Status
Not open for further replies.

emonty

Flavor Junky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
the Netherlands
As time goes by, the coils and wick get gunked up and there comes a moment the flavor diminishes. Before I would dry burn my setup and was good to go, but sometimes when doing that dry burn, the wick would get too hot and get brittle or mess up my perfect setup. If I dry burned a little less, the coils would not get totally clean. So today I dumped the whole RBA (Cobra), including the tank in an ultrasonic bath with pure grain alcohol for a good 40 minutes and voila: coil and wick clean as a whistle and the setup is like new again. So the myth that the wick will loose it's oxidation has been busted.

emonty

Flavor Junky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
the Netherlands
butane torch works good too. I just *lightly hit the part that needs it - usually just the top coils. blow the crud off and it's good.
quick and easy

Did that once and fried the seal as it got way too hot.
Ultrasonic works great, not only the coil but the wick get's cleaned too.

emonty

Flavor Junky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
the Netherlands
So would it be better to get an ultrasonic cleaner with heat and use water, or without heat and use pure grain alcohol (or something similar) like the OP?

I don't know which would be better (I'd assume the heat/water would work better but just curious). I'd pay the extra for the heat if it would help.

I only use vodka as water leaves a residue of minerals on the wick which creates a build up. when you run the us cleaner it get's warm and with the vodka it is sufficient to get really clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread