Resistance question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting very confused with my coil builds at the minute? I'm looking for a .3 or .4 ohm build and am using 24g kanthal.
Iv done 6 wraps dual coil and it comes out to .2 ohm I have done 4 wraps and that was .16 ohm and I have also done 5 wraps that came out to .25 ohm?
What is going wrong is it the more wraps you do the higher the resistance is? Please answer I'm desperate?

invisiblehand13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2014
Woodville, WI
Um...yes, you need MORE wire to acheive higher resistance in the wire, also if you are doing dual coils with how resistance works it will be cut in half so...if you are building dual coils that you want to come out to a .4 resistance than you need to build two single coils that come out to a .8 each

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I am getting very confused with my coil builds at the minute? I'm looking for a .3 or .4 ohm build and am using 24g kanthal.
Iv done 6 wraps dual coil and it comes out to .2 ohm I have done 4 wraps and that was .16 ohm and I have also done 5 wraps that came out to .25 ohm?
What is going wrong is it the more wraps you do the higher the resistance is? Please answer I'm desperate?

You got some good answers already here.

You seem pretty new to this stuff. I assume you're using mechanical mods, correct? You always need to be using the correct batteries for your application, but with mechanical mods it's more important. The lower your resistance the more amps you draw from the battery. If you draw more than the battery can handle it will heat up and if it gets too hot it will vent which can sometimes get nasty.

If you already know all this, then you're good to go. If not, here are some links that will help you learn about it all; One Stop Reference Shop For New and Experienced Vapers. Read all the stuff on batteries and Ohm's law first. With mechanical mods that's the most important safety information.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
All great answer here and I also would suggest reading what is suggested here. I would like to
RA-YellowroseMouse207-welcome.gif
to ecf. Nice to meet you and glad you are here. Glad we all have a reliable place to find information that will help us. I know I have learned so much here. Good luck to you.

Nytebreed

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2010
Boston, MA USA
Also, the inner diameter of your coils matter. The outer diameter of the object you are wrapping around will be your answer here. You want an 1/8" ID on your coils for 6 wraps to be ~.4ohms, dual coil, with Kanthal.
Also make sure you are using actual Kanthal wire and not something like G-Plat. Different wires have different resistance properties.

[EDIT] Also make sure you are counting full 360degree wraps. This is why sometimes you'll see a description of 6/7 wraps (full/counting 1/2 wraps on ends)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread