Status
Not open for further replies.

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont
I dunno. I trust my stepmom with microfiber. I’ve never met your mom though. One would think you’d be old enough to clean your own mod all by yourself by now, but who am I to judge?

b530d24dff6c434ba6db8e9d66015f74.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Winner
Reactions: KC0YNU

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Aluminum Car wheel polish, hmm.. I’d say sub optimal. Guessing what’s in it it’s probably a cleaner, an abrasive, and a wax. Aluminum and magnesium are both a good bit softer than silver, and car wheels don’t get polished till they have big gouges in them. Also their system of oxidation is different from silver. The abrasive may either do nothing or take off a lot of metal because the granules are big. plus you don’t need the wax gumming stuff up.

Reactions: HauntedMyst

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Wrights Silver Cream, water soluble non toxic and does a wonderful job on my Pilak's. It's primary purpose is to clean silverware, serving etc.

I use Wrights Copper Cream for my Copper gear and Wrights Brass Cream for my Brass gear. They all do an excellent job.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont
The real question is is the mod actual Silver or only silver in color?

The Mother's polish is what I use on aluminum and or silver colored mods.

an actual Silver or Silver coated mod would require a different type of polish/cleaner.

6cabe3a6a7bcbdba6468cd22b88dd710.jpeg
it’s pure silver

Spey

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2016
6cabe3a6a7bcbdba6468cd22b88dd710.jpeg
it’s pure silver

If it was/is "pure silver" (meaning it's 99.9%) it would not tarnish. Sterling Silver (92.5% silver alloyed with 7.5% copper to make it harder and more durable) tarnishes, and is typically polished with jeweler's rouge on a buffing wheel. You can buy cloths impregnated with rouge to make maintenance polishing easy (hand polishing). They are typically red and yellow (two-sides & impregnated with two different grades of compound), offering the user a progressive polishing option with one cloth. Search term: Jeweler's Cloth

If it's silver-plated ... be careful so-as not to polish through the plating exposing the base metal.

Last edited:
  • Winner

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
If it was/is "pure silver" (meaning it's 99.9%) it would not tarnish. Sterling Silver (92.5% silver alloyed with 7.5% copper to make it harder and more durable) tarnishes, and is typically polished with jeweler's rouge on a buffing wheel. You can buy cloths impregnated with rouge to make maintenance polishing easy (hand polishing). They are typically red and yellow (two-sides & impregnated with two different grades of compound), offering the user a progressive polishing option with one cloth. Search term: Jeweler's Cloth

If it's silver-plated ... be careful so-as not to polish through the plating exposing the base metal.
Pilak's are over 95% pure silver, mine don't tarnish. To bring out a mirror shine yes you need to use buffing wheel with Jewelers rouge. Here's one of my Pilak's that I've never put it on my polishing wheel, I've only used Wrights Silver Cream. Which will clean off the grim build up, Pilak's are very low maintenance.

DgHRcVz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread