Considering getting a 3d printer to DIY some mods....

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't have a 3D printer. But I have made a Lot of STL files for a company that makes 3D printed Prototypes/Proof of Concept parts.

A 3D Printer is really 3 Components. A way to make a "water tight" 3D CAD Files. A piece of software to take the CAD File and converts it into Machine Movement. And, of course, the Machine that does the Actual Printing.

I haven't Priced 3D Printers or Printing Software in a Long Time. But I know it they have come down Dramatically in the last 4 or 5 Years.

About How Much were you thinking that you would want to spend to be Up and Running?

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
$500-$1200 would be desired but if there is a quality printer either above or below that range I would consider it. I would really like it to print some of the metal infused plastic filament but not an absolute requirement.

What I really want is one of the HP 3d printers that can print actual metal, but I know those are going to be WAY WAY WAY out of my price range since they are designed for full industrial production usage.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
$500-$1200 would be desired but if there is a quality printer either above or below that range I would consider it. I would really like it to print some of the metal infused plastic filament but not an absolute requirement.

Just not sure How Many good options you would have in that Price Range? I would poke around and see what 3D Printer Forums are out there.

Couple things to keep in mind...

Printing Envelope Size.
Type of Printing Mediums that a Printer can use and their Costs.
Type of Supporting Medium/Dissolvers and their Costs.
Included Software/Interfaces.
Stated Print Resolution.
And, of course, Print Speeds at Various Dimensional Tolerances.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

What I really want is one of the HP 3d printers that can print actual metal, but I know those are going to be WAY WAY WAY out of my price range since they are designed for full industrial production usage.

BTW - Can you do 3D CAD?

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    Some of the newer units have multiple print heads so you can print with multiple filament colors. I'd look at Monoprice for your first unit. As far as filament, PLA is biodegradeable, but going on 2 years the PLA funnels I've printed are still holding up fine.

Luckily up here in Canada, they're at many local libraries and allow me tp print at 50 cents per 15 minute interval with their filament included (only PLA). You might find a local 'maker' space where you can print before buying your own

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Some of the newer units have multiple print heads so you can print with multiple filament colors. I'd look at Monoprice for your first unit. As far as filament, PLA is biodegradeable, but going on 2 years the PLA funnels I've printed are still holding up fine.

Luckily up here in Canada, they're at many local libraries and allow me tp print at 50 cents per 15 minute interval with their filament included (only PLA). You might find a local 'maker' space where you can print before buying your own

Yeah I may try that first. Thanks.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I haven't done CAD specifically, but I do have some experience with Autodesk 3D Studio, and Lightwave 3d. Both of which are 3 modeling programs designed for film and television animation.

Yeah... 3D Printing software can sometimes be a Tad Picky about the CAD Model you give it. Most don't like Discontinuities and or "Overlaps" when you make a Mesh.

The Basic Concept is there has to be a Continuous "Outside" and a Continuous "Inside" of the Solid Model.

There is a Ton of STL Checking software out there that you can Download for a Trial Period. You might get something like netfabb (just one I can think of off the Top of My Head) and do some Simple Files and see if you can Output "Water Tight" STL Files with what you have.

Cause it ALL starts with a CAD Model. And sometimes there can be a Disconnect between being able to make a Snazzy Presentation Model vs making a 3D Printable STL File.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 1, 2013
    Springfield, MO
    I 3D print my own mods. My filament of choice is PETG. My printer is a highly modified Ultibots K250 delta I got many years ago that is mostly custom now. I CAD with Freecad. 3D printing has a steep learning curve but if you are willing to spend the time and effort (read fails) to learn it is rewarding. It's not a plug and play hobby.

LoZeWno.jpg

Ultibots has a much newer kit with most of the bells and whistles. Brad's personal support is second to none.

My current favorite 3D mod is a 20700 modified version of Pdib's Pinch. Here is one of them.

7ieQgap.jpg

Having a lifetime supply of nic and knowing I can print my own mods ........... priceless.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    @ScottP , if you want any pointers on 3D autocad design, my husband has used it some, although he finds CAD on its own perfectly useable in most applications, but he has done some 3D work with CAD 3D. A license is not cheap, either. But if you have any general questions about it, I'm pretty sure he'd be happy to offer some pointers. He's done CAD design pretty much non-stop, etc.

Good luck, man, having a decent 3D printer in a library? LOL around here, we barely have ebooks. LOL.

Anna

jim_87

Resident Forum Lurker
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2018
    USA
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread