Res-no res wire...help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingdal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2012
The Far Side
So i'm wrapping a microcoil with no res legs for a Diver. 12 wraps of 30g on a 1.6mm drill bit usually gets me to 2.2 ohms. Coil, use a wire welder to zap on 32g nickel legs, install, meter...0.5ohms??? Something screwy here. Check on provari, ohm meter and multimeter, all at 0.5 ohms. Double check that the wire really is 30g (it is). Chalk it up to some bad mojo and wrap a second one. Same everything, this time it comes out to 1 ohm. Wth is going on??? I notice too when i fire it that only the outer wraps light up real fast but the inner ones take a few seconds.

I try a third time, but this time, i check the resistance of the resistance coil before i put onl the nr wire. I install it on a rda, meter and its 2.1 ohms. Close enough. I zap the legs on and install again on the same rda. 1.6 ohms?? I fire the mod and observe the outer coils lighting up but the inner ones taking a very long time. I dont get it. Do nr wires cut down on the resistance? Or is it possible i'm using too much power zapping the legs on and its messing up the resistance of the Kanthal?

I'm not a noob with microcoils or res-no res wires. Done it enough times to have set up a working Diver multiple times, in addition to several protanks amd evods. First time i've seen anything like this.

i'm stumped. Would sure appreciate any suggestions.

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
So i'm wrapping a microcoil with no res legs for a Diver. 12 wraps of 30g on a 1.6mm drill bit usually gets me to 2.2 ohms. Coil, use a wire welder to zap on 32g nickel legs, install, meter...0.5ohms??? Something screwy here. Check on provari, ohm meter and multimeter, all at 0.5 ohms. Double check that the wire really is 30g (it is). Chalk it up to some bad mojo and wrap a second one. Same everything, this time it comes out to 1 ohm. Wth is going on??? I notice too when i fire it that only the outer wraps light up real fast but the inner ones take a few seconds.

I try a third time, but this time, i check the resistance of the resistance coil before i put onl the nr wire. I install it on a RDA, meter and its 2.1 ohms. Close enough. I zap the legs on and install again on the same RDA. 1.6 ohms?? I fire the mod and observe the outer coils lighting up but the inner ones taking a very long time. I dont get it. Do nr wires cut down on the resistance? Or is it possible i'm using too much power zapping the legs on and its messing up the resistance of the Kanthal?

I'm not a noob with microcoils or res-no res wires. Done it enough times to have set up a working Diver multiple times, in addition to several protanks amd evods. First time i've seen anything like this.

i'm stumped. Would sure appreciate any suggestions.

Interesting makes no sense. Do you have pictures? I'll take the 1.6ohm coil though! I still don't have a wire welder.

cghildreth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Central Texas
Sounds to me like you're having shorting issues across the coils. I've found that my resistance jumps around with a micro coil unless all of the coils are pressed neatly and tightly together. This seems very counter-intuitive to me, but it has repeated itself for me enough times...

This theory is also supported by parts of the coils other than the middle glowing hotter than others - this is a sure sign of shorts between coils on a micro coil. Heat the whole coil until its entirely glowing, then let off the power and quickly use a pair of tweezers/pliers/hemostats to squeeze the coils together. You may need to do this a couple of times. When the coil glows neatly from the center out, I'd be willing to bet ya $5 that your resistance issues vanish too.

kingdal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2012
The Far Side
Thanks for the response guys.

The coil itself is tightly wound and touching. After winding i squeezed them together with a pair of pliers and torched the whole thing, same as i usually do. The fact that the inner coils are taking a long time to light up makes me think that something is blocking the current so a short was the first thing that came to mind. I tried to look at the ends of the R legs but they were so short i couldnt quite see them. and the ceramic cup takes away the possibility of shorting to the device. I still think its shorting somewhere but i just cant seem to find or fix it.

One thing i did differently was that instead of attaching one leg of the res coil to the clip of the welder, i stuck the entire finished coil (wrapped but without the drill bit) on the clip instead. Saw it done on a video from igetcha69. After attaching the nr legs on this way, i metered the whole thing and viola...much lower resistance than expected. So its clear to me something in the act of using the welder is killing the resistance. Does anyone know if running a strong current directly on a coil changes its resistance properties in any way?

Yep this thing makes no sense to me. Sure wish i knew what was going on.

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
Sounds to me like you're having shorting issues across the coils. I've found that my resistance jumps around with a micro coil unless all of the coils are pressed neatly and tightly together. This seems very counter-intuitive to me, but it has repeated itself for me enough times...

This theory is also supported by parts of the coils other than the middle glowing hotter than others - this is a sure sign of shorts between coils on a micro coil. Heat the whole coil until its entirely glowing, then let off the power and quickly use a pair of tweezers/pliers/hemostats to squeeze the coils together. You may need to do this a couple of times. When the coil glows neatly from the center out, I'd be willing to bet ya $5 that your resistance issues vanish too.

I have a 30 gauge 10 wrap around a 1/16" drill bit micro coil that's not completely touching every turn in my Kayfun for over a month now and has always been 1.8 ohms and glows from the center out and works great!

Yes, I agree once the coil glows from the middle out all is good!

Thanks for the response guys.

The coil itself is tightly wound and touching. After winding i squeezed them together with a pair of pliers and torched the whole thing, same as i usually do. The fact that the inner coils are taking a long time to light up makes me think that something is blocking the current so a short was the first thing that came to mind. I tried to look at the ends of the R legs but they were so short i couldnt quite see them. and the ceramic cup takes away the possibility of shorting to the device. I still think its shorting somewhere but i just cant seem to find or fix it.

One thing i did differently was that instead of attaching one leg of the res coil to the clip of the welder, i stuck the entire finished coil (wrapped but without the drill bit) on the clip instead. Saw it done on a video from igetcha69. After attaching the nr legs on this way, i metered the whole thing and viola...much lower resistance than expected. So its clear to me something in the act of using the welder is killing the resistance. Does anyone know if running a strong current directly on a coil changes its resistance properties in any way?

Yep this thing makes no sense to me. Sure wish i knew what was going on.

Well yeah if you left the drill bit in when you zapped/welded it, then I think that may have cause this issue by fusing the coil together at some point/points! I could be wrong but you could take those coils and separate them just a bit then back together they should be fine also. Or just send them to me since I still don't have a wire welder yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread