Contemplating a Vamo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA
As the title says, I'm contemplating buying a Vamo. I've done a bunch of reading, but I figure you guys/gals are the real experts. So here's my initial 100 questions:

I've seen a bunch of different measurements; how tall is it in its various configurations - single 18650, 18350, etc.?

I'm assuming it's about the diameter of a C-cell battery?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using the different battery configurations?

I've read about the threads wearing out easily; was this addressed by the V3?

If not (or if I get the V2), is there an adaptor that's generally agreed upon as being the best (or close to it)?

Descriptions say 510/eGo threaded; are they the same thing or two different threads that'll work?

I saw issues with springs; how would I be able to tell if the one I'm looking at has fixed this (other than buying a V3)?

Any other issues I should be aware of? If I buy a V2, it'll be stainless steel.

Last question for now - I'm really not comfortable buying from China. I know most of you have bought from there and haven't had issues, but I'm still weary of it. Any USA vendors you'd recommend? I know I'm going to pay more for piece of mind.

I currently use a Halo Triton system. Through research, I'm under the impression it's a Kanger vGo battery and T2 tank. I've honestly got no complaints, but I'm thinking next step up. I've been using their twist battery at home for a week or two now, and want to look into a higher end VV/VW setup.

GaryInTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
NE Texas, USA
My Vamo in 18650 mode is 5 1/2" tall, 7/8" wide. In 18650 mode with a good 2250 mah battery I can vape for a day and half before I change battery.
Can't discuss the V3. I don't have one.
For my 510 connections like the Protank I use the airflow controller from Madvapes. Works well and preserves the threads. My T3 and T2 clearos are screwed directly to the Vamos' ego threading.
All the new Vamo V2 are being shipped with the new gold colored spring.
Get the good un-protected batteries and a good Nitecore charger and you will be good to go.
A lot of US vendors carry it so you can just choose one. I got 2 of mine from Fasttech for significant savings and had no issues ordering from other then about 10 days to get them. They also offer them in a good package with good batts and chargers for about what you will pay for just the tube here in the US.

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA
Thanks Gary. Much appreciated. My concern with ordering from China isn't how long it'll take; it's what they'll do with my credit card info. I've had some issues in the past. Somehow I had charges being made in China even though I've never been there and they weren't online companies. HSBC was great about reversing the charges, but since they got sold to another bank who's horrible I'm not sure how they'll handle it if it happens again. I'm probably being a bit too paranoid about that, as US companies have had issues too.

I'm going to get one soon, but have to wait for a few things. Just doing my research now.

GaryInTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
NE Texas, USA
Thanks Gary. Much appreciated. My concern with ordering from China isn't how long it'll take; it's what they'll do with my credit card info. I've had some issues in the past. Somehow I had charges being made in China even though I've never been there and they weren't online companies. HSBC was great about reversing the charges, but since they got sold to another bank who's horrible I'm not sure how they'll handle it if it happens again. I'm probably being a bit too paranoid about that, as US companies have had issues too.

I'm going to get one soon, but have to wait for a few things. Just doing my research now.

I use paypal to order from Fasttech. Very secure.

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
I know a lot of people would rather the V2 over the V3. Is this solely due to looks? Has the V3 addressed the soft threads?

Mainly to do with the looks is correct, I'm not sure about soft threads. Since I don't tighten my heads on using a torque wrench or use my Vamo as a hammer I haven't had any thread problems in over 3 months on either of my Vamos.

510 is one type of thread and ego is another type, the Vamo comes with both, as most mods do.

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
This Link has :: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0...vivi-stainless-steel-voltage-adjustable-e-cig

• Nitecore I2 US battery charger / charger cable
  • 2 Panasonic CGR18650CH 18650 batteries

This Link has :: VAMO Rev.2 Variable Power (adjustable wattage), Variable Voltage APV - Polished Stainless

• Efest 18650 Hybrid IMR 2250ma battery
  • Efest 18650 IMR 2000ma battery
  • Multi Li-Ion Charger
  • Trustfire TR-001 Charger -black
  • Trustfire TR-001 Charger -white
  • Set of Efest 18350 800mA button IMR's

Which of the two links would be the better deal?

The SmokTek deal is a littler higher, but has more options. It wouldn't bother me paying a little more IF the Charger and Batteries are BETTER.

Last edited:

b34tn1k

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2013
Littleton, CO
Here is the link for the FastTech starter setup. https://www.fasttech.com/products/0...vivi-stainless-steel-voltage-adjustable-e-cig I wish this was available when I bought mine because I would have saved a lot of money. I have the same setup but purchased it all separately.

Agreed. I paid that much just for the Vamo then bought a trustfire charger, which I've since replaced with the 4 slot nitecore, and all my batteries. I would have saved a pretty penny with that fasttech setup.

b34tn1k

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2013
Littleton, CO
Good question ed101z. My research tells me the Panasonic batteries are better, but I've never seen anyone say one's better than the other.

Didn't realize Fasttech was through Paypal. Makes me feel better about it. Haven't used my account for several years, so I guess I've got to update things.

I've got those Panasonic batteries in the fasstech kit and they're great. I'd ordered mine off ebay, at the time everyone was out of them.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
My concern with ordering from China isn't how long it'll take; it's what they'll do with my credit card info. I've had some issues in the past. Somehow I had charges being made in China even though I've never been there and they weren't online companies.

Fasttech uses PayPal only! If there are any issues on your card, it's a PayPal issue, not a China issue.

LJG514

Verified Member
May 20, 2013
United States
Agreed. I paid that much just for the Vamo then bought a trustfire charger, which I've since replaced with the 4 slot nitecore, and all my batteries. I would have saved a pretty penny with that fasttech setup.

Yup, same here. I have since ordered the 18650s and Nitecore from Fasttech anyway :2c:

Go with the Fasttech deal including the 18650 Panasonic batteries and Nitecore charger. Makes for a great combo and an insane value.

For 350 mode, check out rtdvapor for AW batteries.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
Hands down, no question, go for the Panasonic batteries and Nitecore charger kit. Those accessories are far superior to the ones in the other kit. The Trustfire chargers are absolute garbage. No offense to anyone who likes their Trustfire charger, but it's true.

This Link has :: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0...i-stzzzainless-steel-voltage-adjustable-e-cig

This Link has :: VAMO Rev.2 Variable Power (adjustable wattage), Variable Voltage APV - Polished Stainless

• Multi Li-Ion Charger

The SmokTek deal is a littler higher, but has more options. It wouldn't bother me paying a little more IF the Charger and Batteries are BETTER.

donesmokin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
NE Oregon
This Link has :: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0...vivi-stainless-steel-voltage-adjustable-e-cig

• Multi Li-Ion Charger

Looks to me like all you get at smoktek is the mod. Everything else is extra: (1) Efest 18650 Hybrid IMR 2250ma battery - button top [+$9.99]. Plus $9.99 means add that much more for this battery.

ericbnc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Piedmont Triad, NC
Will the Nitecore charge 18650 and 18350 batteries, or only 18650? I'd like to able to use either battery and not have to buy another charger.

Other than size and possibly run time, what's the difference between 18650 and 18350 from a real-world, non-tech geek standpoint?
The lower contact (shiny metal in photo) for each battery chamber is spring loaded so these will adjust for different length batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread