The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Coil making....

Discussion in 'VIP - Vaping in Phoenix' started by Pork Dragon, Nov 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Pork Dragon

Pork Dragon Full Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Surprise, AZ
    So, I was out in my garage cleaning up my tools and I found some 24 gauge galvanized steel wire and the thought occurred to me "I wonder if I could make a coil out of this." Here's my question, would it be possible to do this, or even safe for that matter?

2. IMFire3605

IMFire3605 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 3, 2013
    Blue Rapids, KS, US
    Galvinized wire?? Heck no way in **** would I vape anything with Zinc coating, you'd get Zinc overdosages.

3. sakis7

sakis7 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Better leave it alone.

4. PLEASE DON'T DO IT !!!!

I am a Certified Welder and the one thing they beat us over the head (in some case literally) about while I was in school was YOU DON'T WELD OR EVEN HEAT GALVANIZED METALS. (Yes, with proper precautions and respiratory safeguards, completely doable... BUT....)

More info here: Metal fume fever - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Pork Dragon

Pork Dragon Full Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Surprise, AZ
    alright then...thanks for the info and for keeping me from being poisoned :)

6. Pork Dragon

Pork Dragon Full Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Surprise, AZ
    What about annealed steel wire?

7. As long as it is clean and free of oil and other residue, it "SHOULD" work, but, not as well as a purpose designed "resistance" wire. Can I ask why you are trying annealed steel instead of the commercial alternatives? I'm just curious if it is a "gee, I'll never use this for anything else....hmmmmm....I wonder..." That kind of thinking got me in trouble when I was younger and dumber...A LOT!!!

"Annealing" is the process of heating metal to a "critical temperature" and then slow cooling to improve the ability of the metal to be "worked"... Pretty much the exact opposite of "heat treating" to make a metal harder. We've all seen a blacksmith heat something red-hot then drop it into water ("quenching") - that "freezes" the granular structure of the metal into a almost crystalline structure at the atomic level. Annealing lines up the granular forms but they are not locked in place...so they are easier to move around without shattering the overall bonding structure. A starched and ironed dress shirt vs a rumpled, worn for 3 days shirt = heat-treated vs annealed.

8. Pork Dragon

Pork Dragon Full Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Surprise, AZ
    yeah that's pretty much the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.