The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Confusion on voltage.

Discussion in 'RDA' started by Joe Vito, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Perhaps my reply was inordinately brief. The voltage booster circuit is part of the voltage thief circuit. I mentioned the voltage thief because the Wikipedia entry happens to contain a handy circuit diagram. I was questioning whether your issue was based on knowledge of the circuitry or assumptions about the way you believe a device should work.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mrjohs

mrjohs Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 3, 2015
    You said:

What I am questioning is the "It’s not great for the batteries" part. How can it be worse for the battery to draw 40W on a 0.34ohm coil with 3.7V on a mech, compared to drawing 40W on a 0.9ohm coil with 6V on a regulated?

They are both drawing about 11 Amperes and 3.7V from the battery, so I do not see how that is different in regards to wear of the battery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    When using regulated power device resistance is irrelevant as long as it is within its operating range and has nothing to do with battery amp drain.
    Just before & at the power devices battery low voltage cutoff amp demand will be highest, as battery voltage decreases amp demand increases.
    ---> Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

When using a mech, battery amp demand will be highest when using a cell at 4.2v & decreases as voltage depletes.
    4.2v / .34Ω = 12.3a
    3.7v / .34Ω = 10.8a
    3.2v /.34Ω = 9.4a

• Like Like x 3
  4. Don29palms

Don29palms Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    A corvette with a 6cyl engine has the same top speed as a corvette with a twin turbo . The size of the engine doesn't matter as long as it's a corvette.

• Like Like x 2
  5. savourymilkman

savourymilkman Full Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Heh, first post and its an answer not a question

Voltage is the measurement of electrical potential, or "pressure." You can increase the voltage on these mods via potentiometer, which is dependent on the current voltage of the battery or batteries in serial, OR by having voltage boosters between the battery and potentiometer. I would not use voltage settings above 4v for a single battery, at full charge the voltage is ~4.2v. Depending on design it might not even work more than the current voltage of the battery, so an 8.4v setting really would mean that its just running at max volts available

• Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.