Cleaning Triton Flavor Wicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got down the dry burn on the wicks in the coil after I've cleaned a tank, but the loose flavor wick is still pretty gunked up. I've been pulling it out before I dry burn a tank, but i can't get the gunk off the loose flavor wick. Any suggestions?

It could also be me, but the tanks seem to have a harder draw when the flavor wick is gunked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FallenRawToast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
LA, CA, USA, NA, SOL
I do a rinse in tap water, a soak for 12-24hrs in vodka, quick rinse with a spray bottle of distilled water, a soak in distilled water for 12-24hrs, and another rinse with the spray bottle of distlled water. With light running between the fingers at the gunked spot at each step.

Some wick setups will clean up nicely, some will not. If it doesnt clean up enough to my visual inspection after the vodka soak, I just throw the wicks away. As Dave says, if it is just the flavor wick, that is very easy to replace... the coil wick is a bit more challenging.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Keep in mind, if the flavor wick is gunked or has a dark spot where it burnt up a bit from the coil and won't clean off, more than likely the other wick is too.

No matter how much cleaning or even replacing the flavor wick, you might still get an off taste from the wick in the coil. Both would need replaced if it gets that bad.

FallenRawToast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
LA, CA, USA, NA, SOL
2mm silica.

I tried the cotton ball in the coil, with a silica flavor wick. It worked, but was just way too easy to scorch the cotton, and the moment you do that.. .you dont want to ever do that again. I think the problem was that i chain wick a bit too fast at times, for the legs of only the 1 flavor wick to pull up enough juice fast enough.

69CamaroSS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2014
Upstate, SC, USA
Super simple solution to cleaning the loose flavor wick. Take a small torch or cigar lighter that produces the sharp-pointed blue flame and while holding the wick by the very end heat it with the torch until it glows a bright reddish-orange color. Slowly move the torch all the way down the wick making sure to achieve this same heat/color until you've done the entire length of it. Twenty seconds and done. Not an atom of anything but pure, clean silica remains! It'll then be bright white like a brand new one. The melting point of silica is high enough that you'll not damage it using this method. I've done this numerous times and never had ANY residual color nor taste in them. Haven't had to throw any away until the fray in half from rinsing too vigorously which can cause them to be cut and fray where the exit the chimney.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
2mm silica.

I tried the cotton ball in the coil, with a silica flavor wick. It worked, but was just way too easy to scorch the cotton, and the moment you do that.. .you dont want to ever do that again. I think the problem was that i chain wick a bit too fast at times, for the legs of only the 1 flavor wick to pull up enough juice fast enough.

I tried boiled cotton yarn (SnC) and it works. Doesn't burn up but some high VG jooz, it doesn't seem to vape as well with, IMO. Then again, it could be the wick in the coil that gets gunked up too.

69CamaroSS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2014
Upstate, SC, USA
10 seconds with this and silica wicks will be completely restored unless they're cut or frayed
bernzomatic.jpg

Or even a cheap one like this
SD1425.jpg

jbrow314

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2014
Charlotte, NC, USA
I have always let them sit in distilled water, shake them real good, then get some distilled water to almost boiling. Add the hot water to a plastic tub, put 4 tablets of denture cleaner and add all of my tanks/coils/wicks etc in there, and let it sit for 8+ hours. The wicks are pure white afterwards and work like a charm. I've been doing this once a week for a while and haven't had any issues.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread