Coil materials and "dry burning"

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I have only used Kanthal and Nichrome wire and always "dry burn" after a build (and also when doing a new wick) I've head you should not do this with stainless steel... is this true? The first dry burn helps me estimate how many watts to use when vaping (and when doing a re-wick, it cleans the coil) I would not like the idea of not having this option. BTW, I don't use Nickel or Titanium but still welcome comments about those.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I have only used Kanthal and Nichrome wire and always "dry burn" after a build (and also when doing a new wick) I've head you should not do this with stainless steel... is this true? The first dry burn helps me estimate how many watts to use when vaping (and when doing a re-wick, it cleans the coil) I would not like the idea of not having this option. BTW, I don't use Nickel or Titanium but still welcome comments about those.
The only difference with ss coils is you dry burn at a lower wattage. You just want a dull red glow, not bright red or white. I primarily use ss tri core fc and dry burn at 14w, just pulsing gently. AVS, Advanced Vape Supply, has a good tutorial on their website how to care for ss wire.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

No, you can dry burn SS at low wattages just the same as kanthal and ni80.

Advanced Vape Supply have put out a tutorial videos on it:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    The only difference with ss coils is you dry burn at a lower wattage. You just want a dull red glow, not bright red or white. I primarily use ss tri core fc and dry burn at 14w, just pulsing gently. AVS, Advanced Vape Supply, has a good tutorial on their website how to care for ss wire.

Snap ;)

• Love
    Reactions: Letitia
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread