congestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiXLL

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2012
Beaver Falls, Pa
I don't know if I am imagining things or not, throwing it out there to see if anybody else is the same. I am at 3 months of vaping. Have been using Niquid Midnight Express for about a month now. Over the past 2 weeks I have been experiencing flem in my esophagus, not the throat, but a little lower down into the chest. If I breath hard or take a deep breath I cough. In the morning I can only take the very lightest of hits when I vape, feels like after a night of smoking too many analogs used to. I am only vaping about 3/4 of a tank of liquid a day. (T3) so I don't think its from vaping too much I am starting to wonder if its from the Niquid juice? Anybody else experiencing this?

Bizzar1

Apr 9, 2012
Tennessee
It could very well be the juice. I love si's 555 but it makes me wheeze. Too much vaping with the stuff and my throat becomes very sensitive and wheezy like you describe. Almost like a tiny bit of flem that tickles my throat sort of in the lungs. try a different flavor/brand for a few days and see what happens. I now use the 555 as a flavor additive instead. Just can't use it straight anymore.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
I would definitely try some different juice or switch off juices. I like the 555 a lot but I definitely trade off through out the day. I sometimes notice that situation myself on occasion, Bixll, and haven't decided if it is one of my juices, I am still getting over smoking or what.

dwsizme

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2012
Michigan
I've been having alot of phlem in the morning lately, too....however so has my co-worker. I vape, she doesn't. Go figure. I just think there's something going around maybe.
Awhile back my lungs hurt....really congested. I thought it was the vaping but then a few of my non-vaping friends/family told me they were going thru the same thing. So I stopped worrying about the vaping.
Just went to the Dr this week on another matter....my foot has been going numb. I thought the Dr would tell me to quit vaping that maybe it was constricting blood vessels or something (I know I am a worry wart)....however she was thrilled I was vaping and not smoking. (I'm getting an MRI done next week to see what's up.)
So the moral to my story is quit worrying. See if your non vaping friends family around you are having the same thing going on. Might just be something going around....something in the air...weather, etc. Do like everyone said, change flavors/brands see if that helps.
:)

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
I would suggest running a pipe cleaner down the airtube of the T3 to see if any gunk has built up in it. Someone made that suggestion on another SI thread regarding cleaning the T3. When they ran a pipe cleaner down the airhole, there was a large amount of accumulation there. I haven't had the problem that you are having but I really need to get some pipe cleaners to thoroughly clean it out. I've just been rinsing the mouthpiece portion under hot running water, but more detailed cleaning could be needed. It seems we have been more concerned about cleaning the coils. If that is not the problem, maybe you should be checked out by your doctor. There could be another underlying problem going on. Hope you get better soon.

Duster6524

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2012
VA, USA 'In A Holler'

Duster6524

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2012
VA, USA 'In A Holler'
Yeah, but what do you think happened to the years of tar and gunk that had built up? It'll take time for it to fully disappear, and now we are putting something else in our lungs for them to deal with. There was something else that I can't seem to remember about the "3's"... something like 3 days, 3 weeks and 3 months that was about symptoms, I think. (Sometimes I get overloaded with info and something has to go to make room for the new! :p)

Or it could just be a cold! :confused:

Moonstruck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2009
Colorado
I've been vaping for over 3 years, and I will still occasionally cough up excess amounts of phlegm. I smoked for over 38 years.

But this issue, for me, was most noticeable in the 1st year of vaping, even though I did not smoke a single cigarette. Not smoking caused lots of changes in my body. Coughing up phlegm was just one of them. I also had severe sinus drainage for several months. I had several episodes that seemed to be severe allergic reactions. All of these things dissipated over time.

Vaping is only one possible cause for your congestion. It could be something going around, as others said. It could be an allergy or sensitivity to something in your ejuice. It could just be your body expelling the toxins still in your lungs. It could be a sign of dehydration (vaping dries us out; be sure to drink lots of water).

If you're worried or if it continues, you should see your doctor.

Basilor

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Hope you start feeling better, Bixll

Same here, hope you feel better.

I suddenly developed the same symptoms. The juices I started vaping with suddenly made me cough horribly. I could hardly take a vape without coughing. I also noticed I would get a little short of breath, and light headed, sometimes from just standing up after bending over.

All of that stopped when I started doing DIY in Oct. Side by side, my mixes taste much smoother and never make me cough. I also realized that I was no longer experiencing light headedness.

I recently ordered a favorite premix flavor from a well known vendor (not SI) and after vaping it as one of my main vapes, started to feel light headed again. I cut way back and it stopped. I won't be reordering it. Dunno what to say in your case though.

Mark

mudhill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2012
versailles mo.
i have heaviness in my chest at about 6 months of vaping ,,i do diy juice,i have tried every combination of vg/pg,,less flavor,plain no nic juice,nothing seems to help,,i use my enebulizer about 5 times a day to get rid of the shallow or heaviness in my lungs.

my doctor can't find anything wrong with me but lungs of a 54 yr. smoker at 67 yrs. of age,,told me that i may have to quit vaping,if i don't get over it.

Bukket5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2012
Anchorage
I don't know if I am imagining things or not, throwing it out there to see if anybody else is the same. I am at 3 months of vaping. Have been using Niquid Midnight Express for about a month now. Over the past 2 weeks I have been experiencing flem in my esophagus, not the throat, but a little lower down into the chest. If I breath hard or take a deep breath I cough. In the morning I can only take the very lightest of hits when I vape, feels like after a night of smoking too many analogs used to. I am only vaping about 3/4 of a tank of liquid a day. (T3) so I don't think its from vaping too much I am starting to wonder if its from the Niquid juice? Anybody else experiencing this?

I can't vape any juice with a VG ratio higher than 30 or I get the same thing. I would recommend getting one of Smokeless Image's flavors and see if it stops. Smokeless image uses 90/10 and Niquid is 60/40. If you do fine with the Smokeless Image juices then you're going to have to use a company that lets you chose the pg/vg ratio if you want a different flavor. There are lots of them out there. You can then try 80/20 and 70/30. Or just stay with the 90/10.

When I first started vaping all I used was Smokeless Image flavors, 555 and Cappuccino. I tried another company and they recommended 50/50 so that's what I bought. My lungs started feeling heavy and then I started coughing up phlegm. I didn't know what was going on since I'd been vaping for 4 months with no problems at all. Since everyone talks about PG problems I ordered a 100% VG juice! I felt like I was trying to breath underwater! I ordered again and tried 80/20 and I was fine. Moved up to 70/30 and I'm ok as long as I don't overdo. I would prefer to vape 50/50 but I'll use a lower VG before I would give up vaping!

It doesn't happen to everyone but I've found out that it is quite common. I had a very intelligent man that owns an ejuice company explain it to me in better terms! I still keep some 90/10 around for when I've vaped too much.

Also, make sure you are drinking plenty of water. It is really important to hydrate when vaping.

CatLady007

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
FL Panhandle
I'm coming to the conversation a little late, but I've been having some congestion as well; only this is allergy season for me (I know it when the Japanese magnolias start blooming, usually in Feb, but they have started in Jan, this year). So I'm just attributing mine to allergies. The unusually warm weather we've had here in FL has a lot of people sneezing and rubbing their eyes. My nose runs like a faucet, and so I wind up with some chest congestion. The good news is, before I quit smoking, it would likely wind up as bronchitis; now it won't. Yayyy!!!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread