Considering upgrade, opinions appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Speakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
lawrence, KS
I have been using a Smokeless Image Volt setup (first ecig experience) for a little over a month. It's been a great product so far, but it seems most people on this forum prefer an ego setup and I wouldn't mind having more than one device to use.

I have been looking at this kit-MadVapes eGo 2.0 Ohm Cartomizer Kit

Is that a good kit to start with?

Outside of the 510 threading having a lot more available accessories, what advantages can I expect from upgrading to an ego?

How different will the actual vaping experience be with this kit vs. the Volt?

I'm really enjoying the NET tobacco juices, is an ego better to use with those?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
An eGo battery offers a lot depending on what option you choose:

- every eGo batt offers much more battery life than your Volt.
- if you use Spinner or Twist eGo you have the option to adjust your voltage to where you want it. This is a big thing since cartos (and other delivery system) have different resistance. Variable voltage gives you the option to have a consistent vaping experience across the board.
- most delivery system work with the eGos.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The larger Smokeless Image Volt X2 and Volt Spinner batteries are essentially eGo batteries that use the 808-threading that SI prefers to use. Ego is a class of batteries, not a brand. Other manufacturers of eGo batteries are Joytech (Twist) and Vision (Spinner) which use a 510/ego thread. In fact, the Volt Spinners are a rebranding of the popular Vision Spinners, only with the 808 thread.

So what I'm getting at is you need not switch to another "system", but advance up with the same company that you already are using. Smokeless Image carries a fairly wide range of juice delivery devices to branch out to: ie. clearomizers, nano clearomizers, T3 clearomizers. You can even put a cartotank on either the X2 or Volt Spinner batteries using the blank silver stainless steel Volt cartomizers after using a cartopunch tool to make holes in them. http://www.myvaporstore.com/Pro_DCTank_Tube_p/510dcttp.htm

By advancing up to the larger batteries, you will get much longer time between battery charges and larger juice carrying capability. The X2 and Volt Spinner batteries come in three battery lengths, each allowing longer periods of time vaping without interruption. 100 mah equals 1 hour battery usage. So a 650 mah battery will give you 6.5 hours, a 900 mah battery will give you 9 hours, and the 1300 mah battery will give you 13 hours.

A typical cartomizer holds 1 ml of e-liquid. A T3 clearomizer holds almost 2.5 ml. A cartotank can hold 3 - 6 ml of e-liquid. So more liquid capacity means less need to change delivery devices or the need to refill during the day. So yes, more convenience. Less need to carry so many batteries to last you the day.

The only juice delivery device that Smokeless Image does not offer is a larger clearotank like a Vivi Nova; however you can get an adaptor (808 to 510) to put one on a Volt X2 or Volt Spinner. http://www.myvaporstore.com/901_to_510_Adapter_p/901to510.htm

vivinovamini-twist.jpg Mini Vivi Nova tank on a ego-type battery.

Size comparison of Volt vs Volt X2/Spinner batteries:
Smokeless Image battery size comparisons.jpg

Volt X2 with a clearomizer:
X2 & clearomizer.jpg

Last edited:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Realize there is an eGo class/ style of PVs. The JoyTech eGo (the one in your link)is 900 mah and fires @ 3.3 volts- costs $48.99.
The SLB Kgo is 1100 mah fires at 3.7 volts- $43.99. KGO kit1100mAh by SLB
Both Vendors are ECF listed/ verified and both the above PVs are manufactured by large and reputable companies.
The next step up would be a Variable Volt Spinner or Twist- fires from 3.2- 4.8 volts.
ALL the above PVs are the most popular 510 threading= a wide variety of delivery device options (holds and vaporizes the juice).

Here's a Kgo review

Last word of advice...take your time in choosing and the Best of Luck.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
E-Power 14650 is a nice, classic choice for an eGo-sized battery mod. I've been using my stainless steel for 18 months now without a hitch and it shows no sign of weakening. Two choices of single batteries: 1050 mAh ICR or 950 mAh IMR. These standard cylindrical batteries are dirt cheap compared to eGo style batteries. Voltage is regulated 3.7V but like most eGo-sized non-VV or VW APVs, it shows some voltage drop under load. It has some built-in safety features and a 5-click switch safety with low battery indication. I use this with LR cartos. This is a nice pocket-sized APV.

I use the this version which is for 510 connection only, no eGo-threaded devices with this one.

Shenzhen SMOK Technology Co., LTD

A newer version of E-Power 14650 was introduced by CCV. This is exactly the same but includes eGo threading. It may be a quarter of an inch longer.

E-POWER Vivi Nova Kit

I plan to keep on using the E-Power 14650 as small, pocket APV. Even after this arrives in my mailbox next week.

ElectronicStix.Com · Sigelei Telescoping ZMax V3

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thanks, Baditude, lots of good info. Let me ask you this, will a standard volt carto on an X2 batt perform better? Not in terms of battery life, but vapor production, flavor, etc.

Theoretically, no more vapor or flavor production. The same voltage is being delivered to the juice delivery device. However....in real life I can honestly say if I had a choice between the Volt and the larger Volt X2, I would choose the larger battery every time. Voltage will drop faster in a smaller battery with each vape than with a larger battery because of the larger reserve of the larger battery. You'll get a more consistant vape with the larger battery.

Last edited:

Evil Speakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
lawrence, KS
Theoretically, no more vapor or flavor production. The same voltage is being delivered to the juice delivery device. However....in real life I can honestly say if I had a choice between the Volt and the larger Volt X2, I would choose the larger battery every time. Voltage will drop faster in a smaller battery with each vape than with a larger battery because of the larger reserve of the larger battery. You'll get a more consistant vape with the larger battery.

So then it would be accurate to say that a clearomizer, tank or lr cartomizer would make a bigger difference in performance than the battery? You've got me thinking maybe I should try an X2 batt and a clearomizer... I'm a little leery of clearos though, from what I have read they seem to require more maintenance and are a little less consistent in performance.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Bigger batteries generally give better performance and overall satisfaction. Go with an ego-class battery, whether a Smokeless Image X2/Volt Spinner, or Joytech or Vision.

Every juice delivery device will give a slightly different vaping experience. Preference of one over another is subjective to other factors including the juice, battery device, voltage used, and the vapor's perceived expectations.

I prefer cartotanks over any of the string wick delivery devices. I find them to be more consistant, to not be position dependent, and to provide better flavor. Just my opinion.

Not a fan of low resistance myself. I prefer a cooler vape (standard or high resistance, depending on the battery voltage), but that may be because I had been a menthol smoker before I quit. I find low resistance to give a harsher vape, and sometimes mute flavors.

Last edited:

Juiceinator

Apr 11, 2013
New England
I have been using a Smokeless Image Volt setup (first ecig experience) for a little over a month. It's been a great product so far, but it seems most people on this forum prefer an ego setup and I wouldn't mind having more than one device to use.

I have been looking at this kit-MadVapes eGo 2.0 Ohm Cartomizer Kit

Is that a good kit to start with?

Outside of the 510 threading having a lot more available accessories, what advantages can I expect from upgrading to an ego?

How different will the actual vaping experience be with this kit vs. the Volt?

I'm really enjoying the NET tobacco juices, is an ego better to use with those?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Upgrading tomorrow myself. Quit smoking 6 days ago with a v2. After a week on their "20x refillable" carts they suck .... Upgrading to ego tomorrow. Sick of not pulling vapor anymore it's making me want a damn cigarette :(

Evil Speakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
lawrence, KS
Upgrading tomorrow myself. Quit smoking 6 days ago with a v2. After a week on their "20x refillable" carts they suck .... Upgrading to ego tomorrow. Sick of not pulling vapor anymore it's making me want a damn cigarette :(

Congrats on quitting smoking, I haven't completely ditched cigarettes yet, getting close though. You might give Volt or Bloog carts a try on your V2 batteries. I have been using them and they work really well. That way the $$ you spent on the V2's may not be completely wasted.

Juiceinator

Apr 11, 2013
New England
Congrats on quitting smoking, I haven't completely ditched cigarettes yet, getting close though. You might give Volt or Bloog carts a try on your V2 batteries. I have been using them and they work really well. That way the $$ you spent on the V2's may not be completely wasted.

cool thanks for the tip. I'm still picking up the ego setup tomorrow at a store by me but i may do that as a backup as wel, Can never be too prepared when the urge for a smoke hits :) Good luck making that final step

Demiurgous

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
Orange County, CA, USA
I haven't completely ditched cigarettes yet, getting close though.
What made the difference for me was more tobacco flavor and decent juice. Picked up the Halo Tribeca and it was game over.

Back on topic, using a variable voltage eGo twist (also have an eGo V pass through now) enabled me to dial it up or down as needed. Sometimes I'd really crave a smoke. Turn up the voltage a bit and get more of that "throat hit" and it really satisfies that urge. When just getting a nic fix I dial it down, and dial it way down for more constant use, like when driving.

Only way I could quit after 15 years. 5 days now and going strong. You're in the right path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread