The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

patina clear coat

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by ginny005, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ginny005

ginny005 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I did a force patina on a copper mod. I thought I had a can of clear coat, and realized when I went to get it out of the cabinet that I did not. My mod turned out decent so I didn't want to use it before it had clear coat on it. 11pm at night I wasn't going out to buy more. I started looking for something else to use and I found a bottle of clear fingernail polish (we use this on the arm screw of eye glasses to keep the screw from backing out). I painted my mod with the nail polish let it dry till the next day washed it a few times to get rid of the smell (helped a little). I have been using the mod for a couple weeks and it still looks great hasn't chipped or changed colors. Thought I'd share this cause I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

It does look glossy but I'm ok with that. would look a lot better if I would've been able to wet sand it then apply the nail polish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.