting twice with cleaning cartos not to clean them again. The taste is still funky. The fillers in the Boge 510 cartos will shrink when soaked in boiling water. Cartos that have been soaked in water for any length of time and haven't dried thoroughly will cause water to end up on my tongue with every vape, and then I'm spitting out water all the time.

Cartos that have been soaked in water and dried completely will also cause me to NOT be able to get throat hits. I finally realized why I was not getting throat hits a month ago (this happened for a few hours every day for about two weeks after cleaning and reusing about 9 cartos), because it happened again on Sunday of this week, when I refilled 11 cartos and did test vapes with about 5 or 6 of those cartos that I had soaked overnight two weeks ago and allowed to dry thoroughly. I was not able to get throat hits for about three hours after I did the test vapes. On Sunday of this week, I didn't have the water-on-the-tongue problem, because I know those fillers were completely dry, but the draws on many of them were way too hard, and the taste in some of them was funky.

So, don't waste your time cleaning cartos! They're cheap, so just toss the old cartos and buy more when the taste gets funky or when they're harder to draw on. This will usually occur after about a month when refilling them daily or very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread