"Clones" are actually the REAL THING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike64

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Sorry, i didnt see that you covered the Anne Stokes image already before i posted my opinion. I think its great that the image was licensed from her; that's how it should be. Cloning is never going to stop if consumers keep buying....

I don't think he actually said they licensed it from her....just that if you check that you MIGHT find out that they may have...I don't think anyone knows if they did or didn't at this point...

Jayvaps

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
South Florida
I sent a few emails to some Anne stokes websites and fan clubs inquiring about licensing the image.... I wonder if any of them will reply?

If you are really curious, contact her licensing agency. Art Ask Licensing. http://www.artaskagency.com/lic-anne-stokes-collection.aspx

Everything I have seen licensed by her(there are quite a few products shown on her websites ranging from jigsaw puzzles to shirts to sculptures that she certainly licenses), although everyone I have seen has been labeled the 'Anne Stokes Collection', but one never knows....

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I think people generally misunderstand copyright.
It is misunderstood to be copywrong.

Liberty means you have certain inalienable rights. But your rights are of course limited in that you can't be infringing on somebody else's rights. So one has the right to copy, but you certainly can't go so far as to produce a deception - ie counterfiet;

But when you get in international copyright issues, well turns into a ball game.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
The title of this thread is ""Clones" are actually the REAL THING"

And there has been talk about people cloning stuff even to the point of copying trademarks and logos.

So here is the question:

Below is a picture from fasttech:

1429700-1.jpg

https://fasttechcdn.com/products/142/1429700/1429700-1.jpg

Now that looks to me like its supposed to be a genuine Kangertech Protank II.

Am I wrong? Is there a reason to suspect that this is not a ligitimate Kangertech Protank II?

I currently use a steel and glass clearo that looks like a protank and I would refer to it as a protank, but it has no logo or trademark on it so I know its just a knockoff or a clone, but the one in the picture from fasttech, I would have assumed is a genuine Kanger.

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL

And there has been talk about people cloning stuff even to the point of copying trademarks and logos.

So here is the question:

1429700-1.jpg

Am I wrong? Is there a reason to suspect that this is not a ligitimate Kangertech Protank II?

I currently use a steel and glass clearo that looks like a protank and I would refer to it as a protank, but it has no logo or trademark on it so I know its just a knockoff or a clone, but the one in the picture from fasttech, I would have assumed is a genuine Kanger.
Fasttech does sell some authentic gear like Protanks. Even so, to answer your question, you'd realize whether it is legit or not once you get it. I know some vape shops getting Protank clones with their own logos in them and I could tell they were fakes the moment I held it. I also had a fake Vivi Nova and it was pretty obvious both in quality build and vape quality.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Fasttech does sell some authentic gear like Protanks. Even so, to answer your question, you'd realize whether it is legit or not once you get it. I know some vape shops getting Protank clones with their own logos in them and I could tell they were fakes the moment I held it. I also had a fake Vivi Nova and it was pretty obvious both in quality build and vape quality.

I was just reading a post with comparison pictures of kanger labelled items, one genuine and one from "Passtech"; so I am concerned, because I have no problem at all buying a knockoff or clone, but I want nothing to do with counterfiet.

GREEN ZOMBIE

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Calgary AB
I was just reading a post with comparison pictures of kanger labelled items, one genuine and one from "Passtech"; so I am concerned, because I have no problem at all buying a knockoff or clone, but I want nothing to do with counterfiet.

I agree with you, I have no issue as long as I know it's what it is... Did that make sense?

I think some people just get mad at the fact you can have for $15 what they paid $175 to own and it functions just as good (sometimes better) than the original, My take on this is who cares, I'm not a name brand consumer, I'm a does it work consumer, all I ask is they don't try to stick a Nike label on my wal-mart shoes... I want to show my fakes off with style for the whole world to see.

+1 The Russian... Woot!!!

GREEN ZOMBIE

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Calgary AB

So here is the question:

1429700-1.jpg

Ah... Yes FastTech tends to put the word "Genuine" in the title or "Authentic"... But even then I'm skeptical with that supplier.

Hmm, there is one case in point... I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited:

donesmokin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
NE Oregon
Really people? I'm trying to replace a cigarette not a Rolex. Do I really need a $200 tube and a $150 topper to pull it off? It's not rocket surgery. Some may be willing to fork out big money, like a Hollywood star, to have the latest and greatest designer doodad. I just want something that keeps me from smoking. I don't care about copies, counterfeits, clones or whatever. The Polish, Greek, Slovakian, American or whatever guy should be proud and happy with the fact they contributed to the common good of all vapers. There, I hope I've now killed this thread like I have so many others. :)

GREEN ZOMBIE

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Calgary AB
Really people? I'm trying to replace a cigarette not a Rolex. Do I really need a $200 tube and a $150 topper to pull it off? It's not rocket surgery. Some may be willing to fork out big money, like a Hollywood star, to have the latest and greatest designer doodad. I just want something that keeps me from smoking. I don't care about copies, counterfeits, clones or whatever. The Polish, Greek, Slovakian, American or whatever guy should be proud and happy with the fact they contributed to the common good of all vapers. There, I hope I've now killed this thread like I have so many others. :)

Hahaha, I like you, "Rocket Surgery" I'll have to use that now... And I totally agree with you BTW... Nice Honda!!!

GREEN ZOMBIE

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Calgary AB

So here is the question:

1429700-1.jpg

Ok found what I was looking for... They even went so far as to put it in what looks like a Kanger box... but if you look there is no Kanger name on the tanks in this section, and the beauty ring is not a Kanger ring, it has air slots cut in it... $9.39 Protank-II Style Bottom Coil Clearomizer (2.5mL) - translucent / 2.5ohm / beauty ring at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Edit... lol now that I look closer isn't that also a Protank one box?

Last edited:

donesmokin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
NE Oregon
Hahaha, I like you, "Rocket Surgery" I'll have to use that now... And I totally agree with you BTW... Nice Honda!!!

Good eye, and thanks for reminding me. I'd rather have my cheap Honda than the name brand expensive Harley, which seems to break down a lot BTW. Never mind this Honda seems to be a deer magnet, that's a whole 'nother story. But really, it's a battery and a topper. Why does it have to be as expensive as The Crown Jewels to be worthy?

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
We are not talking about whether you NEED a $200 mod or not to quit the stinkies. I'd say most people don't. Some of us are performance nuts and we want the best performance and quality. In a mechanical mod, not only do you want long lasting quality, but you want highly conductive contacts to reduce voltage drop. While it differs among clones and who makes them as some clones are pretty close to the authentic ones, a mod that drops 0.5V on a 0.6-0.7 ohm coil is out of my sight. Such high voltage drop also means reduced battery life. Mind you there's $100+ mechs that have high voltage drops too, not only clones. If I remember correctly the Hcigar clone of the Nemesis has the same voltage drop of the original one, or so I've heard. Ideally we could all build ourselves a cheap tube with stellar contacts and have a mod that hits like any $200+.

There's many things that come into play when buying a mod. Looks, versatility, durability, build quality, price (budget here), availability, customer service, size, voltage drop/VV/VW, weight. Whatever keeps you off the stinkies. However the argument of "they are mad because my $20 clone is just as good as their $200" could be reversed to the other side by saying "they are trying to justify and praise their cheap $20 clone because they can't afford the authentic". I treat a clone like a mod on its own, and I review it by the standards I review any other mod. If it happens to be really good, I'll keep it, be it a clone or not.

donesmokin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
NE Oregon
I am "donesmokin" but you could call me "redneckvaper". I've got a Vamo with a Boge carto in a cheapo tank and I'm good. I don't need a couple hundred dollar name brand tower of power to get the job done, just sayin'.

Hey GREEN ZOMBIE, here's another one: In flight rocket mechanic.

Last edited:

GREEN ZOMBIE

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Calgary AB
I am "donesmokin" but you could call me "redneckvaper". I've got a Vamo with a Boge carto in a cheapo tank and I'm good. I don't need a couple hundred dollar name brand tower of power to get the job done, just sayin'.

Hey GREEN ZOMBIE, here's another one: In flight rocket technician.

LOL, "In flight rocket technician" That's a good one too... I Like boge cardos alot, I have one in my AGR+ tank right now, I'm right with ya, If it's cheap and works the way I want it to I'm good.

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL

Hey GREEN ZOMBIE, here's another one: In flight rocket mechanic.
By next week I'll have 6 carto tanks, 5 of them are the $10 ones with Smoktek and Boge cartos. Because of the price it might look like a "cheap" setup but carto tanks are simply epic. A warm rich flavor vape for sure. I do love variety, I got gennys, carto tanks, clearos (which I'm getting rid off because I simply love carto tanks too much to justify using clearos), RDAs and a soon to come (I hope) Kayfun. I slap a kick 2 on my nemesis and a carto tank on it in the smallest mode, I got a pretty satisfying vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread