Cold Temperature Battery Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoundedColt8

Aug 2, 2018
Hey all, just wondering if anyone can answer my question;
I ordered some VTC4's on Illumn and they've been shipped through USPS First Class. A lot of the time, USPS packages get exposed to the outside elements when sitting on the truck/sitting at a loading bay or whatever. It's currently 10 degrees F here, which probably won't change until 11-12pm when the sun is overhead. The USPS truck gets loaded with packages around now, which means my batteries will be sitting in temperatures in the 10 - 15 degree F range for probably a couple of hours.
Is the minimum temperature rating on batteries only apply to discharge or does it apply to regular storage? I've heard that batteries should not get below -10C (14F.) Will there be any noticeable permanent effect if I let them come up to room temp before charging? Thank you :)

Reactions: stols001

RoundedColt8

Aug 2, 2018
This should not be a problem. Li-ion cells do not mind being stored at low temperatures. Definitely let them come up to room temperature before charging them though.
Awesome, this is the answer I was hoping to get. As for the charging, I did hear about the potential of lithium-metal plating when charging at very low temps so I definitely will let em warm up. Cheers :)

Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
As Rossum said, I'd let them warm to room temp before using them. Otherwise, the cold shouldn't be a problem.

Battery shelf life and battery storage recommendations
Lithium-Ion

The possible storage temperature range for Lithium-Ion batteries is is -20°C to 60°C but for prolonged storage period -20°C to 25°C is recommended and 15°C is ideal. Cells should be stored with a partial charge of between 30% and 50%. Although the cells can be stored fully discharged the cell voltage should not drop below 2.0 Volts per cell and cells should be topped up to prevent over-discharge. The maximum voltage should not exceed 4.1 Volts

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
They're fine, you can even freeze batteries you aren't going to use and it won't damage them, so I hear. In fact, it may extend their life slightly.

Plus think of all the battery packs in chainsaws and other type equipment that is stored in an unheated shed all winter in lots of places. Cold isn't bad, too hot probably may be, but I'm not exactly sure How Hot.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread