Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
wrap a wire around a pencil with the leads coming off in the same direction look at one side of the coil it will look like 5 wraps, look at the other side it will look like 4 (or 6). it is an easy way to make sure you accurately explain what you did. otherwise its - so you wrapped 5 is that 4/5 or 5/6?

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States

I've been rebuilding for a few months and didn't know this. Thanks bro and thanks OP for bringing it up.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
According to ZEN, there's no such thing as a 4/5 or 3/4. It's either a 3 wrap or a 4 wrap. I like his thinking on this.

but if its a 3 wrap do you count the half wrap at the top and bottom of the coil as a wrap? Just being argumentative. I think both ways make since just depends on how you look at it;-) (literally)

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
According to ZEN, there's no such thing as a 4/5 or 3/4. It's either a 3 wrap or a 4 wrap. I like his thinking on this.

in respect to things like inductance and thermodynamics he is correct. but clearly we can see it when we look at it. (he also said the Zatty is perfect)

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Just some more terminology to make it confusing we have to many IT guys among us mucking up our language ;-)

lol.

But ,well, no. If it were IT guys you'd either have a long acronym for it as an accepted thing -or- you'd have to do a 6 month study with cost/benefit analysis....

-However-
Warning...:2c: ahead.

One complete circle of wire would have the leads pointing in opposite directions. Thus, we can assume that since the leads in that reference above point in the same direction, it ends in a 1/2 loop.

So a 4/5 wrap should have been called a 4.5 wrap. And a 5/6 wrap called a 5.5 wrap. Would have been easy. And it would have told us if they had coils that didn't have their leads in the same direction (a 4 wrap or a 5 wrap). So all leads in same direction end in .5. All opposite direction are whole #'s. Alas, we fudged it.

Last edited:

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Best thing you can say to a moderator you are right and it will not happen again and follow threw;-) If you want to stick around that is.

I was just being silly with the IT comment I think 3/4 or 4/5 describes it pretty well while it may not technically a full wrap it has 3 wraps on one side and 4 on the other, I think most anybody whos ever built a coil get this explanation.

If we went buy how much of a coil the first wrap and last wrap were it could be anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 depending on placement of post witch side you started the wrap it would be total confusion every time some one built a coil wed spend 20 post asking questions to figure out how many wraps they used.
So 3/4 and 4/5 may not be entirely correct its a explanation a Iron worker can get his mind around so its a simplification the works;-)

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Best thing you can say to a moderator you are right and it will not happen again and follow threw;-) If you want to stick around that is.

I was just being silly with the IT comment I think 3/4 or 4/5 describes it pretty well while it may not technically a full wrap it has 3 wraps on one side and 4 on the other, I think most anybody whos ever built a coil get this explanation.

If we went buy how much of a coil the first wrap and last wrap were it could be anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 depending on placement of post witch side you started the wrap it would be total confusion every time some one built a coil wed spend 20 post asking questions to figure out how many wraps they used.
So 3/4 and 4/5 may not be entirely correct its a explanation a Iron worker can get his mind around so its a simplification the works;-)

To be clear...the fractional thing works for me just fine too. I was more or less playing off the IT thing and coming up with another way....I don't care how we do it as long as it works. But FYI it's only the last wrap that's a fraction...so it's completely descriptive. But totally irrelevant since I was teasing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread