Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
when wrapping coils, do your coils have to be touching each other?
what is the difference in a tight wrap and a looser one??

trying to get my rebuilds to work, but i get a lot of hot popping juice in my mouth.
want to figure out what i'm doing wrong.

do you wrap a protank coil different than a rda coil??

thanks in advance.

Nataani

Moved On
Nov 28, 2013
Chicago, IL

No they dont, they just need to be evenly spaced. So if you space your wraps, make sure that all are the same distance apart. When you do a contact coil the same applies except the distance between them all is zero.

I am not quite sure what you mean by this. You want all of your coils to be the same diameter. Wrapping very tightly around the drill bit or screwdriver is a good way to ensure that this happens.

If your talking about the actual internal diameter of the coil, then it varies depending on the application. For most RDA specific builds I use a 1/8th inch screwdriver to wrap on. For Kayfuns or protank coils I wrap at 1/16th

I always do micro coils for protanks. With RDAs I do whatever I feel like.

My favored protank build:
1.8 ohm coil
30 awg kanthal A1
1/16th inch internal diameter
8 wrap contact coil
1 strand of peaches n cream cotton yarn through the center
No flavor wicks

trying to get my rebuilds to work, but i get a lot of hot popping juice in my mouth.

This could simply be because your over saturating your coils. Too much juice on your wicks will end up with that result. Otherwise it could be due to a hot spot, but it is much more likely the former reason.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

thanks in advance.

1:
Do the coils have to be touching: No.

2:
Difference in a tight wrap and a loose one:
If you use big guage wire you need to try to wrap more wire in a tight space in order to get high enough resistance, therefore the wraps end up tighter.

3:
Do you wrap a protank coil different than a rda coil?
Its all about available SPACE; you got a whole lot more room on a true rebuildable; you can use big guage wire and you got enough room you can add another coil easily.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Ok I've been playing with 28 and 30 gauge. I've had better luck with the rda builds. Pro tank seems to be kicking my .... with the popping. So maybe I'm not using enough cotton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What ohms are you getting and what voltage/wattage are you using? The lower the power the less popping you should get.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
I've been building 1.8 vaping around 3.7 volts that's the pro tank coils. Been making the coils as close as possible but am thinking I might need to space them a little bit.

I think they work better close; plus less likely to short on the side; a couple of my coils short out sometimes to like 0.9ohm and I just slap the tank around a bit and it gets back to normal.

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
I've been building 1.8 vaping around 3.7 volts that's the pro tank coils. Been making the coils as close as possible but am thinking I might need to space them a little bit.

I would recommend lowering those volts. 1.8Ω coil, around 3.3 volts in a Protank.

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas

thanks in advance.

I like 'em tight!! Downright beautiful when you test fire them. Glow should start in the middle and radiate outward. Here's a nice tight one, 30 ga., I think. Click on pic to enlarge.

0_10wrap.jpg

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
i like mine tight...

beckdg-albums-protank-musings-picture289798-12-wraps-28-ga-kanthal-1-8-kanger-head-coil.jpg

285493-protank-microcoil-discussion-gpafybz.jpg

though, a good performing coil doesn't have to be.

if you're getting popping juice on your protank, your air flow might be restricted.

if you're interested in contact coils, you should check out the coiling jig... http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clearomizers/510520-coils-made-easy.html

though, you'll have to find what works for you when installing them in the protank heads. they're tough little buggers to work with compared to your traditional rebuildables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread