Not open for further replies.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Just watched a short e-cigarette segment on CNN

2 Million Middle School students have tried e-cigarettes
20% of middle school kids who only use e-cigs will probably go on to smoke cigarettes.

E-cigarettes are marketed to kids

E-cigarette batteries are a safety concern because some have exploded causing injuries

Nicotine filled vapor ... and those around an e-smoker may be inhaling nicotine.
Implied non-smokers who vape will be addicted to nicotine.

Smokers who vape are likely not to quit and return to smoking cigarettes.

Of course they threw in the FDA garbage about harmful ingredients
and mentioned the CDC slanted propaganda.

Anyone else see the segment ??

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
Just watched a short e-cigarette segment on CNN

2 Million Middle School students have tried e-cigarettes
20% of middle school kids who only use e-cigs will probably go on to smoke cigarettes.

E-cigarettes are marketed to kids

E-cigarette batteries are a safety concern because some have exploded causing injuries

Nicotine filled vapor ... and those around an e-smoker may be inhaling nicotine.
Implied non-smokers who vape will be addicted to nicotine.

Smokers who vape are likely not to quit and return to smoking cigarettes.

Of course they threw in the FDA garbage about harmful ingredients
and mentioned the CDC slanted propaganda.

Anyone else see the segment ??
Dont think I want to after reading your play by play:facepalm:

peep531

Apr 22, 2013
Texas
I saw it too, it thoroughly chaps me that they refer to e-cigarettes as a "tobacco product". Did he not even bother to ask the e-cig user he sat next to about the product and his experience?? Would pat him on the back and congratulate him if he were using a nicotine patch or nicotine gum?

Instead of interviewing successful users and real medical doctors on the benefits of e-cigarettes and the fact that there is such a thing as 0 nicotine levels he brings in a talking head from the CDC who has not even looked into legitimate research. I'm going to send him my first pet scan showing spots in my lungs, and my last pet scan showing that one spot has disappeared.
peep

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Did they actually say 20% who try a likely to go on to smoking cigarettes?! What on earth are they basing that on?

That's exactly what I would like to know. Considering the fact that smoking initiation rates are at an all time low (4.8% females, 4.7% males), with the difference between 2009 rates and 2012 rates statistically significant to the 0.5 level, that is not going to happen. Results from the 2012 NSDUH: Summary of National Findings, SAMHSA, CBHSQ

Apparently Gupta is a good little parrot, except for when he gets the urge to embellish the propaganda with his own imaginary facts.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Are you seriously asking the media to back up their claims with data, legitimate research, scientific fact and evidence?

Silly rabbit...

Well, no, but this is way beyond what we usually see. Usually things are twisted with weasel words (maybe, could, possibly). If they said, flat out, that 20% of kids who try an electronic cigarette will 'graduate' to smoking then they are pulling numbers out of orifices.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I found this posted on YouTube posted on sept 12, but it doesn't appear to be the same thing the op is talking about. Here gupta seems fairly agnostic about electronic cigarettes.

CNN Dr. Sanjay Gupta talks about electronic cigarettes - YouTube
Not bad ... (not a vid of the 9/28 segment)

I think its against some kind of Federal Law to include
anyone who vapes ... in segments on the topic of e-cigarettes.
Wouldn't be "fair and balanced" ... don't ya know.
:p

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
While at YouTube, I ran across several more Doctors talking positive about eCigs.
This guy has part 1 and a part 2. Dr. David Baron.
He somehow keeps mentioning just one brand, but that's okay. He knows it, and is comfortable talking about it, so who am I to judge.
Electronic Cigarette - Dr. David Baron, M.D. - PART 1/2 - YouTube

He is an M.D. ... UCLA Santa Monica chief of staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread