Clearly I'm Dry Burning Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

loislolalane

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
So I've tried dry burning and it doesn't come out the way people say it should. It tastes HORRIBLE afterward. I doing the rinse, dry burn for 5 second intervals until bright orange, glowy coil thing and I've failed every time. I'm thinking about just rebuilding the coils and moving on with my life. (LOL) Wire work I can do. Dry burning, not so much.

Living, loving, and laughing all the time!

Mrskoon1

Sep 20, 2013
Florida
Honestly I can't master this either, I've found it easier to just either buy new wick and coil or rebuild new one. Of what a lot of people do is let it sit in either water or vodka overnight and then do a dry burn apparently this helps the gunk come off much quicker and easier without burning the coil out. I have a protank 2 and to replace heads cost me a dollar so I do that

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
If you look at the coil with a magnifying glass, it should look clean and free of ash chunks. If they're there, you can loosen them with an old toothbrush or a wooden toothpick, then rinse again. The second quick cleaning after the dry burn is the key to removing traces of the ash. Good luck!

jhelliwell

Fog master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Sheffielld, UK
Yep you need to RINSE after a dry burn.

Every couple of tank refills
1. Old head out. New head in. Vape
2. Old head - lift rubber gasket halfway up the post
3. Rinse thoroughly in hot water making sure water goes down the centre post and flows out the bottom
4. Submerge in vodka

Coulpe of days later, or when you can be bothered
1. Take out of vodka
2. Wait for vodka to evaporate
3. Mount the base and head ONLY (not the tank) onto PV
4. Pull centre post off
(optional) if you have the material for it, replace the flavour wicks
5. Dry burn (2 second pulse, wait, repeat until smoke ceases, coils glow)
6. Insert post, rinse the head
7. Leave to dry for a long while
8. Put the head back into rotation
9. First time you use the head - Prime the flavour wick - put a few drops of ejuice directly onto the flavour wick before filling, vaping

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
If you're having problems doing a dry burn (I did starting out, popped so many attys...:facepalm:), do a wet burn instead. Get some pure PG, no nicotine and drip it on your coils so they are saturated, fire your PV up enough to heat the PG to boiling, and blow put the excess. Rinse and saturate again, heat, blow out the excess, then add your juice and vape...:vapor: The crud on the coil was dissolved in PG to begin with, and the PG is an acceptable solvent for cleaning.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
So I've tried dry burning and it doesn't come out the way people say it should. It tastes HORRIBLE afterward. I doing the rinse, dry burn for 5 second intervals until bright orange, glowy coil thing and I've failed every time. I'm thinking about just rebuilding the coils and moving on with my life. (LOL) Wire work I can do. Dry burning, not so much.

I don't mean to be a pain, but just what are we dry burning here? Device please.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Yeah, I think a good rinse after burning will help get rid of the burnt smell and taste...at least that's what I do. I have also dissolved a little baking soda in the water and soaked for awhile...then rinse again. Helps to absorb that burnt smell.

Rinsing, drying, burning, soaking, rinsing, drying...hardly seems worth the effort. We are cheap SOBs, aren't we.

Hoot48

Feb 27, 2012
Palm Springs, Ca.
I feel your pain...what atty are you working with? I had a hard time with dry burning also....i rebuild ALL my coils now. I use Kanger BCCs and a decent drip rebuildable exclusively now. I use mostly cotton wick on Kangers and have the ability to replace wick a few times without recoiling. Its really quick and simple on Evods...T3S...and mini protank 2s...there are many vids on youtube on how to do this...It was truly a gamechanger for me when I started going this route.
Good Vaping

Last edited:

loislolalane

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
I feel your pain...what atty are you working with? I had a hard time with dry burning also....i rebuild ALL my coils now. I use Kanger BCCs and a decent drip rebuildable exclusively now. I use mostly cotton wick on Kangers and have the ability to replace wick a few times without recoiling. Its really quick and simple on Evods...T3S...and mini protank 2s...there are many vids on youtube on how to do this...It was truly a gamechanger for me when I started going this route.
Good Vaping

I have a Protank 2 and I really think that rebuilding is my best bet. I'm apt to believe dry burning isn't for everybody.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I have a Protank 2 and I really think that rebuilding is my best bet. I'm apt to believe dry burning isn't for everybody.

I tried dry burning a few times, but didn't care for it. I don't dry burn anything now and I'm vaping just fine. :)

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Protank 2. I've been reading about many people having a burnt taste.

Ok! lol

First, are you separating out the people who complain about a burnt taste and are just running their Kanger device hotter than they need to or should? These things should always be started at your lowest possible voltage - new or dry burned. Move the voltage up from there only as needed. Especially true if you are using 1.8 ohm coils. I don't like the 1.8 ohm - they just get too hot, too fast and there is no where to go to drop the voltage as far as you may need to.

When you dry burn, are you burning until the wick & coil stop producing smoke? If not, you aren't done dry burning.

How are you handling the top wicks? If you don't have a gas oven you need to expose them to some other open flame to burn the crud off those too. This is where long handle metal tweezers come in handy. I've found that most top wicks don't last more than one or two cleanings, depending on how "generous" they were with what was put in there. Very quickly the top wick has to be replaced with the material of your choice. Even some cheesecloth can be made into a replacement top wick if you are "crafty." Toss any used cotton wick instead of trying to dry burn it, of course.

You can't just remove the top wicks and leave them out. That results in the coil flooding with more liquid than it can handle, and vapor production actually goes down - not up. People then try to compensate by ramping the voltage up. And that gets you right back to what you were trying to cure: harsh burnt taste and more flavorings in the liquid burning onto the coil than actually turning into vapor.

The other things you have to make sure you do with a cleaned coil - besides starting it at low voltage - is give the wick a minute to absorb liquids again.

I'm betting if it tastes burnt to you after cleaning you either

didn't dry burn it enough
didn't give a dry wick a chance to absorb liquid
starting running the cleaned coil too hot

in that order.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Man, someone always has to come along and make everything difficult ;)

I like you.

Lol - you guys know all too well, when it isn't spelled out, that's when you end up with a 60 message thread that finally reveals someone was trying to dry burn a carto or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread