• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Coil making....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found some 24 gauge galvanized steel wire and the thought occurred to me "I wonder if I could make a coil out of this." Here's my question, would it be possible to do this, or even safe for that matter?

PLEASE DON'T DO IT !!!!

I am a Certified Welder and the one thing they beat us over the head (in some case literally) about while I was in school was YOU DON'T WELD OR EVEN HEAT GALVANIZED METALS. (Yes, with proper precautions and respiratory safeguards, completely doable... BUT....)

More info here: Metal fume fever - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What about annealed steel wire?

As long as it is clean and free of oil and other residue, it "SHOULD" work, but, not as well as a purpose designed "resistance" wire. Can I ask why you are trying annealed steel instead of the commercial alternatives? I'm just curious if it is a "gee, I'll never use this for anything else....hmmmmm....I wonder..." That kind of thinking got me in trouble when I was younger and dumber...A LOT!!!

"Annealing" is the process of heating metal to a "critical temperature" and then slow cooling to improve the ability of the metal to be "worked"... Pretty much the exact opposite of "heat treating" to make a metal harder. We've all seen a blacksmith heat something red-hot then drop it into water ("quenching") - that "freezes" the granular structure of the metal into a almost crystalline structure at the atomic level. Annealing lines up the granular forms but they are not locked in place...so they are easier to move around without shattering the overall bonding structure. A starched and ironed dress shirt vs a rumpled, worn for 3 days shirt = heat-treated vs annealed.

As long as it is clean and free of oil and other residue, it "SHOULD" work, but, not as well as a purpose designed "resistance" wire. Can I ask why you are trying annealed steel instead of the commercial alternatives? I'm just curious if it is a "gee, I'll never use this for anything else....hmmmmm....I wonder..." That kind of thinking got me in trouble when I was younger and dumber...A LOT!!!

yeah that's pretty much the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread