The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Clear-Coat Question

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by TrashBoat, Apr 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. TrashBoat

TrashBoat Full Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Hello everyone,

I am new to the patina process and have just begun to patina my old penny mod clone using the ammonia and salt method. I am going to let it sit in the container for a full 24hrs before letting it dry, with intermittent reapplication of ammonia and salt, as well as rotation.

My question involves the clear coat. What do I use? Do I sand, and if so how and when do I do it? I don't want the patina to rub off, and I want it to be as clear, vibrant, and glossy as possible.

2. berger

berger Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2010
    Carvahall
    just go directly over with multiple clear coats like rustoleum clear lacquer is popular but it can change/darken the color somewhat ...you can knock off the high spots with a light rubbing of 0000 steel wool if desired prior to coating...I suggest a solvent wipe down with alcohol or pure acetone immediately prior..really dont want any skin oils on anything right before painting...the final clear can be sanded/buffed to get it as smooth as glass if you build it up high enough...

• Like Like x 2
  3. KentA

KentA Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 5, 2015
    Adirondack Mountains
    I just clean the patina with a water & baking soda solution to clean & neutralize any salt, vinegar, ammonia,egg, etc then apply 3-4 very light layers of automotive clear coat followed by a heavier layer. I like the finish, & yes it does darken the shade a tad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.