Status
Not open for further replies.

pnut599

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Michigan, USA
Hello all,
I've been reading and reading and reading about cleaning 510 atomizers. Most of the information is over a year old and I'm so new at this that I can't find the basic info I need.

I've tried the atty resurrection method and despite being extremely careful, I popped 2 of the 3 I just bought. I bought them to test the liquids and I don't vape them long before I want to try another. Some are just too nasty to vape more than a couple of puffs.

I have questions that I can't find anywhere.
Should I clean the atty between every flavor change or is there a way to just burn it down to nothing?
How do I get the previous flavor completely out before trying something new? Do I even need to?
When someone mentions priming, I know it's dripping something into the atty, but what? Flavored liquid? PG or VG?

I just put an order in for 5 de-bridged atomizers. Was that a good idea or should I have gotten bridged? The last 3 I bought were bridged.

I actually used this method on my last one and I have to say, it worked very well, but maybe I was cleaning too much? I don't know.
How To - Cleaning an atomizer - YouTube

Thanks for any updated advice anyone has to offer.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Hello all,

I have questions that I can't find anywhere.
Should I clean the atty between every flavor change or is there a way to just burn it down to nothing?

Well, burning it down to nothing leaves the risk of popping the coil. But you DO want to dilute the last flavor down as far as possible to get it out of there before trying the next flavor. Just my opinion, but you can get some vegetable glycerin at any pharmacy and use that to drip in to your atty in between flavors.

How do I get the previous flavor completely out before trying something new?

Again, give the vegetable glycerin a try.

Do I even need to?

Well, I'd say yes. Otherwise you'll get a little flavor carryover for a little while until the new flavor "washes out" the old flavor.

When someone mentions priming, I know it's dripping something into the atty, but what? Flavored liquid? PG or VG?

I just use whatever I'm getting ready to vape. Nothing wrong with using PG or VG.

I just put an order in for 5 de-bridged atomizers. Was that a good idea or should I have gotten bridged? The last 3 I bought were bridged.

It's just a matter of personal preference. Some get a better experience with bridgeless vs. bridged, some can't tell. It's your call, see what you like!

I actually used this method on my last one and I have to say, it worked very well, but maybe I was cleaning too much? I don't know.
How To - Cleaning an atomizer - YouTube
Meh. Boiling, soaking in alcohol, rinsing with pure rainwater during a full moon. Again, whatever works for you. I don't think that more than alcohol and/or water would be needed except for the more persistent flavors - strong menthols, cinnamon, clove, etc.. But that's ONLY my opinion. Try out whatever method you feel comfortable with, and stick with it if it works!

DelboyinDorset

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
Dorset - UK
I use a pan of boiling water on the ones that can take it, I found out early on that CE* type clearo's would shear at the top or bottom if boiled and the common and garden black drip tip can go a funky shape and colour too.

What are really good are Sterets, little alcohol soaked squares of tissue used to sterilise an area for an injection, abs brilliant for cleaning crud out of drip tips and connections

Mrs C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Indiana
I use a pan of boiling water on the ones that can take it, I found out early on that CE* type clearo's would shear at the top or bottom if boiled and the common and garden black drip tip can go a funky shape and colour too.

What are really good are Sterets, little alcohol soaked squares of tissue used to sterilise an area for an injection, abs brilliant for cleaning crud out of drip tips and connections

Op asked about Atomizers not clearo's and drip tips...

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
I've used just VG or PG to clean out an atty. Drip enough in to fully flood the atty, then heat it up (won't vaporize if flooded) and unscrew the atty and blow it out into a tissue. The flavorings in the atty were PG/VG soluble when they first went in, they should come out the same way....:) For very strong flavors you may need to repeat a couple few times.

With the PG or VG in there the coil won't get hot enough to pop it, and the liquid gets hot enough to clean it out. How often to clean depends on what flavors you're switching between. Going from espresso to cappuccino I wouldn't worry about it, switching from tobacco to lemon ice would require a quick clean up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread