Coolfire 4 Plus Over-firing while charging...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamensterms

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2012
Australia
Hey,

I've had the Coolfire 4 Plus for a couple of days, came fully charged so haven't had then need to charge it until tonight.

It is supposed to have pass through (or vape-while-charging) capability, which it does... But not without incident.

The issue I am having is that every now and then, when firing while charging (not every time, maybe 1 in 6) the mod will continue to fire for another 2-3 seconds, even after I have released the fire button.

I have only noticed this behavior while charging the device.

I'm pretty sure the fire button is not getting physically stuck, but it fires as if it is.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if you think this is a dangerous malfunction?

Worth getting a replacement?

I've got it on a 5V, 1A charger, and the display does blink while it's charging (not sure if that is normal).

Looking forward to hearing any advice.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

lamensterms

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2012
Australia
Response from Innokin:
"This should be not dangerous at all . since the products have lots protections on board . but if you still feel uncomfortable to use that , you can use the attached steps to return ." - warranty form attached.

I have since found that the problem with the over-fire only presented itself when charging with one of my USB chargers. I have tested on another USB charger and the problem was not present. Both chargers are at 5V, 1A.

Ronald3638

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2013
Zeeland, MI, USA
Having owned R/C Cars, Planes and boats for decades; one rule of thumb for battery safety and longevity has been never charge or discharge a warm (especially a hot) battery.

So is it really a good idea to vape while charging?

For me I just grab another MOD (or battery if it's replaceable) and let the other battery rest for a half hour or more before charging.

Of course if you only have one MOD or one battery you wouldn't have much choice.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I always remove the tank while charging and swap to another mod, so I haven't noticed that. The only issue I have is that my Coolfire IV doesn't tell my when charging is complete. I have to periodically go over and unplug it for a few seconds and then plug it back in. It will go through the self test indicator leds and then go dark if it's fully charged.

Mine does get slightly warm when charging and it cools as it approaches full charge. I've monitored the milliamp current level with an inline digital voltage/current meter that plugs in series with the USB port. It starts at 5.2v/800ma and tapers down in current as the device charges. It's not overcharging the mod.

Reactions: lamensterms

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thanks Dave. Do you have the Coolfire 4 Plus or the original? I've just been charging until the battery meter is full, haven't really observed if there is any indication from the LED that the battery is fully charged.

The original. It has the red/yellow/green battery indicator. It will cycle through all three colors if the battery is low enough. It just doesn't turn the led off when it's done charging. I have to unplug and replug periodically to get it to check again. If it's charged, then at that time the led will cycle and go dark. Lots of people have the same problem. The battery meter will look full before it's actually fully charged.

It's my goto mod for stealth carry when I go out. It fits in a pocket nicely and the battery last 6 hours or more at 10W. USB charging is a plus.

Last edited:
Reactions: lamensterms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread