The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Confusion on voltage.

Discussion in 'RDA' started by Joe Vito, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    so I’m finally getting the hang of everything...huge shout out to ALL OF YOU who have helped my OCD butt out. What I’m still confused about is...an 18650 charged to 4.2 volts. Now, depending how many watts I have my mod set to, and my build, sometimes when I vape the display on the screen shows a number, idk, lets say for example 5.63. What I’m confused about is it doesn’t make sense to me how a 4.2 volt battery can be vaping at 5.63. I watched some videos with mooch and he explained that this is the voltage of the coils and not the batteries, but it is all still confusing and I don’t quite understand. Can someone please elaborate. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kusie

Kusie Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2017
    Germany
    Hi,
    i´m not an electronic expert but I understood that it´s all about ohm´s law. See Ohms Law Calculator
    Enter the watts value you selected and your coil resistance and press calculate - you´ll see that the shown volts value will probably be around the 5.6 you saw. Of course a battery charged to 4.2 volts can physically not give you more than the amount it´s charged to, but your regulated mod calculates the values correctly.
    Maybe somebody with a more accurate knowlegde can explain it more detailed.
    K.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Don29palms

Don29palms Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    Is your mod single 18650 or dual 18650? Dual 18650s will give you 8.4 volts.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Depending on which device I’m using. For arguments sake let’s say I’m using a single 18650 device

• Like Like x 1
  5. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    VV mods often have voltage boosters in them to allow pulses of power at a higher voltage than the battery can supply normally. It’s not great for the batteries and sucks their juice very fast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    But from what I understand from mooch’s video, it’s not displaying the voltage from the battery, but the voltage to the coil, that’s where the confusion is

• Like Like x 1
  7. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Yes. And there’s a voltage booster on the chip between the battery and the coil

• Like Like x 1
  8. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Should I try to stick within a certain range?

• Like Like x 1
  9. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Should is a complicated word. I personally try to stay under 4v on single battery devices but this is mostly just to improve battery life.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    So on my dual device is fine around 5 or 6 your saying because it’s series?

• Like Like x 1
  11. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Likely

• Like Like x 1
  12. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Dual battery mod, yes, you are likely fine. Really, wattage is what you need to worry about. You want batteries that will not get overstressed by the wattage you run them at. Really, ohm's only matter in the sense that the lower your coil resistance, likely the higher wattage it MAY need (not always) to run it. You want to be sure that you have batteries that give you the capacity to vape at the wattage you need, and usually the more power you draw from the battery, the less runtime you will get. Us MTL vapers with very low wattage usually use lower powered cells, to enable longer run time. The higher wattage you vape, the higher Amp batteries you will need. As you use more Amps, typically run-time (mAh) will be lower. So you want to balance your wattage needs against the amount of consistent power you will need in order to power your builds.

Best of luck,

Anna

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    My amps and ohms are all set. I guess my real question is, what significance, if any, does the voltage display play a role in?

• Like Like x 1
  14. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Basically none :D
    It’s mildly useful in that it can give you a good idea how much your pulling from your battery with a quick look. I for example try to keep the number under 3.5v on single battery mods if I can do so conveniently just because it’s better for battery life

• Like Like x 2
  15. Don29palms

Don29palms Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    I agree. I usually keep my voltage no higher than 4.0v. I build my coils so it's not necessary to vape at higher wattages ( or voltage) to get a satisfying vape. I like big dense flavorful clouds. I build my own coils and make my own ejuice like ALOT of others on here.

• Like Like x 2
  16. mrjohs

mrjohs Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 3, 2015
    No it does not. It just pulls more amps from the battery than it normally would. If your battery can handle it it is all good. For example, if you vape a 18650 at 40 watts with a 0.9 ohm coil on a regulated, it will draw as many amps as it would vaping on a mech on a 0.34 ohm coil which works out to about 40 watts also.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    point of disagreement:
    They do. Even the old spinners had em. They do it by pulsing the current. Google “joule thief” for the methodology. You can generally even see the doughnut on the board as it’s generally the single largest component.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. mrjohs

Apr 3, 2015
    So if you are running a 0.9 ohm coil at 6 volts on a regulated you are drawing more than 40w from the battery? Where does that extra energy go? To heat?

I googled the joule thief term, and it seems it has been termed that way since it can be used to draw power from cells that in reality are dead. That will fry the batteries pretty quickly, yeah. But that is NOT what a regulated mod would do.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    “Would do”?

• Like Like x 1
  20. mrjohs

Apr 3, 2015
    I would assume that any reasonable regulated mod would not pull power from a dead cell (i.e under 2.5V). If it does then throw it in the trash.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.