Constant coughing, scratchy/tickled throat

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWalfington

Sep 6, 2009
The thread I would like to reply to is here, you can check it out if you have similar problems: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo.../329915-coughing-choking-scratchy-throat.html

So anyway I've been "vaping" for a 4 years now with a 1-year break in between. I don't know what is up with the PG/VG debate, just recently I started seeing that info on my bottles. Basically I've been smoking Watermelon Frost 2.4% 50/50 from myvaporstore (it's not their fault), switched briefly last month (out of stock), and started WF again. Before that it was the same flavor with no VG/PG info. Maybe if one was higher than the other then their evening it out this summer had some effect on me. I always got 2.4% and only coughed if I took a huge drag.

For the past 1-2 months I've been coughing horribly, clearing my throat constantly, having a tickling feeling down in my throat and mucus accompanying it. It got so bad that I decided to quit yesterday and chew nicotine gum. Before that I would even soak the vapor in my mouth or block my throat with my tongue before inhaling so my tongue would get the burn and not my throat/lungs. After 24 hours of not vaping I'm still coughing, I think it is less but it's too early to tell.

Other possible factors could be: the weather getting colder, got a new cat 2 weeks ago (pretty sure coughing started before though, plus I have/have had another cat in the house for 3+ years and ones before that, no allergy), or other unknown random allergies. I work out including doing cardio almost every day also.

This is all making me rethink vaping in general. This crap going on right now... it's irrational and should not happen.

Forgot to mention I smoke a Joye510, the atomizer is new as of 1-2 weeks ago, I drip directly onto the atomizer

Last edited:

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I would see a doctor. If you've been vaping on and off for 4 years it may not be related to vaping at all.
You're going to read a lot of threads like the one you linked to. Nothing wrong with that thread or any for that matter. But it's pretty anecdotal at best. None of us are doctors.

You could get a bottle of 100% vg and 100% pg liquid and see if one is better suited or not. Maybe lower your nic content as well.

VG and PG both are pretty common ingredients in many things (even cigarettes).

MrWalfington

Sep 6, 2009
I would see a doctor. If you've been vaping on and off for 4 years it may not be related to vaping at all.
You're going to read a lot of threads like the one you linked to. Nothing wrong with that thread or any for that matter. But it's pretty anecdotal at best. None of us are doctors.

You could get a bottle of 100% vg and 100% pg liquid and see if one is better suited or not. Maybe lower your nic content as well.

VG and PG both are pretty common ingredients in many things (even cigarettes).

Thanks for the reply. I actually had a checkup 4 months ago, and now that I remember it I was coughing at the time but decided not to mention it. Also dusted my entire bedroom back then to see if it would help. So, it has been going on for a while. Not likely to be any sort of infection, I'm in good health and have great lungs when jogging. I am willing to bet that 5 days of no vaping will clear it up, and also that it is an irritation problem, nothing very serious. If it doesn't clear up then time to explore other options.

Last edited:

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I hope it clears up! I run and can't vape high VG- I get a heavy feeling in my chest.

Again, I'm not doctor but it sounds a bit like an allergic reaction. You could try what I mentioned, get a small sample bottle of 100% VG, 100% PG, even order from a different vendor and get a different flavor. A member here mentioned they had a reaction to a banana flavoring once. Do a little experimenting and see if it is from vaping. You have to know, it's a heck of a lot healthier than smoking. Plus it doesn't stink. :laugh:

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
See a Doctor. I have had sinus and mostly upper respiratory problems since I was a kid. Yea I know Smoking dumb! But I have learned a thing or two. Don't mess around. See a Doctor. You could have an allergy to something in vaping. Like PG or maybe a flavor or you may have the start of an infection. In any case a doctor is called for. If I let mine get out of hand they can turn into Bronchitis a couple of times they turned into Pneumonia. Had a friend who ended up in a hospital for a few days from an Allergy to a some component in the Juice. In any case not to many Medical licenses on our sigs. Never heard of a forum physical exam which you probably need. An in person one that is .

MrWalfington

Sep 6, 2009
See a Doctor. I have had sinus and mostly upper respiratory problems since I was a kid. Yea I know Smoking dumb! But I have learned a thing or two. Don't mess around. See a Doctor. You could have an allergy to something in vaping. Like PG or maybe a flavor or you may have the start of an infection. In any case a doctor is called for. If I let mine get out of hand they can turn into Bronchitis a couple of times they turned into Pneumonia. Had a friend who ended up in a hospital for a few days from an Allergy to a some component in the Juice. In any case not to many Medical licenses on our sigs. Never heard of a forum physical exam which you probably need. An in person one that is .

Thanks for your input. I'm not really sure how to approach this. I have two cats and can't "get rid" of them haha. If it's an allergy, whatever it may be I don't think anything more than over the counter antihistamines would "help." My immune system is incredibly strong from exercising. From reading about allergies years ago (my nose always runs) there is just a long trial and error process. I work at home, and maybe going to the office for a day would reveal whether my allergies are somewhere in the house or not.

Quitting vaping for 24 hours didn't help much so I started up again, haha. Going to try new liquids when I finish with these. I just feel that if I went to the doctor over every tiny problem I perceive (a little hypochondria) then I'd be there twice a week. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread