Volt and APV Battery Level Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
With APV's you can change the voltage, but I see that when you check the battery level it shows voltage too. So I was wondering why is it that when you set the voltage to for example 4.2 why does the battery still work when it's below 4.2? I saw that and I thought to myself, if it's set to 4.2 volt won't that drain all that 4.2 volt left in your battery.

This is very confusing to me. I hope somebody can explain this to me and hopefully this question has not been asked before if it has my sincere apologies in advanced.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm not an Electrical Expert.

But what I have been told is that the Circuit Board in a VV or VW APV draws Voltage from the Battery, then it Steps it Up to the Desired Voltage (trading Amps for Volts), and then Sends it to your Atomizer. So you can Output More Voltage to your Atomizer than the Battery currently has.

Oh so it's like overclocking computers but instead of computers you are overclocking the battery voltage? Sounds awesome but does that harm the battery itself? I know overclocking a processor produces a lot of heat so you will need something like liquid cooling. But I don't see any cooling system build into the battery. Sounds a little bit unsafe. 8-o

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Oh so it's like overclocking computers but instead of computers you are overclocking the battery voltage? Sounds awesome but does that harm the battery itself? I know overclocking a processor produces a lot of heat so you will need something like liquid cooling. But I don't see any cooling system build into the battery. Sounds a little bit unsafe. 8-o

It Isn't so much like Overclocking.

Think of it more like Filling Up your sink until it is Full. Then Pulling the Plug and letting the water Drain out.

The Faucet (the Battery) does what it does, lets water flow thru at it's Normal Rate. But when you pull the Drain Plug (the VV Circuit Board), the Water can flow down the Drain at a Higher Rate because the Hole in the Drain is Bigger than the Hole in the Faucet.

What Variable Voltage does is Change the Size of the Hole in the Drain. So if you want your APV to Output 5.5v (Boost), the Drain size is Large. If you want the APV to Output 3.7v, then the Drain is the Same Size (Pass Thru). And if you want to Output Less then your Battery, say 3.3V (Buck), then the Drain size is Smaller.

The Battery doesn't Know or Care what is going on. It just sits there holding the Electrons until there is a Path for them to Flow. That's is, you turn on the Faucet.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
What is important in APV's that boost the output voltage higher than the battery voltage is that you use good quality batteries with a decent amp rating. Specifically I would suggest IMR high drain batteries from a trusted manufacturer. Avoid Ultrafire, Trustfire, anything-else-fire, GTL, Soshine, PALight or unbranded batteries (not an exhaustive list). Samsung, LG, Sony, Panasonic/Sanyo, and MNKE make decent high output cells, and there are several companies who "re-wrap" them like AW, Efest, Keeppower, Xtar and Orbtronic.

Higher output devices need careful battery choice. For example, DNA30's demand batteries with a minimum continuous output rating of 12 Amps. The latest breed of mods offering 100w or even higher will need very specific batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread