Come to a conclusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

klobdob

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Des Moines, IA
I have also gotten sores in my mouth from vaping. At first I thought that I might be having some sort of reaction. I don't think that is it though. I noticed that I got mega sores after vaping a juice I had mixed up that contained lemon flavoring. I realized that it was probably the citrus. I switched to a different juice and the sores went away. I have had a couple of different juices do that. I think that some must just be more acidic than others. Just a thought.

DaShiVa

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2009
Texas
PEG. From my point of view.. Probably not the best idea. It is used commonly as a laxitive. And of course other things like skin cream, toothpaste. But it is still in a lot of study phase on what it really does to the human body. Tests have been done on guinea pigs and such. But I would be worried as it is used also as a binding agent. Which isn't a good thing. But it also mixes well with water. But still a little concern there. Oh and the allergy rate to PEG (from what I've seen in my business) Is a lot larger then with pg or vg.

Now with that said. I know where vg comes from. It is what us soapers call the "good stuff" that factories remove when they make soap. Its the best part. When you make soap you make it using Lye. When the lye reacts with the ingredients (other oils), you get a soup type mixture. If you mix it long enough you will get the "VG" to seperate. Which is then removed other things are added to the soap and its sold.
(there is more steps to it but I don't want to flood anyones mind..lol)

Oh sweet. I'm so glad to hear you are getting some vg in!! What a relief. I've been looking for a supplier all day. And could not settle on one that I even thought would be as awsome as you and Mark are.

**Note
So no one freaks out. The lye basically evaporates over time. There is no trace of it left in the soap or the VG. Soapers have to let the soap sit for days to months. Just an FYI.

Hmm. I want to know more. you have a site of your own where you give full details on soap making? Ever since I watched Fight club I've been mildly interested (but not enough to spend the time required to look up anything that ended up informative)

Allestaria

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
Las Cruces, NM
Hmm. I want to know more. you have a site of your own where you give full details on soap making? Ever since I watched Fight club I've been mildly interested (but not enough to spend the time required to look up anything that ended up informative)

Oh gosh no. I'm not great with wording things right. So I don't do instructions. Soap making is rather easy. But dangerous. The process itself is easy. But when you mess with a chemical like Lye. You have to be VERY careful. The fumes can kill. Lye itself can eat your skin off even destroy a counter top quickly.

It is the only true danger in soap making. You can't make soap without it. So think about that one before you even consider soap making.

Are you a cautious person? Will you ALWAYS take the proper measures to be safe even 5 years down the road? Do you have a safe storage place for lye? Do you have pets or kids that might get into it?

Lye is not like your normal draino. Your tummy can't be flushed out. Its a deadly product.

Patience is needed when messing with lye. It heats up to over 200 degree's when you add lye to the water. And you have to wait for it to cool to the proper temps before you can add it to the other oils.

Personally its easy. Scarey every batch. But rather easy. I have to worry about spilling lye. Splashing my face. Even raising the mixer to high and splashing again. The cats getting in the kitchen when I'm making it. Kids running through the house. Even at night they do wake up.

So think about that and if your still interested. Send me a pm and I can head you in the right directions.

Allestaria

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
Las Cruces, NM
The lye evaporates over time. Usually about 2-5 days you do what is called a tongue test. You basically take your tongue and well lick the soap. If you get a 'zap' then the lye is still active. At this point you do one of 2 things. Let it sit for another week and hope it goes away. Or do what is called rebatching. You remelt the soap to try and mix the lye better. In hopes that you can save it.

Soap has to sit from anywhere of 2 weeks to a few months. Depending on the formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread