Cockatiel question for Leaford, or any other bird people..

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazzledglispa

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2008
Denver, CO
Don't just run out to the petstore and get a new bird. You can't just put a new bird in your existing bird's cage and expect them to get along. If you decide to get another bird the new bird needs to be set up in it's own cage in a separate room at least 30 feet from the existing bird for a period of no less than 30 days (quarantine.) That way if the new bird is ill it won't infect the old bird.

After the quarantine period is over you can place both cages in the same room. You can gradually start letting the birds out at the same time while supervising their behavior. At the same time you can start moving their cages closer together, until eventually they are side by side.

The birds may let you know that they are ready to share a cage by doing so on their own, or you may be able to move the process along.

Think about it this way. How would you feel if you woke up one day and there was a stranger living in your house? You have no idea who they are or where they came from, but there they are, and they won't leave.

NerdyCinderella

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2008
Gotham City
It all goes back to instincts. Males and females are both intelligent and capable of learning songs or words.............................................................
And, it gives you a tool to impose discipline and stop a screaming attack. But birds scream. The only quiet bird is an unhealthy one. Get used to that.
Well there you go leaford, a backup career if you should ever need one:
A TV series like the Dog Whisperer but yours could be called the Bird Whistler.

Liberate_Yourself

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2008
U.S.
www.smokeliberation.com
Thank you immensely Leaford!! You have given me hope. I especially like the part where I get to squirt him in the face if he acts up.. mmmm sweet revenge! Bwahahahahaha!!!! ... er.. I mean to say.. Great training tool... yeah, that's the ticket..

You guys crack me up.. ahahahah.. Such great people here.

NerdyCinderella

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2008
Gotham City
....I especially like the part where I get to squirt him in the face if he acts up.. mmmm sweet revenge!......
angryyou.gif

NerdyCinderella

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2008
Gotham City
Whaaaaaaat? :D

You obviously don't know how loud and at what frequency these little hell-spawned demon birds can scream at!! hahaha It is absolutely ear-piercing.
And you don't know my dry, sarcastic, irreverent sense of humor. I was trying to be funny cause I thought you were. I don't like to judge people. Just stay cool. Hopefully you'll get to know me better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread