Concerns about my new Riva .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferret

May 12, 2011
Arkansas
I just got my Riva 901 starter kit in the mail with a 30ml bottle 18mg nic E-juice (both of witch I bought from liberty flights). upon inspection of the box I had two immediate concerns. 1. the user manual that was promised never came so i'm not quite sure if i'm doing this right. B the LR atomizer was DOA. After charging one battery and assembling it based on what i saw on the internet, I added about 10 drops of juice to the cart and 2 to the atty directly. It delivered about 2 good hits and then 3 mediocre ones and then its just pathetic. My main concern is a cheap gas station e-cig i bought is producing twice as much vapour, has better TH and this thing is a 21st century P.O.S.

My main concern is that the battery to the riva is messed up, or i didn't apply the juice right somehow. does anyone know what my problem may be ?

dk2

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
cheers
First off the Riva should come with a USB charger I would charge it off a computer for 3 full hours make sure the computer is on. (I've never had really good experience with the wall chargers) secondly make sure the atomizer is wet a good 4-5 drops on the bridge of a new atomizer should suffice, if it comes with cartridges make sure your cart is soaked. The liquid should not be pooling at the top of the cart if the cart is filled correctly it should look kind of frosty at the top of the filler. Cartridges and cartomisers take a little bit for the liquid to soak in. If you find the cartridge or cart is too full dab it with a piece of paper towel till it looks frosty. Good luck, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Ferret

May 12, 2011
Arkansas
Liberty Flights has great customer service. Contact them via Email. I know the new kits don't come with manuals, but the manual is available on their website. Add some more juice to the cartridge and try again. You may have to raise the center terminal to get a good connection.

Thanks I only charged it for about an hour, I'll charge it longer and fill it as you recommended and get back to you all.

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
Can you feel the atomizer getting warm at all? If you take the cartridge out and press the button, do you hear any sizzling/crackling sound? It sounds like you may not be getting a good connection. You may also want to blow the atty out and start over. Sometimes it does take up to 5 drops to get an atomizer functioning initially.

In any event, your experience with the Riva is unusual.

Ferret

May 12, 2011
Arkansas
Can you feel the atomizer getting warm at all? If you take the cartridge out and press the button, do you hear any sizzling/crackling sound? It sounds like you may not be getting a good connection. You may also want to blow the atty out and start over. Sometimes it does take up to 5 drops to get an atomizer functioning initially.

In any event, your experience with the Riva is unusual.

yes i hear the noise and when i look directly at the atty it turns red. the more i read the more i'm sure the product is functional and its just a ID10 T error on my part :p

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
And don't make your attys red - that is a good way to pop an atty.

And BTW - I think most people would agree that cartridge aka cart + atty is probably the most annoying way to vape. Sure that is how 3-piece ecigs arrive but most people end up preferring dripping (drip tip on atomizer) or using cartomizers. I don't know what cartos are popular for 901. I vape a Riva 510 and use Boge cartomizers.

Ferret

May 12, 2011
Arkansas
Wish I could help you but I'm terrible at using carts/atty. I either get no juice at all or a mouthful. Now I stick to cartomizers.

I'll probably invest in those soon, Honestly even having it work half ... makes me happy and having the liquid is a major boon to my wallet. A 5 ML bottle of E-liquid costs 10$ if I want to get it locally

FenderMetalheade

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2011
Midwest
Most 808d-1 cartomizers should work on your 901. Thats all I use on my riva 901. When I do decide to use the carts, I make sure and keep them wet. Just get the filler saturated (not dripping wet), and top it off after about about 10-15 drags. If it goes dry it will taste like burnt atty and filler and it will be hard to get rid of the taste. Those 901 cartridges don't hold alot of juice.

FenderMetalheade

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2011
Midwest
Everyone has their preferences. I am definitely a cartomizer fan. I like being able to fill up a few cartomizers when I leave the house and be able to switch flavors on the fly. If you make sure to keep them wet and clean them out once the performance starts to degrade, you can get a few weeks out of them. With the cartridges its alot harder to switch flavors as the new flavor will taste like the last flavor in your atty.

Last edited:

Erfmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2011
Arizona
Its working better now just a little confused on e-liquid application, I'm used to just a 2-piece e-cig where i just refilled the cartomizer when it stoped making smoke now, i'm confused as to when i should add liquid to the cart or when i should add it to the atty.

I haven't used 901's, but if they are like 510 carts, make sure the foam filler isn't squished too far down into the cart. It should be about flush with the top of the cart before you put it onto the atty. The atty needs to contact the foam slightly to be able to wick the juice from it...
To refill, I used to take the foam right out, fill the cart about 1/2 way, then reinsert the foam using tweezers, then top off the foam with a few drops til it looks moist...not too much, or you will flood the atty, and it won't vape properly...
It takes a little practice, and fiddling....that's why many switch to cartos....
Good luck

OdinsChild76

Jun 2, 2011
Wadsworth
Hello Ferret! I too about a month ago started my e-cig journey with a Riva 901 from Liberty Flights. Everyone else has given you very good advice, that is spot on, but I wanted to add that I found with my Riva the attys really need to be broken in a little before you see the wonderful performance! I already burned out two LR attys, and refuse to use the two standard attys, because they just aren't up to snuff after the LR attys! LOL :) I just today got some cartos for mine too to try for the first time, , and have been trying them, and I am liking them A LOT!! Haha, what I did was get a 901 to 510 adapter, and got some Boge 510 Cartos, cause Liberty Flights did not offer a low enough resistance carto for the 901 that I wanted, the LR attys spoiled me, and I wanted cartos that more emulated them. LOL But get a good charge, make sure your filler is even, fill er up, and get it broken in, and you should notice a HUGE difference!!! In my experience tho, the cartridges DO dry our pretty fast, that was one of the reasons I went with the cartos. Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread