Coil Master

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyspaere

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2014
Wisconsin
I'm not an experienced builder. I was pretty staunch about my nautilus' until I started doing the math on my coil expenditures - and decided I needed an rta or two.

This just showed up today (from RBASupplies.com - I guess they're out of stock for a minute), & I'm pretty ecstatic. All the subtleties of wrapping around a screwdriver: gone.

My first few coils were crap. Then, I noticed I was putting too much pressure on the "coiling" end of the jig. Let the thing the work itself...

30 gauge A-1 kanthal
4a3e35d4372a158e8b8c8a3d773a40c3.jpg

Goggling at world from my iPhone

Last edited:

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
Thats an awesome looking coil! Ive thought about getting one of these. I still wrap on a micro screwdriver.

I didnt want to get a wire gizmo thing or the coil jig because there's a lot of wasted wire on the side that is captured by the nut. I know kanthal is cheap but it's an OCD thing. That inch or two of wire that is wasted adds up through the life of the spool.

Sent from my Atari 2600 using Tapatalk

ebriel

Verified Member
Nov 8, 2013
Peoria, AZ
Beautiful new coil!

What's the ohm? What mod are RDA are you going to be using?

I would love to know this as well! Also, what gauge wire are you using?

I wrap on a 3/32 drill bit for my Kayfun, and I've figured out exactly what wrap is equal to in ohms using 30 gauge kanthal (.3 ohms/wrap). So if I want a 1.5ohm coil, I give it 5 wraps, etc. Looks interesting, but I am terrible at converting inches to mm (which is weird, because I'm pretty good with math).

Last edited:

lyspaere

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2014
Wisconsin
Not a simple solution topic. Moved to New Members

Newb to forums. Seemed like a Simple Solution to me haha

What's the ohm? What mod are RDA are you going to be using?

I don't know the resistance of that specific coil - I was just trying to get the hang of using the jig. I have a dual-coil 28-gauge 6 wrap right now in my Aqua v2 at 0.5 Ω, on my Sigelei 150w.

www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp is a great resource.

I didnt want to get a wire gizmo thing or the coil jig because there's a lot of wasted wire on the side that is captured by the nut. I know kanthal is cheap but it's an OCD thing. That inch or two of wire that is wasted adds up through the life of the spool.

That's true. I can't argue your logic. I guess I'm willing to throw the $0.25 (pulling a guesstimated # from the netherworld) worth of wire per spool. *shrug*

coil master work great, but KuroConcept has a better quality material.. more heavy!

I wouldn't necessarily say "better" quality. Maybe it feels like it has "tougher" material, or something similar. "Better" is a purely subjective term. This jig has 5 sizes in one kit.

Not an argument I feel compelled to step up to the plate for, either way.

Is there a way to wrap the wire with slight spacing so that each wrap doesn't touch each other?l

I'd imagine, but it would mean finagling how you use the jig. I've wondered myself, but not been curious enough to actually try.

Goggling at world from my iPhone

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I there a way to wrap the wire with slight spacing so thst each wrap doesn't touch eachother?

-Rachel

I don't have mine yet, but you could try doing a wrap with a piece of kanthal/nichrome, and a piece of twine (I have a dense hemp twine that might be ideal for this). Wrap it as if you were wrapping a "parallel" coil, then pull out the twine.

I have no idea if this would really work, though......

Hafaza

Verified Member
Jan 23, 2015
WA State, USA
Using 32g Round Kanthal, I am unable to make a coil on this jig. It could be user error and I may still learn the trick, but winding on a screwdriver so far is 10 times easier. There are a few reasons for this I can identify.

1) The height of the set screw used as a stop is multiple times larger then the diameter of the wire. Here pictured with a 32g twisted pair.
Width.jpg

2) The holes provide on the winding section are identical. One of them is supposed to be counter sunk to solve issue 1 above I think.
NoCounterSink.jpg

3) The finishing on the exit hole for the wire feed is poor, resulting in an uneven surface. The stop screw has to jump over this thereby causing more issues for thin wire.
UnfinishedSurface.jpg

Unless someone can enlighten me, so far a waste of $20.

Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread