Contest - 3 winners - What Do You Live For? PLEASE READ THE RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

countrygirl1291

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2011
Texas
I live for my dreams for a couple of reasons.

First, life will never be perfect, and it will sometimes seem tragically imperfect. But as long as I have dreams, I can hope for something different or better.

And second, I can use my dreams to visualize what I want to happen. For example, although I was born and raised in Texas, I dream of moving to Tennessee. I look at real estate listings, I compare prices and cost of living, I talk to other people about my dream, I try to think of all the things that would need to happen in order for that dream to come true, and so on. I know this works because as a child, I dreamed of leaving the city to live in the country. It took me more than 40 years, but that dream came true in 2001.

Without dreams, life would seem pretty bleak at times.

lion6255

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2011
Central Virginia
I live for my Children and my Grandchildren. Watching them grow and mature is pure pleasure for me. After my family comes Birds or Parrots. I work for a Bird rescue and devote every bit of free time and all my free money to helping the homeless Bird find homes. I foster and write email, teach classes etc doing what ever I can to spread the word about homeless and abused Parrots.
I believe I am never happier than when I find a feathered one a home and I know I have chosen carefully and they get adopted.

PRETTYJ6

Jan 6, 2011
PGH PA TO HTOWN TX
What I live for, would be just appreciating life and living for the moment. I love new experiences. For instance, this past June I went sky diving for the first time and boy what an amazing moment it was! It was like I had no care in the world, just living in that moment freely/stress free and loving it! I think for me being spontaneous is a great thing in ones life and sometimes nessacery. Also, I love yoga and for me it has become something I live for. We all know as we can be very busy at times dealing with so many responsibilities in life, that we forget to take care of ourselves or just have that "me" time. And for me, yoga does just that! So about 3-4 times a week I take that time out for myself and since I started about 6 months ago I feel it's helped me deal with stress, everyday life issues, etc.

Mr.Tokes-Alot

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2010
Oregon
I live to be happy and live. I live for music. When I need to clear my head I always have a creative outlet through music. I can sit with a guitar and play randomly for 4 hours and think nothing of it. I pay attention only to the notes I'm playing, as I play them. Some times things strike a chord and I write them down. But usually its the improv that I enjoy the most about it. When I don't have to worry about anything but playing it lets me realize how much I've improved self taught in a few years.

When I need to burn off energy at the same time, or when I've been at the house too much and need to get out. I like to take my ipod, which I nearly always have on me, and turn up just untill I can't hear anything else and skate board. Usually when I get to do this I leave in the early morning on a spring or summers day, and go to a skatepark in town. It's still cool, quiet, and absolutley no kids at the park. Something about the feeling of floating around as you carve are the park is relaxing to me. I can carve up and down the same 3 walls in a circle and be perfectly content. I don't have to do anything fancy, just the act of skating around the park. It just makes me happier, and its a great way to burn off steam if you're irritated about something.

Both are times I tend to zone everything out and just enjoy the moment. But I have to say I always have music going. When I don't, I tap my feet alot. Or I hum, or sing to my self whatever song is stuck in my head. So I do think the better answer here is living for music. Music always puts me in a better mood. I also tend to chain vape alot during both activities... connection? I wonder... haha

jillhumb

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2011
Port Richey Florida
www.youravon.com
Wow, makes you really think . . .
Number One, I live for my family, especially my dear hubby - I so depend on them to get my through the rough patches, and I know they depend on me for the same.
Number Two, I live for my music - both playing music on my keyboards, and listening to all types of music, depending on my mood. Playing music takes me to a place nothing else can match.
Number Three, I live to TRAVEL - before i became ill, we cruised quite a bit, we haven't been able to travel in 10 years, and received a gift of a cruise for our upcoming anniversary - being out on the ocean is another place that is second to none - away from the phones, computers, etc, seeing other cultures, learning to be accepting of them, and just enjoying each other.

those are definitely the top three!!!!
Great contest!

Jill

Pipeous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
Surrey, BC, Canada
www.madpro.ca
It's hard to pick just one thing...

I live in the city, love the city, but need to get away from it. I like to toss the bags on the bike and head out by myself into the mountains to ride abstract hwys away from most cities. Where I see animals, and glacier fed creeks I can drink from. I like to go alone as the peace and quiet of nature really rejuvinates me. winter sucks since I am stuck here and can't ride...

that is choice number 2. I need to jam. playing music with others. I do this more in winter than I do summer. that said I can't wait until friday night. I don't mind plucking on the guitar by myself but it's just so much more fun in a group

Shizzle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2011
the burbs
i live for Dogs. never having had a dog as a child, the reciprocal love of our 8yr old rescue dog was even more magical than i imagined it would be. even the worst of days are ok when a bundle of fur comes running up to greet you. our beloved Mandy lived for another 8 years. the pain of losing her this spring was so severe for my son, my husband and myself, that we didn't think we could ever love another dog again. but, Miss Waffles (our newly adopted family member) is proving us very wrong. :)

Last edited:

jonny2hottie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2010
Strong Beach, CALI
www.youtube.com
first off, i live for my family and my beautiful daughter, Olivia.

now thats outta the way.....

i live for being on 2 wheels! i love riding on anything with two wheels. i've had a few motorcycles and scooters but theres nothing like riding with the wind in your face and the freedom of speed at the twist of the wrist. leaning over the bike into turns at unruly speeds and the excitement and adrenaline rush of going over 150mph with nothing around you but a jacket and a helmet. the feel of the bike under you is exhilarating and the sound of the motor rumbling at screaming RPM's or even idle at a stop light. you feel like your the MAN! (or woman). no words can explain my love for the beauty and emotion i put into specializing each bike that i have. its like being the proud father of a shining star.

i love riding my road bicycle too. either fast or slow at a constant rate of control over what your doing and where your going. its great exercise but i found that its more relaxing. seeing the road ahead of you and pushing your bodies limits to reach distance and time goals gives a sense of achievement. switching gears as i speed through the streets and cruising by electronic speed detectors on the road that read 30+mph as you fly by on a bicycle! on a bicycle the wind is in your face but nowhere near a motorcycles speed. yet it still gives me a sense of freedom not being enclosed into something at a high rate of speed.

i love longboarding, though not 2 wheels it has two sets of trucks holding 2 wheels each. i love bombing down hills with only your bodies sense of balance to steer you left and right as you race down with nothing but a piece of wood under your feet. or even just cruising on beach boardwalks..you glide by the scenic routes with little to no effort and it brings me to a place of tranquility.

all in all nothing can clear my mind and make me feel empowered at the same time like being on 2 wheels. it brings me inner peace. I LIVE TO BE ON 2 WHEELS!

Last edited:

Kelsey

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2011
LAKE ARIEL, PENNSYLVANIA
I don't see how you can judge this contest without it being based on appealing to your personal sense of, "living in the moment." If it matters how we feel, then why would you be choosing the answers based on your opinion on how we feel? The topic is far too subjective. I appreciate you holding a contest, and you can judge it anyway you like. That's just my input.

My greatest joy in life is comedy, since it is everywhere.

HzG8rGrl

Trippy Tip Hoarder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2009
*The Swamp*
www.youtube.com
To put our minds in a place nothing/no one can infiltrate we:
Load the kayaks up with water, snacks, worms, fishing poles and a camera. Pull them to the Guana Reserve and hop in. Watch the sunrise on the way out. A long day fishing and pics of the wildlife with no-one around is as relaxing as it gets. No cell phones allowed, just us and mother nature. Reminds us of how life is supposed to work and where we came from.
The birds feeding/migrating, the fish jumping, the gators sunbathing and us in awe of what the world offers up in beauty and life's lessons on being free and working for your food for the day. Animals can teach us so much if we just sit back and watch them in their own environment.
Watching the sunset as we come back in.
Love it, love it.

Living for: My family. They brighten my days and nights. I enjoy cooking their meals and seeing them clean their plates and caring for them while sick. To know you can make someone smile when they feel bad is a wonderful feeling. The love you can make someone feel and the love given/shown in return is a gift. When the girls go home after a visit, I know they go feeling happy and loved and with big smiles in their hearts.

Last edited:
I live for my daughter. When I was 22 I was standing on the cliff of serious addictions, not actually living my life just drinking and partying it away. I have a whole year I remember in blurs and cringes. So when I found out I was pregnant I was shocked, but gave it serious thought and it felt like I was supposed to take this path.
Millie is my sun and moon. She's almost 5 now and I don't look back on my life before her with any sort of envy. She is amazing, and I never fail to be awestruck by her. Right now the big deals in my house are music and art. She's just gotten into the phase of making up silly little songs about everything she's doing. Seriously, there's a song for going up the stairs, for taking a bath, for going DOWN the stairs, for petting the cat.. you name it. Music has always been a big deal for me, and she desperately wants to learn guitar like Mom. So our deal is, the first time she can read me a whole book all by herself, we will go get her a little Millie-sized acoustic guitar. Of course it has to be pink. Art is generally painting, but right now we are all about face paint. I have become an expert at how to turn a wee little face into a butterfly or tiger. I think the best part about it is we sit for like 20 minutes just talking. And, of course, there is a face painting song that changes depending on what she is getting done lol.
I can honestly say that if it wasn't for Millie it would be questionable whether I was here today or not. Well- I know I wouldn't be HERE, here. She is my motivating factor to quit smoking, get healthy. I want to see who she turns out to be. But if it wasn't for Millie... I probably would have gotten the last 20 hours of my BA in Psychology done. I probably would have gotten a DUI like the majority of my friends at the time did. I might have hurt someone else, or myself. I surely would be the same selfish person, and that is the shame of it. I never knew I was capable of giving so much time and effort and love to someone else. She is terrifying because of how much she means to me, but I gladly live for Millie.

n2danexxus

ECF Veteran
I don't see how you can judge this contest without it being based on appealing to your personal sense of, "living in the moment." If it matters how we feel, then why would you be choosing the answers based on your opinion on how we feel? The topic is far too subjective. I appreciate you holding a contest, and you can judge it anyway you like. That's just my input.

My greatest joy in life is comedy, since it is everywhere.

This contest is more about spurring conversation and most of all, about you. Giving something away is just the icing on the cake, as giving stuff away is also something I enjoy :) Many people do not take the time to find or do something entirely for themselves. I don't find those moments to be selfish, but important to living a healthy and productive life. Many people work their lives away but don't have something they are working for. For that moment of pure pleasure in what you are doing. Hard to explain, but the concept is understood.

I agree, I have to judge the winner on my personal opinion but I will base that decision on what I outlined in the first post. In particular, something one does for themselves and themselves alone. What they do to clear their mind and find those moments of true self motivation and inspiration. There are so many people that posted here that have amazing hearts, it's truly refreshing. Even though many of these posts did not completely stick to the core concept, they are in the running for the random drawings and more importantly, may have reminded themselves of what makes life meaningful

TLDR - I'm not going to make this decision based on "hey that's cool". It will be made based on the concept outlined in the first post.

n2danexxus

ECF Veteran
I live for my dreams for a couple of reasons.

First, life will never be perfect, and it will sometimes seem tragically imperfect. But as long as I have dreams, I can hope for something different or better.

And second, I can use my dreams to visualize what I want to happen. For example, although I was born and raised in Texas, I dream of moving to Tennessee. I look at real estate listings, I compare prices and cost of living, I talk to other people about my dream, I try to think of all the things that would need to happen in order for that dream to come true, and so on. I know this works because as a child, I dreamed of leaving the city to live in the country. It took me more than 40 years, but that dream came true in 2001.

Without dreams, life would seem pretty bleak at times.

Where in TN did you have in mind? I'm out in far east TN in the mountains. I love it, there's nothing like a good hike. Check out foreclosures and short sales. My in-laws are looking for a place here too, they're in PA.

Bwig

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2010
kentucky
First off, I live for my family; what i consider really living is ATV riding with my grandson Braxton, As he laughs and yells when the wind hits his little face is priceless and its just me and him in the quite peaceful Mt. of Eastern Kentucky. I've had some really rough times in the last few years even a few I didn't think I would live to tell about and just to know God has blessed me with something like Braxton that can brighten up my life is just awesome.

Lorizgal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2010
Really near the mexican border.
When I first read the rules for this contest and then read everyone's posts, I thought to my self yeah that's a good one or yeah that other one is really good; but honestly there is only one thing I do when ever I need to "get into my space" which I really don't have time for, lately at least.
That one thing is to draw blueprints for the house I want to someday build. It is what my family calls a dinosaur poop house. It is round or rather several small round houses connected together with short tunnels.My house has 12 inch thick walls, a water purifying system (to pull water out of the air - for fresh water - I live in the desert), a 9 foot tub built into the wall of the bathroom. My house has a green room a place to grow fresh food inside, to provide 02 for the house and our expelled air provides the CO2 for the plants. My house has such great insulation that the house itself stays @ a even 69degrees at all times.
I don't know if I would do the composting toilets as of yet, but who knows, it may happen. I will be using solar panals for the energy used in the house. I will have one large unity for the green room, kitchen, living, dining, small bathroom and tv area, the 2nd unit will be the master bedroom with a private and very large 9 foot L x 4 foot W x 3 foot D tub with seperate shower area and two sinks. The 3rd xtra small unit will be for any small animals we happen to be caring for at that time. A room and play area all in one. The fourth and fifth units will be individual small apartments, so that my children, friends and family can come home, have a bed, a place to be, to grow and to evolve with us if they desire but also a place to be themselves in their own space. About 1 time per year I draw the specs and then spend all year adjusting those specs to other ideas I have etc...
And then I draw them again, and again and so on. It's a process and it's my thing, just my thing. It belongs to no one else. Just to me, I will say my family thinks I am absolutely out of my mind, but I come by it naturally; My dad always wanted a house like this too, when he was alive and when he talked about it, he always smiled from ear to ear.
I want to do this because then I will almost erase my total carbon imprint and live as one with my earth.
Thank you for this contest I think it's great.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
I don't know if this contest is still going on or not but here goes....

I live for motorcycle riding. It's just me and the road. It's dangerous because I don't have a lot of steel around me to protect me but that just adds to the excitement. I love to ride on curvy roads just for the thrill of it. I love it because I have to concentrate very hard on everything around me and what other drivers are doing and this gets my mind off everyday stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread