Status
Not open for further replies.

olefolks

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
Lewisville, TX, USA
Just twisted these up with the coil gizmo in about 5 minutes from set up to put away. 29 ga around a.055" rod :)

Y3m84ju.jpg

Ain't they Pretty. Got a short one there Russ!! Whats up?

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Ain't they Pretty. Got a short one there Russ!! Whats up?

I wrapped the three of those for the Odin - shorty to try a single and the long pair to try duals.

Ended up not liking the single and messing up the pair too. It was my first time attempting a dual coil build.

I got the second dual build right and enjoyed the tinkering aspect of it. Nice to have but no way would I want duals except just to mess around with. It's requires much more labor and patience than a trusty single :)

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
This may be "old news" for most of you reading this but I'll post this in case someone new to rebuilding sees this.

Here are a few links for you regarding building coils and getting the resistance just where you want it:
1. Steam Engine
2. Coil Toy Calculator

Make sure to check your build with an ohm reader or DMM before putting it on your mod and firing it.

The Steam Engine is much more than just a coil calculator. I consider it my "All in One" vaping calculator.:)

Joe13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I use this gizmo with the second-smallest included mandrel for PT and AeroTank micro coils. After winding, a 1/16" drill bit works perfectly to position the coil in the coil housing.

My Kayfuns wanted a larger diameter, but the next largest mandrel was too big.

I took a piece of wire coat hanger, removed the paint with some emory cloth, and bent it roughly to the shape of the included mandrels.

My Kayfuns are very happy now.

Last edited:

Yiorgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
So is guitar wire the last idea on using different sized rods to bend into shape for different diameters.?? . *Are there stainless steel rods anywhere for sale that we can bend into shape for the gizmo? Is guitar wire rigid enough to put tension on it, for coiling?

**And thank you Flavored!!! I thought I'd thank the originator...... I posted my own lil thread on the gizmo using the one sided rubber/steel washers to trap the wire with ease and never new who brought this to our to our world........ So thanks again it makes life so much easier I bought that stuuuuuuupid Puck coiler
5de7f1742e70e6cf17b1a1af1b2d7d4c.jpg
and never use it.. What a waste of $35..... I really need to start reading these threads before I post #1 but more importantly before I buy........ stupid stuff!!!

Last edited:

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
I bought one of the Gizmos at Michaels yesterday. They didn't have the diameter marked on them so I checked on Amazon and found this comment:

So, I measured them myself. My "Digital Thickness Gauge" seems inconsistent, so I used my SWG wire gauge (I don't have an AWG gauge). With it, they measured 18-gauge (1.22mm), 15-gauge (1.83mm), 10-gauge (3.25mm), 8-gauge (4.06mm) and 6-gauge (4.88mm). (For those of you who might have the Econo Winder, for comparison purposes, the crank rod sizes on mine are the same as the 1.2mm and 1.83mm rods on the Deluxe.) Of course, according to the Artistic Wire email, others might not have the same sizes

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
So is guitar wire the last idea on using different sized rods to bend into shape for different diameters.?? . *Are there stainless steel rods anywhere for sale that we can bend into shape for the gizmo? Is guitar wire rigid enough to put tension on it, for coiling?

**And thank you Flavored!!! I thought I'd thank the originator...... I posted my own lil thread on the gizmo using the one sided rubber/steel washers to trap the wire with ease and never new who brought this to our to our world........ So thanks again it makes life so much easier I bought that stuuuuuuupid Puck coiler and never use it.. What a waste of $35..... I really need to start reading these threads before I post #1 but more importantly before I buy........ stupid stuff!!!

Had I not already purchased one of those (I got it with a coupon several months back, I think it was a few dollars off) I would happily volunteer to care and feed your Micropuck. I find it quite useful, mostly because I can use drill bits of almost any diameter to wind a coil, not just the rods that came with it.

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA

**And thank you Flavored!!! I thought I'd thank the originator...... I posted my own lil thread on the gizmo using the one sided rubber/steel washers to trap the wire with ease and never new who brought this to our to our world........ So thanks again it makes life so much easier I bought that stuuuuuuupid Puck coiler
and never use it.. What a waste of $35..... I really need to start reading these threads before I post #1 but more importantly before I buy........ stupid stuff!!!

Artistic Wire has the mandrel sizes for each kit on their website. I use the second smallest of the clamp on kit, which is 1.5 mm, and the 2 mm from the bolt on kit.

Yiorgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Artistic Wire has the mandrel sizes for each kit on their website. I use the second smallest of the clamp on kit, which is 1.5 mm, and the 2 mm from the bolt on kit.
It's currently in my "to sell" bin......But as you'll see it has other potential uses....... So I feel as if I wasn't ripped off it because it really is machined well but the distance is waaay too short from where you trap the wire and make the coil (legs are too small) ....... Anyway I'd be more than willing to send this to you tomorrow for say $20......... I was way to eager to own this and paid close to $4:0 delivered...

This puck is heeeeeavy, it's solid aluminum and for our purposes..... no need to be THIS heavy. Buuuuuut , what I use it for.... its perrrrfect......

I ride Harleys (2003 low rider)
It fits perfectly in my pocket and if called upon can be used as an awesome lil projectile ..... I'll leave it at that. You take your life into your own hands everytime you drive the expressways around Chitcago ...... I haven't had to use it yet or it wouldn't be in my possession of course.
But more importantly if you have the gizmo why would you go backward and use this stupid thing ? You've even figured out how to get all the nessessary mandrels.

Last edited:

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
It fits perfectly in my pocket and if called upon can be used as an awesome lil projectile ..... I'll leave it at that.

Spark plugs and the hardened steel balls out of a large motor bearing work quite well.

At least I've heard they do... :D

Yiorgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois

FYI....... I know/no ☺ the difference between knew and new...... Ya no/know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread