Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
No hard and fast rule. generally, with a drop in coil, I consider one, how old is it? If it's already seen a lot of work, then it may be a good time to change anyway. Second, what's the new flavor? If you were vaping say a heavy Turkish coffee and now going to a Raspberry donut, it's going to take a few tanks through to lose the old flavor, if any. If it's a Raspberry to Blueberry, you'll e fine after several draws.

So, newish coil with decent expected lifespan, and the flavors are in the same category, sure, you can change over and the flavors will transition well. Big category differences, or coils getting close to, but not yet at their end of life, I personally would rather have a fresh coil. Obviously that depends on coil availability (if you don't have any in the house and you have to change juice you go with what you have), and budget (I'd rather waste the $2-3 a new coil costs if it's a flavor change I regard as important).

Reactions: toneman2121

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I see you got your juices. Yes, it takes awhile to transition flavors, but if you dump the tank (save it in a container for now) after about 5 draws you should be tasting mostly the new flavor (unless, as mentioned, the previous one is really dominate) I would not change coil (if you must do that, you will have to prime new coil and go through the whole waiting game again) Put used coil in a baggie or wrap so it doesn't dry out. What I do is use my unflavored "base" (for DIY) dump juice, vape some base, dump that, try new flavor, dump, and so on. I save all the dumped juice in one container and call it "mutt mix"... sometimes it's good (even fruits mixed with tobaccos) Really better to leave the coil be. I've discovered good mixes during the transition BTW. Don't let tank get too low... never run it close to empty, just dump it out and reload.
It's a new coil folks... he just got the device and juices ;)

Marper

Moved On
May 20, 2019
Mints,menthol, coffee tend to stick around, as others have said, changing fruits is not to bad,I mainly build and if changing from one extreme to another I dry burn and rewick, stock coils you just have to pull the new flavour through or lose the coil and fit a replacement, but with stock coils, I'm sub-ohm, I split the tank and clean it leaving the coil, I then refit the coil and add new juice, leaving it for a few minutes then I lower the wattage and fire while blowing through the afc, I do that a few times leaving it 10 mins each time, works out pretty good

toneman2121

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2019
philly
Hey, that mango/peach is really strong! Should have told you to save it for last.
Look at the top right of page... click on "Inbox"... you have a message.
Mints,menthol, coffee tend to stick around, as others have said, changing fruits is not to bad,I mainly build and if changing from one extreme to another I dry burn and rewick, stock coils you just have to pull the new flavour through or lose the coil and fit a replacement, but with stock coils, I'm sub-ohm, I split the tank and clean it leaving the coil, I then refit the coil and add new juice, leaving it for a few minutes then I lower the wattage and fire while blowing through the afc, I do that a few times leaving it 10 mins each time, works out pretty good

yeah, i followed some of that

Reactions: Marper

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
It's a bit of work, but here's another trick: dump tank, remove coil and soak in grain alcohol (vodka works fine), rinse and dry tank. After soaking coil, blow air through the top of coil (just helps get some of the alcohol out) and let it dry (for hours) I've done this for different reason... coil was getting a bit clogged (but not scorched) and I can get a few extra day out of it. Doesn't always work, but would get rid of flavor if it bothered you.

toneman2121

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2019
philly
It's a bit of work, but here's another trick: dump tank, remove coil and soak in grain alcohol (vodka works fine), rinse and dry tank. After soaking coil, blow air through the top of coil (just helps get some of the alcohol out) and let it dry (for hours) I've done this for different reason... coil was getting a bit clogged (but not scorched) and I can get a few extra day out of it. Doesn't always work, but would get rid of flavor if it bothered you.

i'd have to get some grain alcohol but sounds like an idea.
if i had some i'd try it right now

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
Citric acid does wonders.
I used to do this to give new life to my nautilus coils and take out any strong flavors. May use it for tanks also.
Boil water
dump coils in
add spoonful of citric acid. This produces bubbles (like baking soda). Gunk dissolves in a couple of minutes and water changes color to light brown. Unlike soda or alcohol, CA is easy to wash off and there is no left over taste or scent. It is a juice additive after all so no worry if any is left over. And easily available in most supermarkets.
Rinse with hot water then cool water.
leave to dry. I even used to blow the excess water and put it to use right away. First 4/5 puffs are water vapor but all good after that.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Outside of just vaping a new flavour through the old, which depending on flavours can have different results, I have tried grain alcohol, diluted isopropyl alcohol, boiling in water, water bath and even pressurized steam. The 2 alcohol methods still require a water bath to get rid of any residual alcohol. Unless you enjoy a little vodka with your vape. Pressurized steam was the quickest, but the end result was no different than all other methods.

If you take an ejuice saturated wick, and drop in a glass of water, within minutes the ejuice within the wick will separate and drop to the bottom of the glass. Ejuice within a coil head is no different. Welcome to try the methods above or others that have been recommended, but if your goal is to rid the wick of flavour, which is difficult for some flavours, a 10 minute bath in warm water is all that is needed. Personally, I prefer to save my alcohol for cocktail hour. And guess what time it is :D

Subjective, and a bit long, but this YouTuber found no difference between water and vodka bath.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread