Status
Not open for further replies.

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
I have a really bad habit of scorching the wicks on my clearomizers. So I have been pulling them out (they usually break in half) then taking the one half and sliding it back into the coil. It works fine but since it is so short it wastes half the capacity. So I got to thinking I should just buy replacement fiberglass wick material. I found a place online that sells it but am unsure what size to get. I can't decide if 1/16 or 1/8 would be the more appropriate choice. I really don't want to fiddle with any soldering, which seems to be my only other option, so any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if this has been answered else where, but I couldn't find it.

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
I'm confused.

How Exactly do you scorch a CE2 wick?

Basically, I chain vape. Furthermore, I do so with a high vg mix that doesn't wick as fast. We'll just say I vape very seriously. Additionally, sometimes when I am cleaning it I don't pay enough attention.

The problem isn't the taste, which is bad but deal with able, the problem is thwart when scorched they don't wick well making the problem worse.

Groundswell17

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Pennsylvania
i didn't know that stuff was fiberglass, if thats really the case, a marine supply store would have fiberglass cloth in house. you could grab just a small length of it, buy 1 foot or so, of something higher than 9oz cloth, and just pull the threads out.

I got a bunch of the ce3's cause they were cheap as dirt over at totally wicked, they def wick better, they just have leaking issues and a... i hate this word.. "learning curve". but so did the ce2's for me. i only use CE's when i get a hair up my .... anymore. fell out of love with them

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Basically, I chain vape. Furthermore, I do so with a high vg mix that doesn't wick as fast. We'll just say I vape very seriously. Additionally, sometimes when I am cleaning it I don't pay enough attention.

The problem isn't the taste, which is bad but deal with able, the problem is thwart when scorched they don't wick well making the problem worse.

I have been involved with the CE2's (E2's) since day one.

The problem to me doesn't sound so much to be with the wick but as something causing the wick not to wick fast enough.

Have you tried?

Tilting the battery end up when you take a hit?
Enlarging the cup seal slots into a "V"?
Removed the cup seal and just used the O-Ring upside-down?
Removed ALL the seals and just used a Drip Tip?
Used a High Ohm CE2?

The wicks are made, everyone's best guess, of pure Silica Fibers. Fiberglass is a generic term for a family of fibers that are impregnated with Resins and Catalysis. You don't really know what you are buying when you buy fiberglass.

If you are dead set on replacing wicks, I would suggest you do an ECF search for Silica Wick or Silica Rope.

BTW - What revision CE2's are you using and did you get them? Also, what ohm are they and what voltage is your PV outputting?

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
I have been involved with the CE2's (E2's) since day one.

The problem to me doesn't sound so much to be with the wick but as something causing the wick not to wick fast enough.

Yes, that precisely is the problem, but since I require a higher VG percentage, not much to help that. Even with using vodka to dilute.

Have you tried?

Tilting the battery end up when you take a hit?
Yes, I even keep then upside down when not in use.
Enlarging the cup seal slots into a "V"?
Stopped doing that because I keep cutting myself. I am really accident prone :)
Removed the cup seal and just used the O-Ring upside-down?
Yes, I do that, and it helps alot, but doesn't fix it entirely.
Removed ALL the seals and just used a Drip Tip?
Not sure what drip tip works for these. I'll have to check that out and see about ordering some.
Used a High Ohm CE2?
I use 2.6- 2.8 fluxomizers with an ego passthrough so 3.2 V if I m remembering correctly. The higher Ohms ones do help though.

The wicks are made, everyone's best guess, of pure Silica Fibers. Fiberglass is a generic term for a family of fibers that are impregnated with Resins and Catalysis. You don't really know what you are buying when you buy fiberglass.

If you are dead set on replacing wicks, I would suggest you do an ECF search for Silica Wick or Silica Rope.
I will try those search terms. I didn't have much luck with using the term "replacement wicks". The only things I found were the ones for the rebuild-able atomizers, which never seem to be in stock.

BTW - What revision CE2's are you using and did you get them? Also, what ohm are they and what voltage is your PV outputting?

Thanks for the help.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks for the help.

No problem.

You might try starting a New thread in the MOD Sub-Forum. I saw a post awhile back where there is a company that does sell CE2's replacement wick pre-cut. Just can't seem to recall where I saw it.

Many have experimented with High Temp Silica Fibers.

fiberglassandsilica.jpg

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
I went ahead and ordered some firefly 1/8 fiberglass wick. It was cheaper than the other option. Figure if it doesn't work I might know if smaller will do it, or maybe it will work great and then I can buy in bulk. Although these things are rather cheap, I am extremely frugal so replacing the defective parts appeals to me. I'll have to try to take a picture of my wicks so you can see what I am doing to then. I know it is entirely my fault and not that of the product, but as I have said before, the only thing keeping me off analogues is sucking on this thing like a pacifier.

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
Let us know how it works out.

Just make sure you test the wick by torching it with a lighter BEFORE you try it in a Carto. If it melts, Singes or does Anything funky, Don't use it.

That I surely remember from a bad choice in cart filler. But these are nonconsumables used in little oil lamps so I am cautiously hopeful.

And here is my picture, out at least the link.
viewer

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That I surely remember from a bad choice in cart filler. But these are nonconsumables used in little oil lamps so I am cautiously hopeful.

And here is my picture, out at least the link.
viewer

I have taken CE2 wicks and put them in the flame of a gas stove before. It glowed Red but after cooling there was no noticable changes to it.

Like I said, let us know how things work for you.

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
Well, the 1/8 was much to big and really not able to be unbraided. So I have a question out to a wick store. I am hoping they might be willing to send me/sell me a sampler of their smallest diameter wicks. Since nhaler is always our of wicks and cov, they dont really have anything else I want and I always feel stupid making such tiny orders, makes shipping charges seem fairly suspicious.

sharpi

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2011
Indiana
So how do you get the wicks back in. I ask because when I was removing the bottom rubber stopper I damaged my coil....stretched it out a little from the wick. It still works but has a funny taste like exhaust or something. I was wondering if I could repair it. If not...they are cheap enough that I wasn't too worried about tossing it.

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
So how do you get the wicks back in. I ask because when I was removing the bottom rubber stopper I damaged my coil....stretched it out a little from the wick. It still works but has a funny taste like exhaust or something. I was wondering if I could repair it. If not...they are cheap enough that I wasn't too worried about tossing it.

Well, I don't seem to stretch the coil when I remove the old ones, so I just dampen the wick I am installing, twist it really tightly, then keep turning it as I thread it through the coil. Once it is in where I want it, I just twist it back like I am trying to unwind it, if that makes sense.

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
I guess you can keep spending money and wasting time if you want. The wick from COV is a nearly perfect match.

All part of the fun for me ;)

I will probably end up buying some from them, but if I can slide it in with a craft order, so much the better. And it is stuff I would be able to use for other things, just like the wicks I already know won't work. I am pretty crafty, not so crafty I make people or anything, but crafty nevertheless.

Esig

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Well, the 1/8 was much to big and really not able to be unbraided. So I have a question out to a wick store. I am hoping they might be willing to send me/sell me a sampler of their smallest diameter wicks. Since nhaler is always our of wicks and cov, they dont really have anything else I want and I always feel stupid making such tiny orders, makes shipping charges seem fairly suspicious.

COV was my prefered supplier but that was before he started charging rediculous freight charges since when does a company make profit on freight charges and I also got sick and tired of them never having stock all you see on there is a button that say notify me. (just my opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread