Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I would assume that any reasonable regulated mod would not pull power from a dead cell (i.e under 2.5V). If it does then throw it in the trash.

I would assume that any reasonable regulated mod would not pull power from a dead cell (i.e under 2.5V). If it does then throw it in the trash.
Perhaps my reply was inordinately brief. The voltage booster circuit is part of the voltage thief circuit. I mentioned the voltage thief because the Wikipedia entry happens to contain a handy circuit diagram. I was questioning whether your issue was based on knowledge of the circuitry or assumptions about the way you believe a device should work.

Reactions: stols001

mrjohs

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2015
Perhaps my reply was inordinately brief. The voltage booster circuit is part of the voltage thief circuit. I mentioned the voltage thief because the Wikipedia entry happens to contain a handy circuit diagram. I was questioning whether your issue was based on knowledge of the circuitry or assumptions about the way you believe a device should work.

You said:

VV mods often have voltage boosters in them to allow pulses of power at a higher voltage than the battery can supply normally. It’s not great for the batteries and sucks their juice very fast.

What I am questioning is the "It’s not great for the batteries" part. How can it be worse for the battery to draw 40W on a 0.34ohm coil with 3.7V on a mech, compared to drawing 40W on a 0.9ohm coil with 6V on a regulated?

They are both drawing about 11 Amperes and 3.7V from the battery, so I do not see how that is different in regards to wear of the battery.

• Agree

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
When using regulated power device resistance is irrelevant as long as it is within its operating range and has nothing to do with battery amp drain.
Just before & at the power devices battery low voltage cutoff amp demand will be highest, as battery voltage decreases amp demand increases.
---> Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

When using a mech, battery amp demand will be highest when using a cell at 4.2v & decreases as voltage depletes.
4.2v / .34Ω = 12.3a
3.7v / .34Ω = 10.8a
3.2v /.34Ω = 9.4a

savourymilkman

Mar 2, 2018
Heh, first post and its an answer not a question

Voltage is the measurement of electrical potential, or "pressure." You can increase the voltage on these mods via potentiometer, which is dependent on the current voltage of the battery or batteries in serial, OR by having voltage boosters between the battery and potentiometer. I would not use voltage settings above 4v for a single battery, at full charge the voltage is ~4.2v. Depending on design it might not even work more than the current voltage of the battery, so an 8.4v setting really would mean that its just running at max volts available

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread