Coils gunk up... why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan diy

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2017
Hi all..
I've got a friend with a penguin atty from joyetech with a 0.25 coil. However it burns up with the juice I gave him... He is using a 60vg 40pg 20%flavoring ejuice not steeped . Good quality ingredients (I make it) does any one have please any idea why that is happening?
Would appreciate highly any knowledge ..
Thank you.

Reactions: NatashaTMT

Ethan diy

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2017
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Merged duplicate threads

Nate5700

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2014
Jenks, OK, USA
I think like any juice it depends on the flavors used, sweeteners, PG/VG ratio, and all that. The apple liquid I made, a coil lasts a week or more. I got maybe three days on the coil I was vaping my tobacco mixes with, one of which had a little FW Dark Chocolate in it which wouldn't surprise me if that's a coil gunker. What's the flavor profile of the juice like?

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I'm almost positive that gunk comes from flavoring. I can only be almost because I only use VG outside of flavoring and my unflavored doesn't gunk so I'm left to believe it when others say their PG doesn't gunk.
20% is a lot of flavoring.
Beyond that it depends on what the flavors are.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Too much power, not enough airflow, too much Vg to wick properly, too high % flavorings, sweeteners, taking a few vapes on an empty or near empty pod will burn the wicking material.

The .25Ω is designed for DTL inhale.

20% flavorings is more than double the amount of flavoring of any liquid I've ever vaped.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Yes 20% is a very large amount of flavoring, more isn't always better with flavor and can even make it taste worse than less flavor. Some flavors are just gunkers and nothing you can do about it other than change the coil.

I mix generally around 10% or less flavor and most don't gunk up coils. There are exceptions to that, I like Gold Ducat and that will gunk fast even at around 3%. But worth it for the flavor.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Yes 20% is a very large amount of flavoring, more isn't always better with flavor and can even make it taste worse than less flavor. Some flavors are just gunkers and nothing you can do about it other than change the coil.

I mix generally around 10% or less flavor and most don't gunk up coils. There are exceptions to that, I like Gold Ducat and that will gunk fast even at around 3%. But worth it for the flavor.

I'm getting into chocolates. I figure they will all be coil killers. I've decided it's worth it since I make coils it's cheap to replace and rewick.
When my mesh atty shows up I may decide that's for non-gunking recipes since I won't have hundreds of yards of mesh material.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
Ethan, I started out only a few months ago way over flavoring, under the assumption that more flavoring equals more flavor. I was wrong and no matter what anyone told me, I had to see for myself. Flavor percentages can be tricky. While some recipes can come out quite tasty with higher percentages, many are better lower. It really depends on the flavors and brands in which you’re mixing with. I was stubborn and didn’t want to try others recipes because I wanted to exclusively write my own. However, once I let that go and tried mixing others recipes, I learnt so much... Not only just the basics of writing good recipes but they also helped me determine my DIY likes and dislikes etc. Even if you don’t want to try others, I highly recommend you at least spend some time reading recipes... And not just the highly rated ones but the lower rated recipes also. Try to determine what went right or wrong, what do people like or dislike in the comments, etc. If your not a reader, watch videos. The more you understand concerning your new hobby, the better you’ll remember and grasp everyones advice, etc. :)

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@Ethan diy,
If you share the specific recipe in question, we might be able to spot the offending ingredient(s). Please be sure to include the correct/complete flavor name and manufacturer, as well as percentage and/or measurements (%, mL, mg, etc.). :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I've heard that the Dolphin can be a bit temperamental. Watch (with your friend) youtiube videos on the device, to make sure he is using it correctly.

At 20% flavoring, it could easily be the juice that is rather on the high side. Clear, less sweet juices often offer better coil life. . Maybe try a citrus or a tropical mix without too much sweetener (or any, even) and lower the percentage. This MAY help but only if the device is also being primed correctly and operated correctly. That can be harder with a pod mod with fixed wattage (although I'm not remembering if the dolphin has variable wattage). Make sure the device is being used as indicated though, if you don't have a good vape shop well watch a few youtube reviews on the device.

Hard to say what Exactly is gong on but for sure a 20% flavored and sweetened mix is likely not going to give coils a happy time-- and IN GENERAL not just with this device, although I'd say pod or AIO devices, that may be even more crucial.

Best of luck,

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
thx all i dilluted my friends flavors by half its great for him now and he loves them
this place is great hope i could give back what i get

It's always easier to add flavoring later than it is to dilute after the fact. If the seller says 10% I do 6% and work from there. Small 15ml batches are a good idea for a new juice. Once you get it right, you can push on to 50ml and be confident that you'll like it. I've always thought that vendor juices are over-flavored. They are obviously targeting the new vaper who just quit smoking and can't taste juice flavors well.

The 100 drop (5ml) method is good for testing new juices. One drop is 1% of the mix. You get to find out it's a coil killer without being stuck with a big bottle you probably won't vape. 100 drop recipes are about enough to fill a 4.5ml to 5ml atomizer one time. That's a solid test for whether you like it.

Using Bill's 100DT Taste Test Method | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm almost positive that gunk comes from flavoring. I can only be almost because I only use VG outside of flavoring and my unflavored doesn't gunk so I'm left to believe it when others say their PG doesn't gunk.
20% is a lot of flavoring.
Beyond that it depends on what the flavors are.

I agree. I vape 60pg and 70pg DIY mixes and there's just a little crud on the coil after a week when I change wicks. A warm water splash and a wipe with a finger takes it right off. If not, I dry burn lightly and dunk it again. If the coil is still rough after that, then I wrap a new one.

Most of what I vape is unflavored. When I want flavor I add a quarter of a tank of some flavored juice and fill the rest with 60pg or 70pg unflavored juice. On a rare occasion I'll actually vape a 10% flavored DIY mix straight.

The more you vape unflavored the less flavor you tend to like, at least in my case. I generally mix on the low side of recomended percentages. In my first year of vaping even vendor juices tasted really weak ... not anymore!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread