Confirming nic-base quality before storing ?s

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunMonkeyINTL

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2014
NC
Have never made DIY juice, but, with the new regs that just dropped, I figured that now was the time to sort it out.

On Thursday night, I ordered 2 liters of 100mg VG base, and 40 50ml glass bottles with eurodripper tops.

I was afraid there might be a run on nic base, so I ordered 1l each from two different vendors, to improve my chances of getting at least one of them. One vendor was nude nic and the other was Ecig express.

It looks like both my orders were accepted, and the one from ECX has already shipped.

My plan is to immediately break them down into the smaller glass bottles and put them into the chest freezer, keeping one 50ml bottle out to begin experimenting and learning DIY on.

Before I put them into long-term storage, I want to confirm that it is good (if it is not, I will send back). I'm not so worried about them being the advertised strength, as I am about them being fresh, tasteless etc.

I'm very flavor conscious, and there is no way I'll be able to tolerate the black-pepper taste I've seen in DIY juice from some of the lower rent house-mixers.

SO...I want to make sure that what both vendors send me taste right before I break them down and lose my ability to return them.

Since I'm not currently DIYing, my thought is to buy a bottle of 0mg of one of my known favorites, break that down into two bottles, and add enough nic base from each liter to bring them up to 3mg- then test.

Seems simple enough, but am I missing something? Is there anything else your experienced DIYers do to confirm you're happy with your nic base before you commit to it?

GunMonkeyINTL

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2014
NC
Is that the same thing used in wine-making?

The wife and I have dabbled with that, with all the fruit and wild berries around our property, and I'm almost certain I saw something with that same name in the brew supply shop in the city. If so, I could probably drive there and have it in time for the other stuff to arrive.

wesley pierce

May 8, 2016
arkansas
Nude nic is known and generally excepted as GRASS. It is great nic. Bottle it and freeze it.

Never used or read about E-cig expresss
excepted as GRASS? not familliar with the termanology. but there are very very few manufacturer of nicotine as in like 4-6 world wide, all of which are epa\gov regulated and such. so in the vast majority of cases wether you get it from one or the other, the chancer are it is the exact same product from the same facility. the bottles are real, the nic is real, only the names on the label have changed , to protect the identity of the source lol.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
excepted as GRASS? not familliar with the termanology. but there are very very few manufacturer of nicotine as in like 4-6 world wide, all of which are epa\gov regulated and such. so in the vast majority of cases wether you get it from one or the other, the chancer are it is the exact same product from the same facility. the bottles are real, the nic is real, only the names on the label have changed , to protect the identity of the source lol.

Even if that were true, there are further refinements (or not) and handling by each distributor to consider. Some are good some are not so much. There is a ton of info on this forum and I bet you will find a lot of it interesting. You might want to start with the nicotine comparison thread. It is jammed packed with info on Nic.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
You can read 1 of the threads on here about nicotine testing. It's a "sticky" at the top of the forum. I read it and then went and bought this kit at PetsMart: API pH TEST KIT...in the fish aquariums section. It contains a 37mL bottle of the bromo blue, a glass vial to use for the test, and a color chart to refer to when you do it. I think I paid $8.49 w/tax for the kit.

Then bought a small bottle of R-0009 Sulfuric Acid .12N at a local pool supplies place. I think it was about $3.50 for the 22mL bottle.

The above worked great when I needed to test a L of nic 2 months ago. Enabled me to find out what I needed to know quickly.

By the way, there's plenty in each bottle to do a nic test 100 or more times easily. So, the cost is minimal for the amount you get.

wesley pierce

May 8, 2016
arkansas
You mean "accepted as GRAS" (Generally Recognized As Safe) :)
i have never heard of a single nicotine manufacturer\supplier that wasn't "gras" the regulations and quality control by government and fda on usp\pharmacutical supplies are kinda strict. just getting the licenses and permits to manufacture nicotine require constant industrial pharamacologist supervision and constant product monitoring\ testing\quality and purity checks\as well as a clean room grade enviroment with hazmat suits and goverment inspections frequently. this probably has to do with the fact that nicotine is actually incredibly toxic. 65mg of nicotine is LD50 (lethal dosage) and with nicotine produced at 1000mg per gram (industry standard 99%+ purity required ) wich is almost perfectly pure, is then mixed with a base of anything from pg,vg,alcohols,oils,ect depenant upon the marketing intent\manufacturing orders\ect. and even amounts to small to be visible to the naked eye can be fatal at these levels before (and after if liquids of sufficient amount are in contact with the skin) being dilluted. so being "gras" is a nessesity in every case...unless you dont mind employies and customers dropping like flies and feds rading your factory seizing your buisness and assets .

wesley pierce

May 8, 2016
arkansas
Is that the same thing used in wine-making?

The wife and I have dabbled with that, with all the fruit and wild berries around our property, and I'm almost certain I saw something with that same name in the brew supply shop in the city. If so, I could probably drive there and have it in time for the other stuff to arrive.
there are purity testers that accurately measure nicotine levels available at vaping dot com for under 15 dollars. i think they are around nine, but i cant remember honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread