Coil Master Tester drained a battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
This is the 521 mini V2 that will meter or fire a coil. There's a 3-way switch, with off in the middle.
I was sure that it was turned off, but in handling the kit bag, the switch must have been pushed and turned on. Even with no atty on the tester, it completely drained an 18650 battery.

This was confirmed on a multi-meter. 0 volts.
I know that this battery is done, but it's interesting that my charger completely ignored it.

Based on this, I'd recommend not storing the tester with a battery in it. It probably already says that in the instructions. Maybe there's one person out there that didn't know this already, so here it is.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I'm debating what to do with the dead battery. Just put it in the trash like most people would, or make phone calls and check websites to find a place that accepts them for recycling?

I just warp electrical tape around it to cover the contacts and drop it into one of those bins at home depot or lowes.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    This is the 521 mini V2 that will meter or fire a coil. There's a 3-way switch, with off in the middle.
    I was sure that it was turned off, but in handling the kit bag, the switch must have been pushed and turned on. Even with no atty on the tester, it completely drained an 18650 battery.

This was confirmed on a multi-meter. 0 volts.
    I know that this battery is done, but it's interesting that my charger completely ignored it.

Based on this, I'd recommend not storing the tester with a battery in it. It probably already says that in the instructions. Maybe there's one person out there that didn't know this already, so here it is.

Well those battery testers don't ever go to sleep - on is on forever until you shut it off, like a flashlight. This will drain your battery faster than a mod which goes to sleep (at least all mine do). Unless you have a Yihi which will still drain a battery pretty good even when sleeping.

• Informative
    Reactions: Ed Brown

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Our local Lowes and Staples stopped taking them during the pandemic. Hopefully they've opened that back up again.

Well since it's reading 0 volts, it vented and the diaphragm inside tripped so it's an open circuit now. So IMHO it's not a danger. Just keep it until you can find a a place to drop it off.

There is a way to get it operational again, I have done it, but it's not safe to do it or to use the battery anymore. Just wait for the recycling boxes to be put in place again.

Reactions: Ed Brown
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread