Climbing back on the wagon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soot

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
Belfast, UK

It's been a few months since I posted here having fell off the wagon and returned to smoking 'analogs'. I doubt I'm the only sinner and wonder what other miscreants make of my observations:

1. Returning to smoking after months of vaping started with a pack of 10 lasting a few days. A few weeks later and I was smoking much more heavily than I ever did. The convenience of vaping carried across – or had I been dosing myself with too high a nicotine level? Either way, I’m now smoking almost twice what I was before I first quit. I thought I’d just post this observation – not to criticise vaping but to see if others have had similar experiences. I still believe vaping to be the most effective alternative to smoking and is far healthier than analogs. In just the few months of returning to sin I’ve noticed health effects. I had been using max strength liquid supported by a series of batteries that allowed me vape pretty much constantly. This was probably unwise but it's plain daft 'smoking' in that way.

2. I put falling off the wagon down to (in increasing order of importance); bereavement, a militant workforce, losing more money in the ‘financial meltdown’ than I could ever smoke, the wife crashing the car (and her being OK!), institutionalising the parents-in-law, the insane amount of fiddly things e-cigs need and the devastation caused when my stereo broke!

The stereo is now fixed but I’m determined to share what little wisdom I’ve gained from this experience:

The e-cig setup needs simplified – particularly battery charging. E-cigs typically charge one battery, these batteries have insufficient power and before long vaping has you carrying around a handbag full of atomisers, liquid, carts, charger and backup devices that’d have you ‘rubber gloved’ if you tried taking it through an airport! Going away overnight requires a check-list and a bank of charged batteries that you can only get by having a second charger.

Improving atomiser reliability may be some time off but there is absolutely NO REASON I can think of for the absence of chargers capable of recharging several batteries at the same time. Even going out for a night requires a few fully charged batteries. The e-cigar that used standard rechargeable batteries that I could charge 4 at a time became my preferred device – but then its atomiser quit.

Vaping a cigar didn’t suit my personality – I’m not fat, I’m not bald and the bankers have made sure I’m not wealthy either. I think a pipe should suit my needs – but I don’t want to have to buy a new one every time the atomiser fails. This pipe needs a sturdy standard re-chargeable battery that I can recharge in 4’s – or at least 2’s.

Does such a product exist? The aim is simple – I want a device that doesn’t require constant battery attention and carrying plugs, USBs and military planning.

dibbyb

Apr 14, 2009
Syracuse, NY
A very interesting and revealing post. I'm not surprised you're back to smoking again, if all you say is true and I don't doubt it is.
What I was aware of when I smoked was what a friend the cigarette had become to me after a 50 year relationship. I'm sure you are taking advantage of that friendship now to relieve your stress. It always worked for me. The e-Cig didn't get a chance with you to become a friend, but I think it could.
What I would say to you is:

Worry more about reducing your stress, it can be a killer more dangerous than smoking.

I quit in November but used Chantix to do it. Only started vaping (vapeing?) this month. Not for stress but wanted to stop eating junk and getting fat.
I got lucky while I was quitting - my boss, who was causing me (and all my co-workers) no end of stress, FIRED ME! Best thing that could've happened. Stress of job eliminated. Not much stress collecting half pay without punching a time clock. Should last until SS kicks in for me.

Get well soon,

Ed

Ramblin

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Columbia, Missouri
If I had a device that the battery would last a full day, I would be content to buy several atomizers a month if the cost was under $20USD.

Standardized batteries would help tremendously. A better liquid delivery system has yet to be developed. Much of this could be the manufacturers using the printer ink business plan, where they didn't make much on the hardware, but paid their boat payments with profits from refilled cartridges. There is no real incentive for the manufacturers to develop a better liquid delivery system. Of course the demand for the hardware has outstripped the supply and many are wise to the cost of buying cartridges and are filling their own.

What is silly is the amount I've spent on hardware even with all of the reviews on the forum.

Sounds like you've had a rough time of it recently. Hope you can keep looking for those things that are good and precious in your life. Without the valleys, we fail to appreciate the mountains.

1010chrissy

Moved On
Mar 24, 2009

It's been a few months since I posted here having fell off the wagon and returned to smoking 'analogs'. I doubt I'm the only sinner and wonder what other miscreants make of my observations:

1. Returning to smoking after months of vaping started with a pack of 10 lasting a few days. A few weeks later and I was smoking much more heavily than I ever did. The convenience of vaping carried across – or had I been dosing myself with too high a nicotine level? Either way, I’m now smoking almost twice what I was before I first quit. I thought I’d just post this observation – not to criticise vaping but to see if others have had similar experiences. I still believe vaping to be the most effective alternative to smoking and is far healthier than analogs. In just the few months of returning to sin I’ve noticed health effects. I had been using max strength liquid supported by a series of batteries that allowed me vape pretty much constantly. This was probably unwise but it's plain daft 'smoking' in that way.

2. I put falling off the wagon down to (in increasing order of importance); bereavement, a militant workforce, losing more money in the ‘financial meltdown’ than I could ever smoke, the wife crashing the car (and her being OK!), institutionalising the parents-in-law, the insane amount of fiddly things e-cigs need and the devastation caused when my stereo broke!

The stereo is now fixed but I’m determined to share what little wisdom I’ve gained from this experience:

The e-cig setup needs simplified – particularly battery charging. E-cigs typically charge one battery, these batteries have insufficient power and before long vaping has you carrying around a handbag full of atomisers, liquid, carts, charger and backup devices that’d have you ‘rubber gloved’ if you tried taking it through an airport! Going away overnight requires a check-list and a bank of charged batteries that you can only get by having a second charger.

Improving atomiser reliability may be some time off but there is absolutely NO REASON I can think of for the absence of chargers capable of recharging several batteries at the same time. Even going out for a night requires a few fully charged batteries. The e-cigar that used standard rechargeable batteries that I could charge 4 at a time became my preferred device – but then its atomiser quit.

Vaping a cigar didn’t suit my personality – I’m not fat, I’m not bald and the bankers have made sure I’m not wealthy either. I think a pipe should suit my needs – but I don’t want to have to buy a new one every time the atomiser fails. This pipe needs a sturdy standard re-chargeable battery that I can recharge in 4’s – or at least 2’s.

Does such a product exist? The aim is simple – I want a device that doesn’t require constant battery attention and carrying plugs, USBs and military planning.

I could swear that I could have wrote that same synopsis myself. I havent gotten that bad with the "SIN" of analogs, but it is gradually getting more daily. I was smoking no analogs the first month and a half, almost 2 months. Now It seems to be more work than its worth. Its just easy to light up sometimes. Or the batts dont seem to work at capacity with a full charge, or something is wrong with the atomizer. Just to much maintenance after a while. Good job with the honesty. I love it! I too love to vape and cant wait for someone to figure out the bullet proof ecigs. They will still sell lots of liquid. Let me know if there is a perfect vaping cig out there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread