Coil Diameter vs. # Wraps - How does it affect vape/taste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjpeltz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2014
United States
Fairly new at rebuilding my own coils. Just got a Infinite Magma this week and have had some success with building single coils for it (I haven't tried building a sub-ohm coil just yet). As I was playing with the Vape Toolbox app, I noticed one can achieve the same target Ohm by varying the coil diameter, # of wraps, as well as whether single or dual coil. As an example, to get 1.2 ohm with a 28 gauge, I could do:

Single 3 mm diameter coil with 5/4 wrap
Single 2 mm diameter coil with 6/5 wrap
Dual 3 mm diameter coil with 10/9 wrap
etc.

I went with the first combination and it wasn't bad. But was curious to hear from the experts how diameter and wraps affect the vape and the taste. Will large diameter coils produce more or less vape / more or less juice? Same question on # of wraps -- is it better to reduce the # of wraps or have more? I went with fewer wraps only because I could improve the consistency of the coil spacing with fewer wraps. But, should I be aiming for more wraps and smaller diameter for better taste?

I know some of you will tell me to just try out all combinations -- which I will end up doing - but was looking for any advice on this.

THANKS!!

Slips

Nov 7, 2014
Bay Area
I think part of the equation that matters to me when deciding how or what to build is not addressed in your post. Airflow, where its coming from and how much. With your magma, do you like a tight draw or open? Wicking material can also play a part in the decision process, i.e. small id coil with lots of heat and little airflow would need silica or something that wont burn, bigger coil with same airflow may hold enough juice to keep cotton below combustion/scorch point. My personal sweet spot for the magma is dual, .4ohm (so two .8 ohm coils), twisted 28/32, 7/6 wraps, very slightly spaced, 2.4mm id, cellucotton pulled somewhat tight, tails that barely hit the deck, airflow set to middle.*if memory serves correctly.
For me this all part of the fun/challenge of the build. Putting together all the right vaiables to hit that sweet spot.

Maybe say what your aiming for in your vape experience and someone could guide you there, then tweek the design as you learn more about your atty and prefences?

Hope it helps.

erosmaximus

Nov 10, 2014
Xanadu
Fairly new at rebuilding my own coils. Just got a Infinite Magma this week and have had some success with building single coils for it (I haven't tried building a sub-ohm coil just yet). As I was playing with the Vape Toolbox app, I noticed one can achieve the same target Ohm by varying the coil diameter, # of wraps, as well as whether single or dual coil. As an example, to get 1.2 ohm with a 28 gauge, I could do:

Single 3 mm diameter coil with 5/4 wrap
Single 2 mm diameter coil with 6/5 wrap
Dual 3 mm diameter coil with 10/9 wrap
etc.

I went with the first combination and it wasn't bad. But was curious to hear from the experts how diameter and wraps affect the vape and the taste. Will large diameter coils produce more or less vape / more or less juice? Same question on # of wraps -- is it better to reduce the # of wraps or have more? I went with fewer wraps only because I could improve the consistency of the coil spacing with fewer wraps. But, should I be aiming for more wraps and smaller diameter for better taste?

I know some of you will tell me to just try out all combinations -- which I will end up doing - but was looking for any advice on this.

THANKS!!
One of the most important questions to be asked and discussed by any serious coil builder including myself and yet ,unfortunately , it seems that not too many people seems to be interested in those areas...Even the veterans have no opinion on the subject. Quite weird...If you can find anything my friend please share....

msmith4512

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
New York, NY
Fantastic post from rusirius that goes in depth into coil and power issues.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ughts-about-sub-ohm-latest-vv-vw-devices.html

Short answer is that more wraps gives more vapor and thinner wire hearts up faster. But more wraps and thinner wire give higher resistance which means less watts on unregulated devices. So it seems very popular for people to use thicker wire and fewer wraps to get lower resistance (sub-ohm) for more watts and vapor from their unregulated batteries in mechanical mods. But with the newer higher power regulated devices, you can get the best of both worlds. You can build lots or wraps on thinner wire and use the device regulation to push up the wattage. I like 10-12 wraps on 28G or 30G wire. I go single coil when possible, but often go dual because so many RDAs are designed to work better in dual coil - e.g. inability to shut off second airflow hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread