Status
Not open for further replies.

Krythis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
WNY
krythis.com
I'm working on a juice fed box mod for someone who is new to vapping and will definitely forget it on and melt the cartridge at some point. I'd like to wire it so that the LED is on whenever the power in on so that she doesn't forget to turn off the master switch before throwing it in her pocket. Does anyone have a link to a how-to for this?

Krythis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
WNY
krythis.com
One lead of the LED between the master switch and the button switch...ground the other lead and put a 470 ohm resistor on either leg of the LED.

Sorry...negative side should be coming from the master to the button so dont ground the other leg...run it to the positive side.
Ok now I'm really confused lol. The box I'm using is from Madvapes and has the master switch pre-wired to the positive side. Are you saying I need to have it on the negative side? Are there any diagrams for this configuration?

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
Ok now I'm really confused lol. The box I'm using is from Madvapes and has the master switch pre-wired to the positive side. Are you saying I need to have it on the negative side? Are there any diagrams for this configuration?

Unless you are using a regulator it doesnt matter which side is going to the master..just put one leg of the LED between switches and the other to the opposite polarity of the battery.

Just imagine a simple circuit with the LED being lit when you flip the master switch. I'll see if I can find a diagram.

Krythis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
WNY
krythis.com
Unless you are using a regulator it doesnt matter which side is going to the master..just put one leg of the LED between switches and the other to the opposite polarity of the battery.

Just imagine a simple circuit with the LED being lit when you flip the master switch. I'll see if I can find a diagram.
Oh ok :) and I put a 470Ω resister on both sides of the LED?

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
Oh ok :) and I put a 470Ω resister on both sides of the LED?

No..like this...forget the 5 volt part...I erased it
drawing.jpg

Krythis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
WNY
krythis.com
Remember the LED is a diode and only lets current flow one way..so the long leg is +...so if it doesnt work just switch legs...doesnt matter which leg the resistor is on.
Right, I understand that much I was just afraid of adding the LED and causing a short. The gf might be a little upset if I hand her an exploding PV :ohmy:

I'll wire this up right now and give it a shot. Thanks for the help :toast:

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
Right, I understand that much I was just afraid of adding the LED and causing a short. The gf might be a little upset if I hand her an exploding PV :ohmy:

I'll wire this up right now and give it a shot. Thanks for the help :toast:
I cant find a good drawing sorry...its pretty simple though...same as the other LED except your tapping into the line between switches and not after the button.

Let us know if you need more help Kry.

you will want to recess the master. if it flips on being in her pocket then it's not doing much good.
much like how most media players have the "hold" button hard to get to and switch.

you could actually build something that has a recessed button and no master. then it cant be turned on with out actually trying to.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Want to take a walk on the wild side? Try a bi-color LED.

image003.gif

Assuming you have a positive switched box, solder one resistor to the center, long common. Attach that to an always available negative.

Note leg lengths are opposite of what you see in standard LEDs where the cathode is usually the short leg.

Now attach one leg before the switch and the other leg after the switch.

Test your LED first, one color will usually override the other when both are available. You now will have an on and a vape indicator in one LED.

Krythis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
WNY
krythis.com
On my own box mod I have a small button on the top near the atty so that when it rests in my pocket and I forget to turn the master off it will be less likely to engage. I did this after my MP1 turned my cart into a smoldering mess while at a stag party lol. I also prefer to hold my PV this way.

Here's the finished product next to mine, thanks again Nico! FYI she's getting my old UltraFires and regular 510 attys...not letting her tap into my LR/High Drain stash just yet. There are boundaries :blush:

DSC00586.JPG

cliff

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Texas
I'm working on a juice fed box mod for someone who is new to vapping and will definitely forget it on and melt the cartridge at some point. I'd like to wire it so that the LED is on whenever the power in on so that she doesn't forget to turn off the master switch before throwing it in her pocket. Does anyone have a link to a how-to for this?
think theres a "how to" at MadVapes on a box mod

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
Want to take a walk on the wild side? Try a bi-color LED.

image003.gif

Assuming you have a positive switched box, solder one resistor to the center, long common. Attach that to an always available negative.

Note leg lengths are opposite of what you see in standard LEDs where the cathode is usually the short leg.

Now attach one leg before the switch and the other leg after the switch.

Test your LED first, one color will usually override the other when both are available. You now will have an on and a vape indicator in one LED.

Yep...thats what I did on my "saving the wickless atty" box...blue for on and green when I hit the button...couldnt figure out how to use the red for empty bottle. LOL

On my own box mod I have a small button on the top near the atty so that when it rests in my pocket and I forget to turn the master off it will be less likely to engage. I did this after my MP1 turned my cart into a smoldering mess while at a stag party lol. I also prefer to hold my PV this way.

Here's the finished product next to mine, thanks again Nico! FYI she's getting my old UltraFires and regular 510 attys...not letting her tap into my LR/High Drain stash just yet. There are boundaries :blush:

DSC00586.JPG

Glad to see you got it going Kry...I'm not a very good explainer...sorry.:toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread