conflicting information re the two pg/vg labeling sticky threads ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/277267-purity-pg-vg-peg-short-version.html

The short version sticky leaves me scratching my head wondering if the Propylene Glycol, USP as sold at Tractor supply for example is safe as its sold as an animal food suppliment. Reading this thread 'unless i misunderstand the way it was worded' leaves me questioning whether or not there is indeed such a thing as animal grade "USP" which may contain contaminants which wouldn't be found in Pharma Grade "USP". whatta ??? walked away shaking my head.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/52669-pg-vg-labeling-purity-please-read.html
But the long version sticky thread... Reading this thread I'm more inclined to feel safe just trusting the "USP" labeling and ignoring the fact that it's sold at tractors supply for farm animal usage. Since it should be exactly the same purity as us pharmicopia grade since it does carry the "USP" certification.

Am I just missing something, or does the short version sticky thread need further clarification ?

Am I safe to assume that the USP on the tractors supply product label is all I need to feel safe, as the longer please read sticky indicates ?

tia

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
USP = U Should Purchase

BigGrin-1.gif

Crunktanium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2013
Florida (east coast)
Obviously, Glycerin USP is the optimum choice for all applications requiring USP grade glycerin by FDA regulation. The USP designation on the label assures that the glycerin product is traceable by lot to the original manufacturer, is supported by documentation attesting to its compliance with USP standards of quality, and has been produced in accordance with GMP principles.

Specification Data [MSDS]

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
Ok yeah I know it's USP I get that and personally I feel ok using the pg from tractors supply, after all it IS carrying the USP banner.
So in essence tractors supply is selling a USP labeled for its target market...the farmers and their cattle.

But as far as everyone feeling the same about having confidence in the USP aspect...heres the head scratcher I'm referring to from the (short version) sticky thread....

It is possible that a USP product can be either pharma grade or food grade. The USP designation only refers to a general production regime and does not cover the percentage of contaminants. So a USP product might be considered safe for inhalation; or it might, on test, prove inadvisable to inhale. The only product that is guaranteed to be suitable for inhalation is a product that is (a) designated by the manufacturer as Pharmaceutical Grade, and that (b) also has a provable license for inclusion in a specific inhalable medicine. Needless to say this is virtually impossible to locate for the individual buyer. A vendor would be able to buy e.g. Dow Optim glycerine in quantity, for mixing down (or its PG equivalent), and be assured the material is suitable. This however doesn't take into account the nicotine base carrier PG or glycerine.

PG
Only propylene glycol of pharma grade should be inhaled, no other grade is suitable. All other grades contain contaminants.

Surely, one would assume that a pharmiceutical grade would be the same as USP (pharmicopia being same as food grade), only it would be packaged in a sterile condition for use in medical applications such as iv drugs and other compounds such as bronchial inhalers. Its just that last statement in the short sticky which keeps me wondering aloud here....

PG
Only propylene glycol of pharma grade should be inhaled, no other grade is suitable. All other grades contain contaminants.

:facepalm:

As for VG, yes I feel fine about trusting the USP glycerine packaged by Humco Inc. as sold in just about every major pharmacy chain in the country and we all know its truely clean veg based vg for our application.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
USP is pharmaceutical grade in the USA. Their standards for pharmacueticals are enforced by the FDA.

The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.

USP standards are developed and revised by more than 900 volunteer experts, including international participants, who work with USP under strict conflict-of-interest rules. Since its founding in 1820, USP has helped secure the quality of the American drug supply. Building on that legacy, USP today works with scientists, practitioners, and regulators of many nations to help protect public health worldwide.

About USP | U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread