college classroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilCake

Aug 17, 2013
Missouri
This is the same thing I hear from my students about texting in class. "hey, I am being discrete and nobody notices" Well, people do and it is a distraction so I would ask you to not vape in my class. You can wait the hour or two just like I can ( if you can't , well, that is a whole other issue).
Not trying to be arguementative, but I fail to see any kind of distraction with stealth vaping. It would be the same thing as sticking the end of a pen in my mouth for a few seconds. Also thanks Plumes.91 very informative.

Debra_oh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Not trying to be arguementative, but I fail to see any kind of distraction with stealth vaping. It would be the same thing as sticking the end of a pen in my mouth for a few seconds. Also thanks Plumes.91 very informative.

I would say you are not as discrete as you believe and people would notice. The whole concept that you are doing something stealth implies that it should not be done. Really, if you can't go an hour without vaping you should deal with that not get upset because someone tells you no.

EvilCake

Aug 17, 2013
Missouri
By no means am I upset by my teacher banning pvs. Please read my other posts in this thread first.... Once AGAIN, this thread was started merely to better understand the rights professors have in a classroom and how restrictive they can be. From what I've gathered so far, it seems to mostly rely on the admins. And how much they back their employees.

Debra_oh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
It depends on the university. I can set my own rules regarding eating, drinking, vaping, phone use, and such in my classroom. I can't change any university policies. My classroom expectations do change depending on the class. As an example, for a one hour undergrad class I ask my students not to eat during class, for a 4 hour graduate class I am fine with food in the classroom.

I could not, nor would not tell a student how to dress unless they were bumping up against some university decency policy unless that was pertinent to the class. I teach some practicums so, at times, do need to talk with students about appropriate clothing when meeting with clients.

Last edited:

EvilCake

Aug 17, 2013
Missouri
I would say you are not as discrete as you believe and people would notice. The whole concept that you are doing something stealth implies that it should not be done.
False logic. Stealth vaping, for me is utilized in order to avoid unwanted attention or to not cause a distraction. Not because I feel that vaping in class is wrong. Also if someone is distracted by an act that is soundless, odorless, and can't be seen; then I view that as their problem. The same as if a conservative is distracted by purple hair or someone who wears a pro gay shirt. The distraction is only there because they have a problem with it, not because the act itself is disruptive.

Debra_oh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
You are free to see it any way you wish. It still comes down to my classroom, my rules (this is what you where asking, right?). That does not mean I would not engage my students in a discussion of the topic if it seemed appropriate and be open to modifying the rule, but, in general you would not vape in class. I doubt you could be so "stealth" that I would not notice.

EvilCake

Aug 17, 2013
Missouri
Unless you were actively trying to catch me, yes I could. But that besides the point. So you're saying that a teacher has the right to ban ANYTHING they want in a classroom? I.e. a previous poster said their professor banned guys from wearing hats. If he had gone to the administration would they have backed the professor? Once more for anyone who is just jumping to the end of the thread, I have never vaped in class, nor do I intend to( I'm too self conscious). I'm just am overly curious cat.

EvilCake

Aug 17, 2013
Missouri
Sleeping in class has never been allowed in any class I have taken. Why? It is distracting and disrespectful to the professor. Why would vaping be less so?

No disrespect to you, but how is vaping disrepectful to a teacher? You're still participating in class, and if you aren't then its not because vaping is requiring your full attention.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
No disrespect to you, but how is vaping disrepectful to a teacher? You're still participating in class, and if you aren't then its not because vaping is requiring your full attention.

Not sure how I would be able to take notes with a pv in my hand. Where I went to school, not paying attention in class was cause for removal from class- whether one may be sleeping or on a cell-phone. There were no e-cigs back then, but I'm sure they wouldn't have been allowed. It would be disruptive and distracting, which is disrespectful.

Debra_oh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
I never said a teacher has a right to ban ANYTHING. I have said that an instructor has the right to set policies that minimize distractions in the classroom. Those policies need to be reasonable. In some classes I might not let students use a laptop/tablet in others it may not be an issue, it all depends. A student always has the right to appeal a policy if they feel it is unfair. As I have said I would not tell students what they can wear unless that has an impact on course content, such as, in a class where students interact with the public.

If you are that sneaky that I, standing in the front of the room watching all my students, could not tell when you are vaping then go ahead and vape. Bet you get caught though.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
The purpose of my question was to find out if college teachers had the authority to ban something for no reason other than they didnt like it. I.e. stealth vaping- its silent odorless and vapor less. I have no problem if that is indeed the case. I'm simply the courious type.

Lets say you wanted to play hacky-sack in the classroom. Would the teacher have the authority to say "no", or do you think you have a right to hacky-sack and the teacher doesn't have any way to stop you? What if you wanted to play chess in biology class? What if you wanted to sleep through the class?

You have this idea that you have a right to do any damn fool thing you want, and you don't.

What I'm trying to say is that you should just try talking to the administration about your nicotine cravings. They will probably just tell you to ask to go to the bathroom to have a vape.

I think if he goes screaming to the campus admin about how he has a right to vape in class, the most likely result is that the school will set a campus wide "no vaping in class" rule just so they don't have to waste times with stupid crap like this.

If nobody could tell you were vaping, then you wouldn't have been told "Don't do that".

EvilCake

Aug 17, 2013
Missouri
Lol please read my posts silly. Don't get all upset and rant :p. I've never vaped in class nor do I think that I can " Do any damn fool thing" . My question simply pertains to discreet nondisruptive vaping. Also I'm not so immature that I would go screaming to the administration. This is a hypothetical thread discussing the restrictive rights of professors.

Haters gonna hate.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
I didn't say go to the administration with the motive of getting a OK to vaping in class. I said go to the administration and ask about your nicotine cravings in class. I'm sure they'd agree that vaping, the patch, or nicotine gum would be a good idea. & I'm sure that if the student let the admin know that vaping is their preferred choice for nicotine replacement therapy, the admin would agree that a bathroom break to vape would be within reasonable lines, without disrupting a class and without going through an entire class thinking about nothing but a hit of nicotine rather than focusing on his/her studies.

With that said, I don't think taking a hit or two off of one's eGo and blowing it into one's sweatshirt sleeve is going to disrupt a classroom and I'm sure you could do this with the teacher's back turned without anyone around you noticing. So, do it? There is no need to get the teacher or the administration involved if you already know that your not going to disrupt anybody. Does taking your sweatshirt off in class disrupt the class? Is taking your sweatshirt off in class banned? It sure looks like a whole lot more commotion than stealth vaping from an eGo into your sleeve. Would you go to the admin or teacher to ask if you could possibly take your sweatshirt off in the middle of class in the future? Furthermore, would you go to your admin or teacher and ask if you could take your medication in class? Nicotine is a stimulative that the human body can build a dependance to. That means once your addicted to nicotine, you need it to stimulate your central nervous system. If your feeling sluggish and irritable and you need nicotine to study at your full capacity, and if you know that taking a stealth hit from your eGo and blowing it into your sleeve would cause no more commotion to the classroom than taking a bottle of rittalyn out of your backpack, popping the cap, shaking a pill into your hand, and swallowing it, then DO it until your asked not to. Then is the time to have a mature conversation with your teacher about your nicotine dependance. If your teacher does not understand the severity of your nicotine dependance because your teacher is not a nicotine user/addict or your teacher is not as HEAVY a nicotine user or addict, THEN it is time to have a talk with her/him and/or the administration about bathroom breaks being a possible solution.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Anyone was free to get up and leave the classroom at any time in any college class I have ever taken- whether for a bathroom break or for some nicotine- even during exams. College wasn't high school, where one had to ask for a hall pass.

What would a dean say if someone came to him/her, said they are an alcoholic and asked for permission to drink beers in class?

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
If one of my students stealth vapes and no one notices, then it's a non issue. It's a little difficult to ban something that isn't noticeable. For me, it's come up when someone attempts to stealth vape, and it is noticeable. Then it's a distraction, and i'll ask them not to do it.

(when you watch a student giving a presentation almost lose his train of thought because another student vaper- using 75% VG -doesn't get that the "stealth" vapor exhaled into a cup clear plastic cup still fogs the cup and the remainder ascends gracefully to the ceiling in a beautiful curtain of fog, then you'll say to yourself "oh, that's a teensy bit distracting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread