Not open for further replies.

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
Was the old coil the same resistance of the new? I ask because, if they are the same then your settings should have been fine. If different, then you may have toasted the old, using the same settings as the newer one. Other than that, my only experience with the beasts has been dismal as far as coil life goes.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

VillageVaporCo

Dec 20, 2017
I agree with "OlderNDirt", most people don't know or are never told how to properly break in a new coil- it makes a world of difference. And this is where a good B&M shop would be good for the help because online ordering their is rarely anyone to ask questions to. Start your wattage on the minimum suggested wattage for that specific coil (should be written on box and on most coils these days and bring your wattage up slowly about 5 watts at a time over the next 20 -30 min. Also pre-saturation of your new coil is very important. Start with pre saturating the center and just apply a few drops directly on the cotton. Its more important to saturate the center where the coil comes in contact with the wicking material then worrying about the outside holes of the coil because by time you screw it in and fill the tank they outside will immediately get saturated. After a few attempts of pre-saturation on new coils you will know exactly how much it takes and when is enough before you over saturate your new coil. If it is a little gurgly from oversaturation now worries it will vape off quickly. Proper new coil preparation will give you a much better coil life then not.
Hope this helps some one

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
I wish I could buy stock in posts of Smok coils going bad. But I digress. Could be a lot of new folks buy them. They sure sell a lot. As per above priming and breaking in are essential skills. The only way to ensure you are getting a good coil is to build it yourself. Ok, to be polite and politically correct I should add IMHO. Yes, not everybody wants to be bothered with the task. But if you want serious clouds or serious flavor, DIY is the way to go. Two skills to consider if you want an incredible vaping experience are building your own coils and your own juices. Like the difference between a folding chair and a lazy boy.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Considering op "got a new coil for his Alien" and he/she thinks "there is a slight burnt taste to it" with no confirmation that it actually is a Smok tank, where/how the new coil was obtained, if it was properly primed, or at what wattage they are trying to hit it, it seems a bit early to add this as another "all Smok coils are bad" proclamation! IMHO, this is just one of many "Smok coil problem posts" that fall into one of two categories..... user error or OP never returns with information or follow-up that leads to a conclusion.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I agree with "OlderNDirt", most people don't know or are never told how to properly break in a new coil- it makes a world of difference. And this is where a good B&M shop would be good for the help because online ordering their is rarely anyone to ask questions to. Start your wattage on the minimum suggested wattage for that specific coil (should be written on box and on most coils these days and bring your wattage up slowly about 5 watts at a time over the next 20 -30 min. Also pre-saturation of your new coil is very important. Start with pre saturating the center and just apply a few drops directly on the cotton. Its more important to saturate the center where the coil comes in contact with the wicking material then worrying about the outside holes of the coil because by time you screw it in and fill the tank they outside will immediately get saturated. After a few attempts of pre-saturation on new coils you will know exactly how much it takes and when is enough before you over saturate your new coil. If it is a little gurgly from oversaturation now worries it will vape off quickly. Proper new coil preparation will give you a much better coil life then not.
Hope this helps some one

Thanks for the info. I knew about the priming but not starting the wattage of low then slowly increasing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread